Match Thread Coventry City vs Cambridge United Match Thread - Tuesday 30th Jan (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

The
The whole thing was a clumsy mess. He tangled with him outside the box to start with trying to get back, and was lucky the ref didn't call him up for it. Inside the box I thought he just about won the ball but went through the back of him to get it. Didn't think it was stonewall but could easily have been given, and if it had of been, it would have been McDonald I was pissed off with, not the ref.
He's a decent L2 defender. He looked imperious when we were defending so deep earlier in the season and the game was played out in front of him but as we've pushed higher up the pitch his lack of pace is becoming exposed more.
They tried to be very clever, as Ikpeazu was on the left hand side earlier in game with Davies was on him.

Once McDonald got booked he drifted to the right.

It didnt look a good challenge from McDonald. Penalty in my book. Seen alot less given.

And it was actully it was gpod management to give Willis this game off to rest as they had physicality but no pace upfront so suited our central defenders.

Our three central defenders are all completely different Rod imo is the most composed on the ball and uses his body strength the best to make time and space for himself on the ball.

Grendel

Agree. I was expecting it to be given.

Just don't think it is clear cut, but I would have given the pen if I was the official on the day. Clumsy mess describes it well.

I think clear cut for you would be if a defender held a striker to the ground and began amputating his leg with a chainsaw.

clint van damme

I wonder if the reason the ref gave us so much was down to Doyle?
In the first minute he nicked the ball from in front of Ikpeazu and the ref blew for a foul, (which I didn't think it was, little pull back at best). Doyle was in the refs ear about him for the next 2 minutes making out he'd been assaulted. Wonder if he put a seed of doubt in the refs mind about the type of player Ikpeazu was?!

Otis

I think clear cut for you would be if a defender held a striker to the ground and began amputating his leg with a chainsaw.
Don't be a ridiculous. The ref would spot a player bringing on a chainsaw a mile away.

You may have noticed that a number of other posters are not sure whether it was a pen either.

I have said it might well have been a penalty. My issue was always on the stonewall notion.

Never stonewall for me and the ref was right on it. Have had to watch it now about 20 times and though I was expecting it to be given I certainly do not think it was nailed on at all.

Otis

I wonder if the reason the ref gave us so much was down to Doyle?
In the first minute he nicked the ball from in front of Ikpeazu and the ref blew for a foul, (which I didn't think it was, little pull back at best). Doyle was in the refs ear about him for the next 2 minutes making out he'd been assaulted. Wonder if he put a seed of doubt in the refs mind about the type of player Ikpeazu was?!
Deegan was calling for yellow cards from the ref right from the off and for the most petty of fouls.

Have to say though, I thought he was rather impressive last night for them.

Liquid Gold

I thought it was a pen last night, as did everyone around me including a neutral I bought along and that video just confirms it more for me. Lucky to get away with that one.

Sky Blue Pete

The

They tried to be very clever, as Ikpeazu was on the left hand side earlier in game with Davies was on him.

It didnt look a good challenge from McDonald. Penalty in my book. Seen alot less given.

And it was actully it was gpod management to give Willis this game off to rest as they had physicality but no pace upfront so suited our central defenders.

Our three central defenders are all completely different Rod imo is the most composed on the ball and uses his body strength the best to make time and space for himself on the ball.
Very unimpressive last night on that ball but as Otis said we won and for the most part the defence looked solid. His clearances at times were worse than Burge

Otis

I thought it was a pen last night, as did everyone around me including a neutral I bought along and that video just confirms it more for me. Lucky to get away with that one.
No-one by me thought it was a penalty.

Mind, there is no-one by me.

I could have asked the bloke who was sitting nearest, but would have had to shout very loudly to find out.

Sky Blue Pete

McDonald puts his hands on his back and then goes to ground to win the ball while still behind him, at a 45 degree angle at best. He's already tripped him up before he wins the ball and the video misses the 5 seconds beforehand where McDonald is all over him trying to get back too. He wins the ball but the whole thing was an ugly clumsy mess. Would expect that to be given more times than not.
Yep 7 out of 10 so lucky there

Sky Blue Pete

What’s great is that I thought our football wasn’t great. A few players were below par and yet we looked pretty solid at the back and potent going forward.

A really good sign. Max is having more and more impact, McNulty is class, Bayliss on the ball is sublime. Doyle doesn’t stop, Willis and Davies have upped their games, grimmer has learnt how to cross and almost defend. Kelly looked excellent on Saturday. I would expect Kelly and Willis to be back in on Saturday and Stevenson on the bench. Onwards and upwards

Otis

What’s great is that I thought our football wasn’t great. A few players were below par and yet we looked pretty solid at the back and potent going forward.

