Match Thread Coventry City vs. Bristol Rovers Match Thread - Saturday 17th Aug (1 Viewer)

Garryb80

On Tuesday he was, and I'm surprised anyone could say otherwise. Based on the first two games I agree Allen for Shipley. Based on Tuesdays i'd say Allen for Westbrooke.
So having a hand in 3 of the goals is playing poor? 3 more significant things than shipley did.

skybluegod

Against Bolton he showed he wasn’t up for the more physical parts of the game (I’m being lenient). So if Bristol come with the mentality that they’re going to try and bully us, Allen should be in. As long as he’s fit.

Shipley or Westbrooke?

skybluegod

So having a hand in 3 of the goals is playing poor? 3 more significant things than shipley did.

Firstly isn't it one goal one assist?

Secondly I have already answered this. The assist he does have is from a set piece. That is invaluable. But I know 15 year olds who have demon set pieces. Doesn't mean that they are fantastic footballers and in terms of influencing the whole game, Westbrooke was anonymous on Tuesday. Stop getting all defensive, some people really don't like alternative opinions do they!

Garryb80

Firstly isn't it one goal one assist?

Secondly I have already answered this. The assist he does have is from a set piece. That is invaluable. But I know 15 year olds who have demon set pieces. Doesn't mean that they are fantastic footballers and in terms of influencing the whole game, Westbrooke was anonymous on Tuesday. Stop getting all defensive, some people really don't like alternative opinions do they!
Seems you have the defensive attitude to different opinions. I pointed out he has a goal and 2 assists. Ive been to all 3 games and he has been better than shipley in all 3. Simply pointing out what ive seen. How anyone with a hand in 3 goals can be called anonymous baffles me. Cant wait to hear what else you feel would warrant a decent mark off you.
For clarification.. He passed to hiwula for goal one.. Crossed for godden for goal 2..and crossed to rose to lead to goal 4. Clearly invisible...

Sky Blue Pete

Seems you have the defensive attitude to different opinions. I pointed out he has a goal and 2 assists. Ive been to all 3 games and he has been better than shipley in all 3. Simply pointing out what ive seen. How anyone with a hand in 3 goals can be called anonymous baffles me. Cant wait to hear what else you feel would warrant a decent mark off you.
For clarification.. He passed to hiwula for goal one.. Crossed for godden for goal 2..and crossed to rose to lead to goal 4. Clearly invisible...
Dabo set up the first.

I thought Westbrook and Shipley both did well on Tuesday but if Allen is fit then neither of them could be surprised to be on the bench. You’d have to think Westbrook is most like Allen though

skybluegod

Not at all I respect your opinion and agree in parts, just think you are very quick to respond defensively rather than actually read what is said and take it in...
Dabo set up goal one?

As I have said I agree he was better in the first two games but he was worse than Shipley on Tuesday night imo.

I will clarify again, I don't doubt his set pieces (goal 2 +4) however I am talking about contribution to open play, which typically is where most goals come from, where I feel he was largely anonymous on Tuesday night. I also feel that Shipley's contributions go largely unnoticed and he is one that flatters to deceive. Either way I expect both to start on Saturday. With whoever plays worse to be dropped the following game should Allen be fit

ccfcricoh

I would have thought we would have seen Allen in squad for Tuesday if near fitness

I don't think Robins will make a change from Tuesday, he doesn't tend to unnecessarily change a winning team

Esoterica

Robins: ''Jamie Allen is coming back from his injury and he is running now and running pain free, so hopefully we can get him back training early part of next week and build him up that way.”

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It would count as an assist though.
It is walkable. Takes about half an hour (plus whatever time is spent in the pubs!) When you come out of New St, head for Moor St station and carry on into Digbeth where you will find lots of pubs. From Digbeth, there is a main road (cant remeber what its called, biut it practically takes you all the way to St Andrews.

I tend to walk to the BullRing then turn at Selfridges and carry straight on along the main road, past the Custard Factory. Then it's a left turn ironically into Coventry Rd just after the Tesla garage (B'ham City is signposted), then over the roundabout and the ground is up the road on the left.

shmmeee

How late do ticket sales online go? Still not decided if I’m going but don’t want to be stuck in the corner. Can I decide tomorrow morning?

fernandopartridge

Robins: ''Jamie Allen is coming back from his injury and he is running now and running pain free, so hopefully we can get him back training early part of next week and build him up that way.”

He's miles away then, at least two weeks if not longer. We need some reinforcement in midfield, I just don't fancy us breaking teams down with Westbrooke and Shipley.

Esoterica

He's miles away then, at least two weeks if not longer. We need some reinforcement in midfield, I just don't fancy us breaking teams down with Westbrooke and Shipley.
It does read like that but then Robins has surprised before with inclusions that he's hinted are not ready yet. I don't think you can read between the lines on the things he comes out with in his pre match conferences. He does sound pretty pleased with the start of the season though which suggests he's ok with the midfield (Yes, I've just read between the lines I said you can't read between!!). Will just be Marosi, Mason and McFadzean back into Tuesday's team I reckon.

Hod dog

Marosi
Dabo Mcfadz Rose Mason
Westbrooke Kelly Shipley
Jobello Godden Hiwula

Subs: Wilson, Mccallum, Allen, Kasteneer, Baka, Eccles, Hyam

Robins doesnt fancy Max at the moment for one reason or another, so cant see him making bench
if allen is back he makes sub appearance
Kasteneer to get little longer tomorrow than he did v Exeter and brought in to starting lineup soon as he has ability to be a massive player for us if he settles in.

the conversatron earlier in thread about who deserves to be dropped out of westbrooke and shipley, it is shipley hands down, poor at swindon, poor v southend, poor v bolton and poor v exeter, his fitness is a concern too, westbrooke would be dropped too for me if we had someone to replace him but we dont yet,

covcity4life

does kastaneer play rleft wing? alternates with jobello?

could give hiwulla a go upfront soon if both wingers play. but then no godden

who said we lacking upfront?! baka bimaou and jones to add to it yet

junglej13

Stuart Linnell tweeted that Robins said there could be a loan signing over the next day or two. Would love it to be Herbie Kane.

covcity4life

Stuart Linnell tweeted that Robins said there could be a loan signing over the next day or two. Would love it to be Herbie Kane.
prefer harry kane

giphy.gif

or undertakers brother kane

giphy.gif

Marty

3-0 win, I've decided to take the club up on their offer for last years season ticket holders. Another new ground to visit.

shmmeee

A big stonking league win would do nicely about now. Still feel well be slow to start until Godden, Allen and Kastaneer are all at full fitness though.

Gonna go another nervy 1-0. Think that might be the most common scoreline this season.

Same team as last league game with Godden in for Baka.

Paxman II

Looks like a good day weather wise and a pitch suited to a passing game. Advantage us. Godden looks hungry to prove his signing. He will start.
It is a shame Allen is not yet ready. But I think we have enough in us to win this one against a Bristol side who say they are coming to win the game but my sixth sense says they will line up not to be beaten, isolating Clarke-Harris up front as there main threat. Can we break then down? I think so, we have the better players and 90 minutes should prove too much for Rovers.
My only concern is we are slightly unbalanced still,and a Herbie Kane would be the icing on the cake. With Allen missing too much is on the shoulders of Shipley and Westbrooke for my liking.

shmmeee

Reading the quotes from Robins in the Telegraph, it sounds more like he wants cover at RB than anything else. He does talk in a weird way that’s hard to parse though.

Users who are viewing this thread