Match Thread Coventry City vs Cambridge United Match Thread - Tuesday 30th Jan (2 Viewers)

Cov kid 55

Attendance
How many more times must it be said that a midweek evening in winter is a bummer for a lot of fans
- who travel in from outside the immediate area, work, traffic, time you get home, work before and next day.
- weather, cold, dark or wet.
I am late 50s, tiring and demanding job, live 40 miles away. I wouldn't dream of attending matches like tonight's any more. FIxtures like this = low attendance. Get used to it.
The team deserve a far better attendance than this. We are a league 2 team, but with a big urban population. Let’s say, unbelievably, that we had drawn Man City away in the FA Cup, and had forced a draw, bringing them back to the Ricoh for a midweek replay.Somehow I think all the ‘reasons’ why people can’t make a midweek game would be out of the window. I think it’s hard to justify, and disappointing the level of support we get for many of our games.

stevefloyd

Did I just hear right that fucking moron Foster just said McNulty had a hand in the first 2 goals....He fuckin scored one...why aint that twat fucking sacked

Paul Anthony

Great win again! Keeps us well and truly in the hunt for the top 3. It's still very tight so every point counts. That usual post-Christmas slump isn't looking like emerging this year, at least so far. Hope that hasn't just put the jinx on it! Bad news is I'm going to the Forest Green game on Saturday. I've only seen City win away once, and that was the 5-1 away at Walsall way back in Eric Black's first game. The omens aren't looking good for that, then!

Speng

Great win but that wasn’t great ,
We gave the ball away a lot and made them look a lot better than they are ,
Very disappointed in the attendance , we need to back the team and get up the leagues ... any way great 3 points ...

Otis

A throw in on the halfway line isn't a dangerous position.

Can anyone think of any goals we've conceded as a direct result of Burge's poor kicking? I can only think of one (v Exeter) and that was as much the defender's (think it was Stokes?) fault as it was Burges.

His kicking is rubbish, the pitch doesn't help, big deal. We have more pressing concerns than Burge's kicking.
The 5th one could easily have resulted in a goal for them.

It's a genuine issue if you keep giving the ball back to the opposition.

Otis

Stonewall penalty
What is it with you and stonewall penalties?

I think it might well have been a penalty, but stonewall? You would have had to have been sitting right behind the goal in the away end or in the main stand end block first few rows to be able to have any degree of certainty.

It might well have been a pen and it looked a very close one, but stonewall? No.

Grendel

What is it with you and stonewall penalties?

I think it might well have been a penalty, but stonewall? You would have had to have been sitting right behind the goal in the away end or in the main stand end block first few rows to be able to have any degree of certainty.

It might well have been a pen and it looked a very close one, but stonewall? No.

Are you joking? He virtually sat on him!

Old Warwickshire lad

Attendance
How many more times must it be said that a midweek evening in winter is a bummer for a lot of fans
- who travel in from outside the immediate area, work, traffic, time you get home, work before and next day.
- weather, cold, dark or wet.
I am late 50s, tiring and demanding job, live 40 miles away. I wouldn't dream of attending matches like tonight's any more. FIxtures like this = low attendance. Get used to it.
Bloke and his kid sit behind me, travelled up from London. Guy few seats along down from Preston. :eek::emoji_mask:

D

Deleted member 4439

7 home wins in a row. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Yup, and 4th in the league and on a cup run, and still only 6k at home. Don't give a crap what others are saying, that's really poor. Last year was the straw for a lot of people.

Otis

Did I just hear right that fucking moron Foster just said McNulty had a hand in the first 2 goals....He fuckin scored one...why aint that twat fucking sacked
Foster has been dreadful tonight.

Don't know if anyone else caught it, but early in the second half there was this conversation between Geoff and Clive.

Foster: Which club's Davies on loan from?

Eakin (puzzled): Eh?

Foster: Davies. Which club is Davies on loan from from?

Eakin (slightly miffed): He's our own player.

Foster: Oh.

Dear me. Geoff's supposed to be a true City fan isn't he?

Johnnythespider

I didn't think it was a pen! My mate did. I thought Shipley pushed the defender for the goal. We got away with a few things tonight.
I didn't think it was either, would have to look at it through Gary Grendels eyes before I could call it stonewall, mind he thought it was an own goal on Saturday so he's not right all the time.

stevefloyd

Foster has been dreadful tonight.

Don't know if anyone else caught it, but early in the second half there was this conversation between Geoff and Clive.

Foster: Which club's Davies on loan from?

Eakin (puzzled): Eh?

Foster: Davies. Which club is Davies on loan from from?

Eakin (slightly miffed): He's our own player.

Foster: Oh.

Dear me. Geoff's supposed to be a true City fan isn't he?
Yep I mentioned it earlier what a complete tool he is...unbelievable

Rusty Trombone

The guys and girls singing in the corner did a great job tonight, managed to generate a decent atmosphere despite the low numbers. Russ Abbot would be proud of the lot of you.

Otis

Are you joking? He virtually sat on him!
Not joking. I thought it may well have been a pen, but I wasn't 100% on it.

You are the home of the sweeping statement. 'Stonewall penalty!' McDonald was abysmal!'

I thought it probably was a penalty and thought McDonald didn't have a good game, but he was up against a real handful in their number 9. He did do some good stuff, but he wasn't at all great and probably the worst performance I have seen from him I would say.

When it comes to ratings I think I would give him about a 6, cos he did intercept some dangerous balls and did clear his lines on a few occasions and did get the better of their forwards on number of occasions too. He was second best for the most part though.

Just now impressed with sweeping statements. There's quite often some grey area to be found I believe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread