Match Thread Coventry City vs Cambridge United Match Thread - Tuesday 30th Jan (1 Viewer)

mds

Great result all things considered, totally knackered against a very fresh side and still managed a decent win. Thought they had a good shout for a pen just before we scored the 3rd, not sure who either player was but one of ours appeared to put his boot thru the middle of someone sent him flying.
The time of year we nearly always start to fall away but 5 wins 1 defeat in January long may it continue.
Find it hard to be too critical of anyone, it was obvious we were knackered and causing as much trouble for ourselves as Cambridge were.

Esoterica

Not joking. I thought it may well have been a pen, but I wasn't 100% on it.

You are the home of the sweeping statement. 'Stonewall penalty!' McDonald was abysmal!'

I thought it probably was a penalty and thought McDonald didn't have a good game, but he was up against a real handful in their number 9. He did do some good stuff, but he wasn't at all great and probably the worst performance I have seen from him I would say.

When it comes to ratings I think I would give him about a 6, cos he did intercept some dangerous balls and did clear his lines on a few occasions and did get the better of their towards on occasions too. He was second best for the most part though.

Just now impressed with sweeping statements. There's quite often some grey area to be found I believe.
The whole thing was a clumsy mess. He tangled with him outside the box to start with trying to get back, and was lucky the ref didn't call him up for it. Inside the box I thought he just about won the ball but went through the back of him to get it. Didn't think it was stonewall but could easily have been given, and if it had of been, it would have been McDonald I was pissed off with, not the ref.
He's a decent L2 defender. He looked imperious when we were defending so deep earlier in the season and the game was played out in front of him but as we've pushed higher up the pitch his lack of pace is becoming exposed more.

rupert_bear

It was one of those games when you say well atleast we won. As for attendance it was poor especially after Saturday I had two spare tickets, freebies, went to the pay turnstyle to give them away and there was no queue, zilch.

SlowerThanPlatt

McNulty is on top of his game atm. Class above League 2 level.

Also thought Vincenti did well when he came on.

This is gonna be the year we finally reach 70 points since FL induction surely. Need 20 points from the next 51 possible to reach it. Top 3 within sight

covcity4life

Caught 2nd half. Not pretty stuff and we get penned in too much. However mcnulty shud have ended it as a contest early on after doyle quick fk. Nice work from biamou for 3rd goal.

We are solid and do enough upfront. If we can find a way to make more chances we could go on a relentless run like luton did.

That said our current form is pretty damn good!

2nd to 13th is close! We just gotta do our bit and i can see a few teams fall away

Just focus on catching luton. The rest will take care of itself

clint van damme

The whole thing was a clumsy mess. He tangled with him outside the box to start with trying to get back, and was lucky the ref didn't call him up for it. Inside the box I thought he just about won the ball but went through the back of him to get it. Didn't think it was stonewall but could easily have been given, and if it had of been, it would have been McDonald I was pissed off with, not the ref.
He's a decent L2 defender. He looked imperious when we were defending so deep earlier in the season but as we've pushed higher up the pitch his lack of pace is becoming exposed more.

he didn't go through the back of him, he got his leg round the front of him and it came of his knee, strong contact on the ball as well.

Londonccfcfan

Today was all about the 3 points. Backing up Swindon game.

It’s a good January now. 3 wins out of 4 in league. And two good Cup performances.

steve82

Ikpeazu was a right bloody handful!!

Tired legs out there tonight, invited our own troubles at times and made harder work of the win than necessary but come full time the 3 points were ours.

Promotion push gains momentum.

Londonccfcfan

We scored just our third header in the league today. Surely that’s the lowest in league.

Good to see 2 goals from midfielders today also.

wingy

Checked Ikpeazu out.
Nearly right.
Started at Reading ,Watford took him on loaned him to Crewe over a couple of seasons, then PV and Blackpool.
Finally signed by Cambridge.
Seems to be a 1/4 Score ratio when he gets going but a couple of dry spells through those loans.

steve82

Checked Ikpeazu out.
Nearly right.
Started at Reading ,Watford took him on loaned him to Crewe over a couple of seasons, then PV and Blackpool.
Finally signed by Cambridge.
Seems to be a 1/4 Score ratio when he gets going but a couple of dry spells through those loads.

In the right side with the right strike partner he'd be a very good option to have.

I hope he gets forgotten about and stays at the RIcoh... tho with the way Max Biamou is playing currently it be unfair.

Possibly a L2 striker tho at best, may not have things his own way in L1 but not bad footwork for a big powerful player.

