Match Thread Coventry City vs Plymouth Argyle Match Thread - Saturday 18th Aug (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
He's quick though. Having a creative 3 players behind him could produce something.

Playing Biamou or Bakayoko up front is a bit blunt for me. Not sure what future there is for JCH at this point either.
That's where you need players like Thomas out wide who can make runs.

Nonleagueherewecome

Why isn’t Shipley starting games? He’s tracking back - going forward - creating
Got to be close to forcing his way in now? That's two very positive performances from the bench in a week and I think he was one of our best players in the Playoff games last season...

Grendel

Ha ha Peter best phone in caller ever

BackRoomRummermill

Not bad a win , we really need some sparkle now to see a game out . We have Bayliss just a good link up striker would be good . Overall a C+ start , which for me is more than happy given league step up .

Nonleagueherewecome

Drop andreu, Thomas on the right, bayliss in the middle, Shipley on the left

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Like the sound of that!

cc84cov

I think team selection will be easier for Robins Tuesday Hiwula was poor awful first touch although won the penalty. Bayliss is better central and luke Thomas looked absolute class,that would be my 3 behind Baka 100%

TheDube

Looked a lot of tired legs in the second half. Bayliss didn't look right, don't know whether the challenge in the first half affected him.
Willis, Ogogo, Sterling, Hyam, Bakayoko and Andreu all looked like they were struggling. Doyle was good and controlled the midfield, really acted as the enforcer. Ogogo was good in the first half and sniffed out a lot of danger, his positional sense looked top notch. Thomas and Shipley off the bench helped stretch them, but they were tired too. Would keep Thomas as an impact sub for a few weeks but wouldn't be surprised to see him start soon. Hiwula did little other than win the penalty so could easily see Shipley replace him.

Grendel

I was the pete after just to be clear but great they let someone on who’s not been to the game and he says the commentary was rubbish

On the way in I just heard Linnell slobbering over Baker and Baker using it as an advert to get a contract

SkyblueBazza

For anyone bemoaning our signings & faring so far...look at the table. We are faring better than the other 3 promoted. AND they need time to gel fully as a team.

Far too early to be especially positive or negative imo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AFCCOVENTRY

You have to remember there are a lot of new players in this squad. They are playing their first few competitive games together. By game 10 it's fair to see if they are gelling or not.

jordan210

I have to say now you get video and c&w at the same time. You wonder what match they are watching. Some of the names they call the players and teams. Awful.

Baker made it bearable as you get more of an insight in to how things are being an ex pro.

Kingokings204

Great win today and just like i posted before the match. Win today and it all looks very different. Now we are 4 points from 9 after 3 games. Decent start. Play a very poor Blackpool side on Tuesday. New players gelling. Jodi jones not even fit yet.

I’m very excited for the season ahead. Well done lads.

NorthernWisdom

We’re doing the best out of the 4 promoted teams so far

CCFC 13th
Accrington 14th
Luton 22nd
Wycombe 23rd
Bit surprised to see Luton so far down... and Accriungton so far up tbh!

Fully expect Accrington to go down after they lost a player or two. Wycombe I can't see being equipped either.

Still not overly confident about us, mind... but at least we've got the win!

CovInEssex

I try and see the best from new signings, glimpses of something magic etc, Hiwula has shown me nothing. Apart from getting his leg chopped on the dribble today.

Luke Thomas on the other hand looks special.

The CableGuy

We deserved that. Very pleased with the questions we asked Plymouth, more so with how we dealt with their threat. Should have scored more but for now I'm happy with 1-0 and 3 points to kickstart our season.

dazed&confused

I try and see the best from new signings, glimpses of something magic etc, Hiwula has shown me nothing. Apart from getting his leg chopped on the dribble today.

Luke Thomas on the other hand looks special.

I liked his directness and willingness to dribble with the ball in dangerous areas. And he wasn't afraid to shoot. But he's not going to be winning any headers in the box unless he brings a ladder to work.

Otis

We deserved that. Very pleased with the questions we asked Plymouth, more so with how we dealt with their threat. Should have scored more but for now I'm happy with 1-0 and 3 points to kickstart our season.
We did deserve it. We may have been on the back foot for large portions of the game, but we had more chances and tested their keeper on a number of occasions. O'Brien just had the one save didn't he?

They pressured us and kept knocking balls into the box, but our last ditch defending was pretty good. Was concerned about the amount of headers their strikers won however. They dominated us the whole game in that department.

dazed&confused

Got to be close to forcing his way in now? That's two very positive performances from the bench in a week and I think he was one of our best players in the Playoff games last season...

Yep, Shipley is a proper midfielder. He looks physically strong; tracks back; closes players down; tackles, and he's also got a decent shot on him. I'm even prepared to forgive his miss when one on one with the keeper with a couple of minutes to go. Bayliss looks wonderful when gliding forward with the ball, but, dare I say, his midfield presence is often lightweight. He could learn a thing of two from Shipley.

Brighton Sky Blue

We did deserve it. We may have been on the back foot for large portions of the game, but we had more chances and tested their keeper on a number of occasions. O'Brien just had the one save didn't he?

They pressured us and kept knocking balls into the box, but our last ditch defending was pretty good. Was concerned about the amount of headers their strikers won however. They dominated us the whole game in that department.

Winning when not playing great is a good sign for sure. A clinical finisher is sorely lacking though.

Nick

Administrator
Yep, Shipley is a proper midfielder. He looks physically strong; tracks back; closes players down; tackles, and he's also got a decent shot on him. I'm even prepared to forgive his miss when one on one with the keeper with a couple of minutes to go. Bayliss looks wonderful when gliding forward with the ball, but, dare I say, his midfield presence is often lightweight. He could learn a thing of two from Shipley.

It's about the balance too. Shipley seemed to come on with a bit of confidence, he can miss chances like that but still try things.

Hiwula looks at the minute like if he would have missed that it would have broken him.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I was the pete after just to be clear but great they let someone on who’s not been to the game and he says the commentary was rubbish

Are you the Pete that Linnell always seems to want to talk to instead of your boy?

I’m not sure if he just doesn’t know how to deal with talking to younger fans as everytime kid fans call up, he’s always wanting to know who they’re with and if he can talk to them!

Nick

Administrator
Are you the Pete that Linnell always seems to want to talk to instead of your boy?

I’m not sure if he just doesn’t know how to deal with talking to younger fans as everytime kid fans call up, he’s always wanting to know who they’re with and if he can talk to them!

He is over 60 and works for the BBC.*

giphy.gif

*This is just a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread