Match Thread Coventry City vs Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 12th May (1 Viewer)

Mcbean

Big turnout Saturday for a very tense game - then the away leg attended by the golden ticket brigade can bring the team through :)

Mucca Mad Boys

I'd take that, no problem.

Would quite fancy our chances going there on the back of a draw.

Me too, Notts County are very good at not losing at home, losing only 2/23, but have also drawn 7 games which is a quite lot. Looking at some of these stats (link provided), Notts County is very reliant on their home form; 64% of their points came from home, and 61% of their goals scored, and have 40% of their conceded at home. It is worth noting that we have the best away record of the three teams in the playoffs.

Being at home first, without a doubt, is an advantage in this particular tie, we have to capitalise on that. Going to Meadow Lane with something to protect will favour us massively.

England - League Two - home and away tables

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 12.29.32.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 12.29.32.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 21

Great_Expectations

Player v player we have the better team, so the result depends on two things:

1) the mental strength of our players
2) MR’s tactics.

The latter is especially important; if Robins allows us to attack and gives the front 4/5 freedom I think we’ll take them by surprise and win comfortably. However I’ve hoped MR would play that way all season and it has rarely happened.

We need to let some of our better and/or key players use their full ability;

McNulty - great movement and pace
Bayliss - comfortable running at teams and putting them on the back foot
Kelly - still not sure overall, but has shown he has an impressive attacking side
Doyle - be the anchor and battler in midfield, but not the playmaker

If those four are allowed to use their strengths and JCH/Biamou have a good game, we’ll be too much for them. I’d also bring on Reid for the last 30 regardless of score, as they’re a slow team as it is never mind at that stage in the game.

If all that happens: 3-0.

CCFC54321

I’m a pessimist at the best of times but I see a 1-1 home draw followed by a disappointing 1-0 away loss with the same old hard luck story.

I thought some players looked tired and nervous Saturday. Just don’t have any confidence in them pulling this one off.

Liquid Gold

I'm trying not to think about it really. All this discussion about attendances and ticket allocation is perfect as it distracts me from realising we play a playoff game tomorrow. When that realisation creeps in I start bricking it. I reckon others are the same.

Hobo

It would be nice to take a lead to County, but even if we draw at home it wouldn't be a disaster. The key is not to lose the home leg.

shmmeee

Didn’t expect us to go up this year so very chilled. Also know that even a 4-0 lead wouldn’t be safe so no need to get overly stressed until next week.

Liquid Gold

I keep going from being really nervous about keeping the tie alive and being convinced we'll score 4. If the team that played against Cheltenham turns up then we'll blow them away.

Nick

Administrator
I'm not that nervous yet, I will be tomorrow though. Even more if we have our backs to the walls.

The only good thing about not getting a ticket to the away game is that I can literally hide away if I can't handle the nerves in the last few minutes.

Johnnythespider

I'm not nervous at the minute, but i think the late kick off tomorrow, having all day to wait will crank it up a few degrees. Then when I see their fans that will do it. My lad on the other hand is bouncing around like a bouncy thing, "is my shirt clean dad" " has my shirt been washed yet" every 5 mins. As for the game, in dreams we finish with a 3 goal cushion, but in reality I expect a tight tense game, if we can go to the second leg with any kind of lead I will be happy.

Liquid Gold

I'm thinking we'll lose again now. The symmetry of our season starting and ending against Notts County just worries me.

Ricketts

It's a bit of a strange one, to be honest, because the game is almost irelevant.

No matter what the result is, other than perhaps 5-0 or 0-5, we will still have it all to do in the second leg.

Gibbo

To be quite honest, I have to keep reminding myself that there is a game on.

Maybe the best way to be. Might enjoy the game more that way and not be quite so uptight.
You are just not used to competitive football this late in the football year

steve82

I’m not confident of us gaining promotion as 6th spot is statistically the worst spot of the 4 to finish.

Lincoln claimed the best spot in 7th.

Plus add the meadow lane jinx in means we’ve got to do the job tomorrow night to get to Wembley

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

I’m not confident of us gaining promotion as 6th spot is statistically the worst spot of the 4 to finish.

