Match Thread Coventry City Vs Exeter League 2 playoff final. Monday 28th May (1 Viewer)

David O'Day

Grendel would have an argument with his own shadow.

giphy.gif
It's all friendly banter with a opposition fan, I mean he does still want Exeter to win on Monday right?

Mr Panda

Anyone else not feel as nervous for this game? Perhaps its the excitment of Wembley but I'm just not getting the same thoughts of dread I had pre Notts County.

I don't like how content I feel right now

Nick

Administrator
I don't feel as nervous yet but I will do during the game and just before.

That isnt because I think we will turn up and hammer them, I havent thought about the match as much as I did the notts C one.

Liquid Gold

This thread proves that we're all looking for distractions instead of thinking about the match. Monday is like the sun, it's too big and bright to look at.

Esoterica

I think the Wembley trip, in huge numbers, is reducing the anxiety about the match itself for a variety of reasons:
  • It's a day out now, an event, that has become more than just the match itself. Whole families are going, groups of mates who used to attend matches are back together again for the day.
  • Folks have been planning their trips, the pubs, their lunch, their accomodation so focus hasn't been on the game itself yet. First site of the Wembley arch will get the nerves going for many.
  • The unity in the squad is slowly being reflected in the fanbase too - when you're getting screwed from all angles, as we have been for years, the matchday results become paramount to taking anything positive away from the games. Suddenly we're proud of multiple players plus the team as a whole and as long as they are doing their best and care, I think some folk are realising that what division we play in isn't the be all and end all to enjoying a footy season.
  • A lot of people just don't want to consider the possibility of losing yet!
For me personally, I just can't see us not winning. The ingredients have been there all season but Robins seems to have finally perfected the balance on the pitch. Off it, with the team spirit we have, there's just too much belief in this group to mess it up now - it's got a real feeling of destiny about it and the momentum is all with us. I'm not even confident, it just feels like a done deal - together with the Checkatrade trophy, this is the beginning of the rewards for all the shit we've put up with. McNulty to score early and for it to be a massive party for 90 minutes.

Anyway. When we've lost 1-0 after a dour performance lacking any creativity, you'll be able to easily recognise me - I'll be the one who has invaded the pitch and is ripping up my expensive flight tickets while screaming in Robins' face.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I think the Wembley trip, in huge numbers, is reducing the anxiety about the match itself for a variety of reasons:
  • It's a day out now, an event, that has become more than just the match itself. Whole families are going, groups of mates who used to attend matches are back together again for the day.
  • Folks have been planning their trips, the pubs, their lunch, their accomodation so focus hasn't been on the game itself yet. First site of the Wembley arch will get the nerves going for many.
  • The unity in the squad is slowly being reflected in the fanbase too - when you're getting screwed from all angles, as we have been for years, the matchday results become paramount to taking anything positive away from the games. Suddenly we're proud of multiple players plus the team as a whole and as long as they are doing their best and care, I think some folk are realising that what division we play in isn't the be all and end all to enjoying a footy season.
  • A lot of people just don't want to consider the possibility of losing yet!
For me personally, I just can't see us not winning. The ingredients have been there all season but Robins seems to have finally perfected the balance on the pitch. Off it, with the team spirit we have, there's just too much belief in this group to mess it up now - it's got a real feeling of destiny about it and the momentum is all with us. I'm not even confident, it just feels like a done deal - together with the Checkatrade trophy, this is the beginning of the rewards for all the shit we've put up with. McNulty to score early and for it to be a massive party for 90 minutes.

Anyway. When we've lost 1-0 after a dour performance lacking any creativity, you'll be able to easily recognise me - I'll be the one who has invaded the pitch and is ripping up my expensive flight tickets while screaming in Robins' face.

I can assure you that the nerves have got me already - a whole season's work down to 90 minutes*!!!

It's the first time I can remember wanting a weekend to hurry up and be over! Or the first time I've posted on a match thread 4 days before the game.

*I know, it's just 'potentially 120 minutes + penalties' doesn't have the same ring to it :emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_fingers_crossed: pusb

Disgruntled Sky Blue

We just have to score first in the first half for me to have any hope of keeping my finger nails. And possibly my fingers too!!
Never thought I would see us in this position in my City supporting life time.

clint van damme

can't believe I could be so worked up about the prospect of 3rd division football but some big clubs in there and a few seaside trips, far preferable to another season in league 4. But if we lose, so be it. We can use Exeter as our motivation to get it right next season.

Great_Expectations

As before the NC away game; I’m feeling pretty confident.

I also feel like I repeat myself both match threads but; we have a better technical team than Exeter and as long as MR allows the players to play football we will win. It’s also key we are in their face from the off. We did both against NC and our class absolutely shone through.

I’d keep the team the same, in my view at times it was an adapted 4-2-3-1 which worked well, predominantly as Bayliss was a lot more central and therefore influential. Kelly was also seeminly released from an all out defensive CM, which allowed him to demonstrate he is also capable of playing football.

Biamou, Doyle and McNulty are absolutely key for me, especially the latter.

I’d also give Reid the last 20/30 regardless of score as on that pitch against tired legs he has the ability to cause issues.

Finally, the team spirit seems fantastic and I think that will give us the drive to progress.

If we produce the confident footballing display we are capable of; 3-0 City.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I can assure you that the nerves have got me already - a whole season's work down to 90 minutes*!!!

It's the first time I can remember wanting a weekend to hurry up and be over! Or the first time I've posted on a match thread 4 days before the game.

*I know, it's just 'potentially 120 minutes + penalties' doesn't have the same ring to it :emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_fingers_crossed: pusb

It's the first time you've ever posted on a match thread full stop.

Normally you are just on the threads with pitch invasions or incidents concerning the Stone Island Brigade!

Gibbo

QUOTE="Nick, post: 1542970, member: 1"]I don't feel as nervous yet but I will do during the game and just before.

That isnt because I think we will turn up and hammer them, I havent thought about the match as much as I did the notts C one.[/QUOTE]
That is a common condition , judging by the various threads. Nobody is actually talking about the football, just tickets, pubs, trains, songs, etc etc. Is this a bad sign - complacency beckons
Hope the team are focused on Exeter and how we play, unlike us lot on here. As I know little about Exeter some input from those who saw both games would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread