Match Thread Coventry City vs. Luton Town Match Thread - Saturday 15th Dec (2 Viewers)

covcity4life

Haha, that is absurd. Both got them relegated. Pardew finished the job, that Pulis had started. He was never going to save them. Can't deny the stats.
the stats are he left them 1 pt above the relegation spots. pardew then got them rock bottom and releagted before moore gave them some pride at end of season.

a poor period for him sure but his c.v cannot be argued with

a success at stoke,west brom,palace and currently at middlesborough

skybluegod

the stats are he left them 1 pt above the relegation spots. pardew then got them rock bottom and relegated before moore gave them some pride at end of season.

What constitutes success?

That stats also show that over the course of the season he would have had less points than those teams relegated. You are using selective picking of your stats. The only reason Pulis never gets relegated is as he is never given the chance to Finish the job. He did well at Stoke. Had a few good months at Palace but quickly left. He undoubtedly destroyed West Brom. Left no long-term planning at any club however.

If my team was in a relegation battle would i bring him in yes. Would I have him longer term no. He doesn't move clubs forwards which is his problem, standing still is going backwards.

You say you want someone who is effective with the ball going forward, not necessarily pretty right? (or did i imagine that?) joint fifth lowest scoring team in the Championship?

I remember an article at the time which said, he prefers effective rather than pretty, but as soon as being effective stps working (liek West Brom) there is no good will because if he can't sort the defence he has no idea how to attack.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

It makes me laugh how long ball tactics is bemoaned so much and labelled prehistoric football.
Fans of a age of say 35+ grew up on football with effective strong target men and tricky quick wingers with no nonsense midfielders who could play, purposeful balls up to the big man who if your lucky could score if not the tricky fast fella next to him would bag the goals of his work. Commanding central defenders who get on the end of set pieces

Now we all want to be wowed by silky possession based football but it cannot be passed backwards, only in the oppositions half and score with every attack.

Plenty of sides still have success throughout the league with these prehistoric bread and butter tactics, and yes just to clarify their is a great deal of difference in attacking with purpose and lumped balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly - I wouldn't call it prehistoric though. That style of football definitely still has a place in the lower leagues, as long as it's done with purpose as you say.

steve82

the stats are he left them 1 pt above the relegation spots. pardew then got them rock bottom and releagted before moore gave them some pride at end of season.

Gillingham too, added to the title of manager of the season 2013/14.

All managers have bed spells, really bad spells or some success.

* Tony Pulis has never actually been relegated as a manager I believe. (Sorry)

steve82

Exactly - I wouldn't call it prehistoric though. That style of football definitely still has a place in the lower leagues, as long as it's done with purpose as you say.

Agree with all that. Lincoln are a great example of attacking with purpose

Ashdown

It makes me laugh how long ball tactics is bemoaned so much and labelled prehistoric football.
Fans of a age of say 35+ grew up on football with effective strong target men and tricky quick wingers with no nonsense midfielders who could play, purposeful balls up to the big man who if your lucky could score if not the tricky fast fella next to him would bag the goals of his work. Commanding central defenders who get on the end of set pieces

Now we all want to be wowed by silky possession based football but it cannot be passed backwards, only in the oppositions half and score with every attack.

Plenty of sides still have success throughout the league with these prehistoric bread and butter tactics, and yes just to clarify their is a great deal of difference in attacking with purpose and lumped balls.

Wallace/Fergie, Steve Hunt/Yorath.......Hutch on the wing........poetry in motion !

covcity4life

What constitutes success?

That stats also show that over the course of the season he would have had less points than those teams relegated. You are using selective picking of your stats. The only reason Pulis never gets relegated is as he is never given the chance to Finish the job. He did well at Stoke. Had a few good months at Palace but quickly left. He undoubtedly destroyed West Brom. Left no long-term planning at any club however.

If my team was in a relegation battle would i bring him in yes. Would I have him longer term no. He doesn't move clubs forwards which is his problem, standing still is going backwards.

You say you want someone who is effective with the ball going forward, not necessarily pretty right? (or did i imagine that?) joint fifth lowest scoring team in the Championship?

