Match Thread Coventry City vs. Southend United Match Thread - Saturday 29th Dec (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Move Sterling up the park and bring in Grimmer. You can also make these two interchangeable during the game...they both have a good cross ball, which is missing from Thomas's game...

I'm really warming to the idea that you and a few others have suggested of bring Grimmer in and pushing Sterling forward.

My initial thoughts were that he'd bring back Doyle and push Bayliss wide put I prefer your idea.

Bayliss hasn't been great recently but maybe the goal will kick start his season. Would be a shame to push him out wide now.

NorthernWisdom

I'm really warming to the idea that you and a few others have suggested of bring Grimmer in and pushing Sterling forward.

My initial thoughts were that he'd bring back Doyle and push Bayliss wide put I prefer your idea.

Bayliss hasn't been great recently but maybe the goal will kick start his season. Would be a shame to push him out wide now.
Maybe he hasn't been great because he's not playing out wide?;)

Esoterica

If Thomas is out, Zain Westbrooke into the more advanced midfield position and move Bayliss to the right. I don't think Kelly has enough to his game to play higher in midfield at this level and certainly don't want to go back to 2 DMs.

Cranfield Sky Blue

Bloody hope not.

Sensible thing to do is to just push Bayliss right and bring Doyle in.

Or... more sensible to change as little as possible. Allessani in for Thomas? I thought he’s looked good when he has come on. Very direct and quite quick. Perfect replacement for Thomas. (But not as good!)

steve82

Or... more sensible to change as little as possible. Allessani in for Thomas? I thought he’s looked good when he has come on. Very direct and quite quick. Perfect replacement for Thomas. (But not as good!)

I think we’re underestimating the quality of defensive work Thomas does and will miss massively, ive question marks over if Allesani can be the answer just like Hiwula failed to answer in the defensive aspects.

I’d move Bayliss to the right personally and allowing Kelly to go box to box with Doyle back in if he can make the selection.

What was the reason for Ogogo not even near the bench apart from the obvious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luwalla

whatever team he plays, I just hope we go out wit the same dynamic play & intent , as we did against Charlton. Some of the best passing , attacking & closing down play ive seen this season... and it worked!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Preferable not to change a winning team if possible, but will likely need early changes due to fatigue after boxing day. I'd have Westbrooke on the bench as a like-for-like for Bayliss after 70 mins or so. Brown could be a replacement for either Mason or Shipley if either tire.

Thomas out, I'm thinking Grimmer in front of Sterling? Don't really want to mess with the defence if possible and Sterling has started to look comfortable. Allassani on the bench if needed. I think MR will go for Bayliss on the right and either Doyle or Ogogo in the centre unfortunately.

_____________Burge
Sterling___Willis____Hyam____Mason
Grimmer_Bayliss____Kelly____Shipley
________Chaplin___Hiwula

Subs: Addai; Davies; Brown; Doyle/Ogogo; Westbrooke; Allassani; JCH

Nick

Administrator
Preferable not to change a winning team if possible, but will likely need early changes due to fatigue after boxing day. I'd have Westbrooke on the bench as a like-for-like for Bayliss after 70 mins or so. Brown could be a replacement for either Mason or Shipley if either tire.

Thomas out, I'm thinking Grimmer in front of Sterling? Don't really want to mess with the defence if possible and Sterling has started to look comfortable. Allassani on the bench if needed. I think MR will go for Bayliss on the right and either Doyle or Ogogo in the centre unfortunately.

_____________Burge
Sterling___Willis____Hyam____Mason
Grimmer_Bayliss____Kelly____Shipley
________Chaplin___Hiwula

Subs: Addai; Davies; Brown; Doyle/Ogogo; Westbrooke; Allassani; JCH

Grimmer right midfield? Why?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Grimmer right midfield? Why?

Because he's a natural right sided player. OK, he's defensive but wasn't afraid to get forward last year. He'd help out Sterling behind him in terms of covering as well.

What other options?
Bayliss? Not a natural wide player and when we've shoved him out there he looks a shadow of the player he can be (and he underperformed this year anyway). I can't see him doing the tracking back and his propensity to dribble and lose the ball aren't going to help matters without someone able to cover him like he gets in the centre.
Allassani? Preferable to Bayliss but I'm not sure he's totally comfortable as a wide player or his ability to track yet?
Hickman? Possibly - he can play anywhere on the right but his lack of experience (especially with someone almost as inexperienced as himself behind him) might be a potential weakness.

As I said Grimmer could go RB with Sterling in front, but I'd rather not mess with the defence if possible, especially when Sterling has started to look so capable there. I'm not saying Grimmer RM what I'd like but we have very few options and I think it's the one I don't like the least.

Gibbo

I prefer Sterling at Right Back, he is more solid defensively.

We tried the Sterling thing attacking against Oxford and it didn't really work.
I agree but it has to be said that this was before Sterling found his feet

Warwickhunt

hoping Doyler will be back in the side but had heard he had a bust up with the coaching staff, so who knows.
when doesn't Doyler have a bust up with the coaching staff? he would only get dropped if he had a go at MR methinks! I think the lad has been playing with an injury all season and i think the rest will do him good if he recovers from the Knee ligament strain he will be in

pusbccfc

Grimmer/Dujon further forward? No thanks.

Greggs

Allasani infront of Sterling, Sterling told just to defend.

no_loyalty

Sterling at RM, Willis at RB and Davies in at CB.

Limey

Doyle and Kelly will be safe option and we might, might, grind it out.
Feels like a backwards step though. Need some goal scoring momentum.
Time to be brave Robins!

Nick

Administrator
The last game was a bit like the Charlton one from what I remember. We went ahead in the first half, second half they made some changes and were on top. I think their silly sending off helped us and we nicked a winner at the end.

I'd be happy with a repeat if my nerves could take it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Maybe if we kidnap Tom Davies from Everton we can stick him in the middle and nobody'll know the difference.

CanadianCCFC

The last game was a bit like the Charlton one from what I remember. We went ahead in the first half, second half they made some changes and were on top. I think their silly sending off helped us and we nicked a winner at the end.

I'd be happy with a repeat if my nerves could take it.
Also had a disallowed goal that clearly crossed the line

Nick

Administrator
Another mild day :)

Hope we get at them straight from the off, they didn't like Jones running at them when he came on so hopefully if Hiwula can run at them a bit they will back off.

Woken up feeling confident, 3-1 to us.

Gibbo

Too many team permutations are available, so hard to say what will happen. We apparently attacked hard against Charlton (and did so for the last 120 seconds against Luton) and i hope that continues. There is a lot of love for Thomas, but the end output was not always that great so he may not be as missed as you think. Heading up today with my daughter. The last time she went with me was the Play Off final and before that Bury at home (6-0), hopefully she can continue her winning record.
Narrow squeaky win 2-1

greys4life

Can't make it today - first one missed at home!

I'd like to hear Alassani to start but if not at least given more than 10 minutes and JCH on the bench if not used as the bench. Going for a 2-1 win.

Users who are viewing this thread