Match Thread Coventry City vs. Gillingham Match Thread - Saturday 2nd Feb (1 Viewer)

higgs

Be nice to get a penalty in the second half been a while since we had one

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Esoterica

Poor first half. Hiwula poor. The London CCFC simpleton might revisit his view. Hiwula offers nothing generally
He's definitely not a back to goal striker. His lateral movement is quite good but our build up is so slow that it's mostly wasted. I don't like this 4-2-3-1 formation as we don't have enough bodies forward when we attack especially when the defence are as deep as we are. It's too stretched from Hyam to Hiwula and although it leaves a lot of space in the middle there are not many options to pass forwards with 1 up front and we end up direct running through Bright and Thomas which allows teams to get back and organised - we need to get the ball doing a bit more work. Add in the that players are taking an extra touch and using up time on the ball because of the shocking pitch and it results in us being very laborious going forwards.

JulianDarbyFTW

Just been looking at the results this season. We've scored 2 or above only six times in 31 league games. Basically, if the opposition score once, we're probably screwed.

As a breakdown, we've scored 2 five times and 4 once.

Grendel

They also have runners when he gets the ball.

We put a cross in to hiwula and 4 of their defenders.

Hiwula isn't a target man

What is he then?

Otis

Enobakhare playing like a midfield general/playmaker.

Nearly all our best stuff has come through him.

Final ball again lacking whenever get around the box.

Too hesitant, or trying to be too intricate.

Grendel

Hiwula needs to be making the runs in past the last man, not holding it up

He’s incapable he never anticipates anything - I thought he may be ok as he was scoring some goals but that’s dried up and he offers nothing

Great_Expectations

Different striker, same result. Different formation, same issue.

Hiwula is too isolated, the gap between him and the midfield is massive, as if the gap between the centre backs and the rest of the team.

The full backs (especially Sterling) are pushing on, but not being used enough.

There’s so little movement it’s frustrating. I’m not a fan of the formation as it’s too narrow and relies on the centre backs finding a killer pass.

Put Thomas and a another (Wakefield/Bright) on the wings and Bayliss at 10, with Meyler and Westbrooke behind. Or just go 4-4-2, with Hiwula and Bakayoko up front.

fernandopartridge

Don't agree on the poor first half. Quite enjoyed it. We look decent in possession and Meyler and Westbrooke have impressed me. Bright is great on the ball as well. I do agree that Hiwula has not featured so much - would like to see AB on and Bright much further forward.
Nice football but utterly harmless

stupot07

Pretty average half. Lots of possession but not really hurting teams. Gillingham had 3-4 best chance of the game. Not sure what the plan is, we're still trying to score the goal and pass the ball in the net.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Different striker, same result. Different formation, same issue.

Hiwula is too isolated, the gap between him and the midfield is massive, as if the gap between the centre backs and the rest of the team.

The full backs (especially Sterling) are pushing on, but not being used enough.

There’s so little movement it’s frustrating. I’m not a fan of the formation as it’s too narrow and relies on the centre backs finding a killer pass.

Put Thomas and a another (Wakefield/Bright) on the wings and Bayliss at 10, with Meyler and Westbrooke behind. Or just go 4-4-2, with Hiwula and Bakayoko up front.
Looks the same formation just different players.

chiefdave

Same as the last few weeks really. Pass it around but don’t look a threat and look like we could concede when they counter but neither side can finish.

Grendel

Looks the same formation just different players.

A formation that works fine if you’ve got a forward player - like gillinghan do and Blackpool did

Nick

Administrator
A formation that works fine if you’ve got a forward player - like gillinghan do and Blackpool did
It's pointless us trying it.

People will look at BBC stats and love it.

Even when we do shoot only sterling has connected with the ball properly and it was still an easy save

Notice how advanced their other players go on the counter, we have a striker in their half and think that's right.

lifeskyblue

Would like to see hiwula feeding off a forward rather than having to be the focal point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

But we don’t have a focal point type attacker, and if the striker is going to be that isolated we need someone like Eaves.

And even so, the gap between their lines is nowhere near as big as ours.

Esoterica

The good thing about our corners is that you don't need to wait until half or fulltime if you need a piss. You can go and be sure you won't miss a thing.

Grendel

Embarrassing

Users who are viewing this thread