I remember an article at the time which said, he prefers effective rather than pretty, but as soon as being effective stps working (liek West Brom) there is no good will because if he can't sort the defence he has no idea how to attack.
have you never heard of clubs having a better 2nd half of season? no manager should be blamed for relegation if they leave before xmass and the club is not adrift

stoke he got promoted then sustained premier league and made stoke a hard place to go to on a wet cold tuesday night

he took over palace in trouble and finished 11th. just ok? or success?!

west brom he had multiple mid table finishes,as cov fans we would build a manager a statue if they did that for us, but for westbrom he deystroyed them? lol

and i said long ball with intent. you do not make playoffs without intent. when it works it is fine. when it doesnt it is horrible. pulis nearly always is the former lets be honest

skybluegod

have you never heard of clubs having a better 2nd half of season? no manager should be blamed for relegation if they leave before xmass and the club is not adrift

stoke he got promoted then sustained premier league and made stoke a hard place to go to on a wet cold tuesday night

he took over palace in trouble and finished 11th. just ok? or success?!

west brom he had multiple mid table finishes,as cov fans we would build a manager a statue if they did that for us, but for westbrom he deystroyed them? lol

and i said long ball with intent. you do not make playoffs without intent. when it works it is fine. when it doesnt it is horrible. pulis nearly always is the former lets be honest

It wasn't just over one season? As i mentioned it was his last 21 leagues games he picked up 12 league points. So no again the stats do not support your argument. It's like saying Pardew would have kept them up if he had come in in August.

Stoke had begun to go backwards, hence he didn't have his contract renewed, as i pointed out he didn't lay any long-term foundations.

He took over a palace side who shouldn't have been anywhere near trouble, and as i said before, he never gets to finish a job because he has no long-term plans.

He had 2 mid table finishes and then took 12 points from 21 league games. I shouldn't really be surprised by your opinion on this when you praise Mowbray so much after just half a season of good football.

As i said, if you want to avoid relegation bring in Pulis, if you want to build a club, avoid him at all costs. Only have to look at his career, to see players become disheartened with his tactics, and running of the club.

Ashdown

Could be around 2800 Mad Hatters fans on Satdy then ?! If a few hundred buy on the gate. Anyone know how many we've sold ??

covcity4life

It wasn't just over one season? As i mentioned it was his last 21 leagues games he picked up 12 league points. So no again the stats do not support your argument. It's like saying Pardew would have kept them up if he had come in in August.

Stoke had begun to go backwards, hence he didn't have his contract renewed, as i pointed out he didn't lay any long-term foundations.

He took over a palace side who shouldn't have been anywhere near trouble, and as i said before, he never gets to finish a job because he has no long-term plans.

He had 2 mid table finishes and then took 12 points from 21 league games. I shouldn't really be surprised by your opinion on this when you praise Mowbray so much after just half a season of good football.

As i said, if you want to avoid relegation bring in Pulis, if you want to build a club, avoid him at all costs. Only have to look at his career, to see players become disheartened with his tactics, and running of the club.
promotion is not a part of building a club?

what coventry want? promotion to prem? YES then what? sustain mid table finishes in prem? YES

does pulis fit the bill? YES

CV22SBA

Could be around 2800 Mad Hatters fans on Satdy then ?! If a few hundred buy on the gate. Anyone know how many we've sold ??
2500 allocation was sold out by Monday lunchtime. They did request an extra 1K but at the moment this has been denied after police advice. Not sure what thats all about as Sunderland had more than that.

Liquid Gold

2500 allocation was sold out by Monday lunchtime. They did request an extra 1K but at the moment this has been denied after police advice. Not sure what thats all about as Sunderland had more than that.
Kicked off outside the away end when they were at the Ricoh last year.

Nick

Administrator
Kicked off outside the away end when they were at the Ricoh last year.

They are all lucky I'm not going then. :D

giphy.gif

skybluegod

you dont have to like pulis. i respect that you wouldnt want him. but it is hoof ball that works more often than not

as for saturday play it on grass robins lol

As I said I think Allardyce does it the right way, but just disagree on Pulis

Yep defo doesn't suit our players for sure!!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Yeah I remember those days, a centre forward who could head a ball, a winger who could beat his man and cross a ball, a midfielder who could tackle and pass a ball to one of his own players and score a goal, a centre half who would dominate the defence and a goalkeeper who could catch a ball .

Where did it all go wrong ?

steve82

Yeah I remember those days, a centre forward who could head a ball, a winger who could beat his man and cross a ball, a midfielder who could tackle and pass a ball to one of his own players and score a goal, a centre half who would dominate the defence and a goalkeeper who could catch a ball .

My favourite answer to this is.....
Football is a simple game over complicated by tactics.

covcity4life

People on here started making excuses for burge for one

steve82

Genuine question then: Why is it that none of the very best managers play in the way you are saying then?

It’s a good fair question, one you’d have to ask them tho as they are the ones who do it differently. ;-)

On a more serious note the games changed over the years and I suppose there is a number of factors. The culture of fans are changing, tv deals are getting bigger, neutral fans and supporting fans now want to be entertained.

The rise of the tika taka football from the continent, with a huge influx of global footballers coming to the shores has helped change the way in British football is played, watched and enjoyed added with the time, quality and technology put in to football pitches in stadiums too.

It’s also brought a change in academy selection on who makes it or not now as not so long ago it was more cherry picking strong big players who got professional deals, if you was smaller you’d really need to stand out to get that break.

Now many want to play Peps way or Klopps hi tempo pressing style. Your traditional way is classed as old fashioned and undesirable.

covcity4life

the game has evolved and old school tactics wont cut it at the top(unforuntley we are in division 3 so it can work)

long ball will not win you a top leagur or euro competion imo. thats why as skybluegod says you dont see it utilised at top teams when you do it tends to fail(moyes man u)

that said a amalgamation can work like leicester showed, they countered with long balls tov ardy whilst utiling 1 winger who cut in and 1 winger who stayed wider. simple can still work, but i am not sure long ball can anymore.

also we are starting to see benefits of finnaly bringing british talent through as technical rather than hard working tacklers etc so i expect even more of a shift to beautiful football to come.

steve82

the game has evolved and old school tactics wont cut it at the top(unforuntley we are in division 3 so it can work)

long ball will not win you a top leagur or euro competion imo. thats why as skybluegod says you dont see it utilised at top teams when you do it tends to fail(moyes man u)

that said a amalgamation can work like leicester showed, they countered with long balls tov ardy whilst utiling 1 winger who cut in and 1 winger who stayed wider. simple can still work, but i am not sure long ball can anymore.

also we are starting to see benefits of finnaly bringing british talent through as technical rather than hard working tacklers etc so i expect even more of a shift to beautiful football to come.

It’s a very technical affair at the top end.
Being a pundit for sky is now the safest job in football, unless your Andy Gray.

Sky tv have helped in the swing in the way the games played by over analysing things but while it creates good tv it kills managers careers. Brian Clough once famously said that they talk too much and don’t show enough football.

Times changed now they extend the programs to analyse every moment and makes icons of managers and nail others.

As I said tho makes good tv unless it’s Graham Souness droning on.

steve82

Stats are in our favour

Coventry have lost just one of their last 28 home league games against Luton (W21 D6), a 1-0 defeat on New Year's Day 1987 in the top-flight.

After drawing 2-2 in their most recent league meeting back in March, Luton will be looking to avoid defeat in back-to-back league games against Coventry for the first time since September 1990.

Coventry boss Mark Robins has won three of his four league games against Luton as a manager, drawing the other 2-2 in League Two in March last season.

Coventry are winless in five league games (D2 L3), after a run of five consecutive wins.

Luton are unbeaten in their last eight league games, winning seven of them and conceding just three goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Tom Davies to two foot (legally!) Danny Hylton, to set the tone! Luke Thomas to scare the bejesus out of them. Hope we start well. Going to be cold and I want to be able to cheer something!!

Users who are viewing this thread