Johhny Blue

why the fuck was Doyle in the opposition penalty box with 5 minutes to go when we only had a one goal cushion?!
Some people see the glass as half full
Some people see the glass as half empty
You don't even have a glass

What the hell was Shipley doing so far inside for the second goal?

rupert_bear

I don’t know if we will sign someone today or not and the common opinion if we is a centre forward but imo Max Biamou is fast developing into a real good player and McNulty does score for me if Robins could unearth a real pace direct winger that’s the avenue I’d go down

clint van damme

I don’t know if we will sign someone today or not and the common opinion if we is a centre forward but imo Max Biamou is fast developing into a real good player and McNulty does score for me if Robins could unearth a real pace direct winger that’s the avenue I’d go down

I agree about Max. But if he get's a knock we've got no-one to play that role.
We need back up.

Adge

Yes we did look tired because of Saturdays efforts, but it was all about getting the 3 points. We now need to follow that up with another 3 at Forest Green.

Ricketts

Penalty for me too. Generally I thought the ref was OK. Not perfect, but consistent and a lot better than a lot of the referees we have had to put up with.

I thought the McNulty incident where he got booked was wrong, although maybe the lino gave it.(nothing wrong with the booking, dissent. I thought Stokes booking for timewasting was harsh at that point.

Otis

That’s a penalty for me. Bit lucky there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a no penalty for me. McDonald seems to slip and they both end up on the floor. Their number nine also deliberately leaves out a trailing leg, so stumbles himself. They both fall.

Could easily have been given, but I can see why the ref didn't give it.

Definitely not stonewall. If I was a ref though I think I would have given it. It's a very close call.

The McNulty one was ridiculous. That was a free kick to us. The ref was on the wrong side of the ball to see the defender's foul.

steve82

That's a no penalty for me. McDonald seems to slip and they both end up on the floor. Their number nine also deliberately leaves out a trailing leg, so stumbles himself. They both fall.

Could easily have been given, but I can see why the ref didn't give it.

Definitely not stonewall. If I was a ref though I think I would have given it. It's a very close call.

The McNulty one was ridiculous. That was a free kick to us. The ref was on the wrong side of the ball to see the defender's foul.

I agree on both points.

Penalty would of been given another day, thankfully today it wasn't. Clumsy coming together that's hard to call. But it's just a no for me.

McNulty beat his man fair and square in a equal tussle. Wrong call for that.

Grendel

He shoved him to the ground - clear penalty. The question I always think people need to ask themselves if it was the other way round what would the reaction be?

I know exactly what the reaction would be. It was right in line with us and we all thought it was a penalty clear as day.

Otis

He shoved him to the ground - clear penalty. The question I always think people need to ask themselves if it was the other way round what would the reaction be?

I know exactly what the reaction would be. It was right in line with us and we all thought it was a penalty clear as day.
I don't think he did shove him to the ground though. Both players fell to my mind.

Watched that now (as it's on repeat) about 20 times and I'm still not convinced.

Of course I would be calling for a pen if that was us. That's the nature of being a partisan football fan.

If a penalty had been given last night I wouldn't have been moaning. It was a very close call.

The handball for me was no penalty. My views on handballs are very well known on here. The ball was blasted at him. No way I would ever believe those types of incidents are penalties.

I always come back to the accidental angle. Has to be deliberate for me.

Otis

Anyone got some footage of the handball?
Would love into see it. Seemed like me it was impossible for him to get out of the way of.

I immediately said no pen on that one, but was expecting a penalty decision for the McDonald incident.

Esoterica

McDonald puts his hands on his back and then goes to ground to win the ball while still behind him, at a 45 degree angle at best. He's already tripped him up before he wins the ball and the video misses the 5 seconds beforehand where McDonald is all over him trying to get back too. He wins the ball but the whole thing was an ugly clumsy mess. Would expect that to be given more times than not.

Otis

McDonald puts his hands on his back and then goes to ground to win the ball while still behind him, at a 45 degree angle at best. He's already tripped him up before he wins the ball and the video misses the 5 seconds beforehand where McDonald is all over him trying to get back too. He wins the ball but the whole thing was an ugly clumsy mess. Would expect that to be given more times than not.
Agree. I was expecting it to be given.

Just don't think it is clear cut, but I would have given the pen if I was the official on the day. Clumsy mess describes it well.

Esoterica

Would love into see it. Seemed like me it was impossible for him to get out of the way of.

I immediately said no pen on that one, but was expecting a penalty decision for the McDonald incident.
It was the best save of the game! Runs at their player and throws himself in the way, forearm raised, trailing arm out. I think what saved him was that it looked to have hit his chest after his hand. I tried to screenshot it but it was one that really didn't do it justice vs realtime.

Users who are viewing this thread