A really good sign. Max is having more and more impact, McNulty is class, Bayliss on the ball is sublime. Doyle doesn’t stop, Willis and Davies have upped their games, grimmer has learnt how to cross and almost defend. Kelly looked excellent on Saturday. I would expect Kelly and Willis to be back in on Saturday and Stevenson on the bench. Onwards and upwards
Yep, both McDonald and Stokes had sub-par games, yet our defence restricted them very well for the most part.

Otis

On the Doyle/Kelly thing though, that's something that concerns me. I much prefer Bayliss in the middle and if you pair Kelly and Doyle you can't have Bayliss in the middle too with the system we play.

steve82

The

Thought Davies was excellent last night

Liquid Gold

To be honest I thought we played reasonably well yesterday considering the players were obviously tired from Saturday.

We maybe sat too deep and invited pressure in the second half but going in at half time I thought we were by far the better team and looked like we could cut through Cambridge with ease. I think people's perceptions are clouded by a difficult defensive second half but we did the job we needed to.

Otis

To be honest I thought we played reasonably well yesterday considering the players were obviously tired from Saturday.

We maybe sat too deep and invited pressure in the second half but going in at half time I thought we were by far the better team and looked like we could cut through Cambridge with ease. I think people's perceptions are clouded by a difficult defensive second half but we did the job we needed to.
Yep and like you say, we were clearly tired and I think that is something that Cambridge sensed.

Johnnythespider

Don't be ridiculous, it would be impossible to hold someone down and use a chainsaw at the same time.
Having seen the footage it was certainly a clumsy challenge and we probably got away with one there.

Nick

Administrator
On the Doyle/Kelly thing though, that's something that concerns me. I much prefer Bayliss in the middle and if you pair Kelly and Doyle you can't have Bayliss in the middle too with the system we play.

Think he would put Bayliss out wide again. He said Stevenson was likely to play so assume that's why DKE came back in in on the right.

Otis

Think he would put Bayliss out wide again. He said Stevenson was likely to play so assume that's why DKE came back in in on the right.
Yeah, understand that would be the case, but just think he is much more of a threat in the middle.

Johhny Blue

I think the "Alleged" push was outside the box.
As for the chainsaw issue that would have been a certain yellow card in the George Curtis era and even then the forwards were tough and he probably would have jumpeD up Monty pythonesqe proclaiming "it's only a flesh wound"

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

Ikpeazu Was mauling for most of the match playing with his elbow and arms outstretched thus giving the referee a difficult decisions as to whether he is fouling or not. So not surprised he never gave a penalty

Nick

Administrator
Ikpeazu Was mauling for most of the match playing with his elbow and arms outstretched thus giving the referee a difficult decisions as to whether he is fouling or not. So not surprised he never gave a penalty

Akinfenwa did that all game too.

ps1948

Can't believe how bad the pitch was - from the pictures early in the thread it looked OK, but sitting in row H it was plain to see how awful it was.
I think that Burge's poor licking, from balls played back to him is down to the pitch -m he must dread anything coming back towards him - certainly two in the first half bobbled awfully in front of him. His kicking from hands and dead ball were fine.
There were also several others in the team (notably Stokes) who found kicking the ball a difficult task.

Otis

Can't believe how bad the pitch was - from the pictures early in the thread it looked OK, but sitting in row H it was plain to see how awful it was.
I think that Burge's poor licking, from balls played back to him is down to the pitch -m he must dread anything coming back towards him - certainly two in the first half bobbled awfully in front of him. His kicking from hands and dead ball were fine.
There were also several others in the team (notably Stokes) who found kicking the ball a difficult task.
Yeah, but as said, their keeper didn't seem to have any problems.

It was five I counted from Burge that were totally miss-hit

Otis

Was that a bad kick? I thought he just misjudged the ball didn't he? Correct me if I'm wrong.
And if so, is the Ricoh pitch also to blame when Burge keeps kicking it out of play when we are away from home?

ps1948

Not sure they played the ball back to their keeper very many times, except for the one McNulty chased down. They seemed more content to put it in row z, especially in the first half.
Clearly Burge needs to work on his kicking from the back passes, but as I said earlier, I think his dead ball and kicking from his hands is getting far better.

Otis

Not sure they played the ball back to their keeper very many times, except for the one McNulty chased down. They seemed more content to put it in row z, especially in the first half.
Clearly Burge needs to work on his kicking from the back passes, but as I said earlier, I think his dead ball and kicking from his hands is getting far better.
That is true for sure.

stevefloyd

Yes his dead ball kicking was ok but 9 times out of 10 they would head it straight back, when I seen Vincenti come on I thought "hear we go Burge trying to find him and kicking it out of play"..... well if his kicking is that bad and guess who is training him its really to be expected that his kicking is shite !!!

Johhny Blue

Maybe the ball licking was distracting him

Users who are viewing this thread