Lincoln claimed the best spot in 7th.

Plus add the meadow lane jinx in means we’ve got to do the job tomorrow night to get to Wembley

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Both are statistical anomalies that need to be evened out. About time we started.

Nick

Administrator
What we need is to smash their players in the first minute to show we won't be bullied and the battle is on.

Let's not lie to ourselves that one of our players absolutely hammering one of theirs in a 50/50 and all the players having a scuffle wouldn't get the fans going and set the tone :)

giphy.gif

We also need to be switched on from the first minute, none of this like Lincoln where we let them get in early and set how the game is going to be.

Liquid Gold

What we need is to smash their players in the first minute to show we won't be bullied and the battle is on.

Let's not lie to ourselves that one of our players absolutely hammering one of theirs in a 50/50 and all the players having a scuffle wouldn't get the fans going and set the tone :)

giphy.gif

We also need to be switched on from the first minute, none of this like Lincoln where we let them get in early and set how the game is going to be.
Equally it's our job as fans to stay behind the team no matter what is happening nobody should be telling players they're shit or groaning at misplaces passes. They always play better with good support and we could make it more difficult for county be really getting behind the team.

Nick

Administrator
Equally it's our job as fans to stay behind the team no matter what is happening nobody should be telling players they're shit or groaning at misplaces passes. They always play better with good support and we could make it more difficult for county be really getting behind the team.

We should also be making it difficult for their players and fans.

None of this friendly stuff that always happens. "Welcome to the ricoh arena, let us tickle your bollocks"

Every time their players get a throw in or a corner etc it should be boo on them and a little bit hostile. Not silly and violent but just uncomfortable.

We also need the ball boys prepped and briefed.

Greggs

Very nervous! Wish it was a 3pm Ko, those extra few hours are gonna drag!!!!

Greggs

We should also be making it difficult for their players and fans.

None of this friendly stuff that always happens. "Welcome to the ricoh arena, let us tickle your bollocks"

Every time their players get a throw in or a corner etc it should be boo on them and a little bit hostile. Not silly and violent but just uncomfortable.

We also need the ball boys prepped and briefed.
Where are you from Nick? I used to play a decent standard and can think of a few places we played like this! Even locally there were a few places that weren't nice to go !!

Nick

Administrator
Where are you from Nick? I used to play a decent standard and can think of a few places we played like this! Even locally there were a few places that weren't nice to go !!

I am from Coventry :)

I'm just saying we shouldn't make it nice and friendly and relaxed. It's all well and good booing our players if we perform well but why not hammer their players. Not taking it too far obviously but just not the red carpet we always roll out for the opposition.

If we get Lincoln, I want to see Sky Blue Sam punching their mascot and busting out a stone cold stunner on him.

Mucca Mad Boys

It'll be interesting to see how we approach this game, Robins remembers that two-legged game vs Crewe and said:

"I remember the game against Crewe in the Football League Trophy a few years ago and the Ricoh was a full house. We just wanted to score on every attack and then three counter-attack goals made it an uphill struggle for us... If you are still in the tie for the second leg then you have to be happy because it is two games."

So the approach will be different, but from that last sentence, I think MR will be pleased with a draw. As per a regular season record, I think we need to score first as we've never lost when taking the lead. Conversely, at home we've conceded first 7 times, failing to win any time, with a record of W0 D1 L6.

Macca

I'm well chilled because like some others I just can't picture it happening for us. Based on nothing more than it never does. I already have a auto promotion push in my head for next year so if we make it through this will be a massive bonus. If we don't then we move on

Gibbo

Their top scorer is Jorge Grant (pronounced George - mum is Portuguese), he was an alumni of the school down the road from me here in Witney, and also a mate of my daughter's boyfriend, so we have kept half an eye on him this year. He is on his second loan spell from Notts Forest, not that big and scores mainly from midfield (according to my source Barney). Crucially, of late he has been dropped as the goals have dried up, which might account for their slump in form in the new year.
Doyle on his case? Davies on Jon Stead's

Users who are viewing this thread