Match Thread Coventry City vs. Bolton Wanderers Match Thread - Saturday 8th Feb (3 Viewers)

Irish Sky Blue

I think this is mainly coming from the I Follow generation who don’t go to games

It’s interesting that generally these people never comment through games while sitting on their armchairs slurping their cuppa soups and only tend to appear at the end (and generally wouldn’t of the last goal hadn’t gone in)

Fans commenting through the game itself while at it are going to view things more passionately as they are caught up in the atmosphere
I think it is mostly the other way around. I think those watching on Ifollow are much more likely to comment on the match thread in game time.There was a noticeable difference for the Birmingham replay in the comments made about a match that wasn’t screened. There were still negative comments but these were obviously based on either thei commentary or score flashes.
I go to most games and I wouldn’t waste my time on here while the game is on. I am far to caught up in what is happening on the pitch to type stuff on here. It’s only after the games I read what has been written.
I have to say that even after getting used to all the negative stuff, I was surprised at the level of vitriol that Bolton’s equaliser caused. It just goes to show what can be expected when we lose a game.

Last edited:

DannyThomas_1981

I have always been fairly consistent on this as well.

The only good football is winning football. Regardless how it’s achieved./QUOTE

Ok if I politely disagree on this? I like to see football being played the right way. I’d hate to support a team launching it into orbit and ‘into the mixer’ hoping for knock-downs and scrappy 1-0 wins whilst kicking the opposition. No glory in that for me.

Robins is proving also that playing attractive possession football can be very effective in this league and in my view that is helping us to attract better technical players who buy into the philosophy - Allen, Walsh, O’Hare as good examples.

Irish Sky Blue

We’ve also conceded late and they should have scored before we did
We should also have scored before they did. I have to say, although they were buzzing about and looking dangerous, I can’t remember a chance they had after their equaliser. When was it?

mark82

It’s interesting how those who are most critical of the team and seem determined that certain players fail......respond to being called out on their nonsense.

The stack of responses gets ever wider and more remarkable ranging from:

‘You like him because he takes selfies’

‘You never go to games so you can’t have an opinion like me’

‘It’s an Internet forum innit so we’ll write whatever unfounded abuse we want and you’re not cut out for this.’

To the new favourite:

‘You’re just trying to get likes and score points on the internet.’

WTF.

Reminds me so much of Brexit slogans - which mean absolutely nothing and show there is nothing of substance.

To be fair, I don't think the people who have used the internet points thing (myself & liquid gold) have been the ones who have been critical of Robins, the team or individual players. And to be fair, it is what a couple of people are trying to do - I'm not sure there's any other explanation. Someone shows a bit of frustration at a poor performance and somehow they aren't supporting MR & the team. It's nonsense. People care so they get frustrated and sometimes say stupid shit. There's literally no-one who thinks we aren't playing well and having a good season.

Irish Sky Blue

It's this season but it's also not particularly recent. I don't see why people bring this stuff up just to point score against other fans. Opinions change, people admit they got things wrong (big G aside) so no need to constantly bring up stuff that happened in the past just to try to score cheap points. Everyone is an expert in hindsight.
I think that that is the point. Most people wouldn’t make those comments at the time of the event ( in this case the Bolton equaliser) or otherwise. Surely you have to have a sense of perspective when you say or write something? That Bolton equaliser came in a game that followed a run of 5 wins in 7 games, no defeats (that’s just league games too, more impressive still if you include the cup). If it’s okay for some ‘supporters’ to post and say what they think, it is equally okay for others to point out their fickle nature if they see it that way.
Nothing to do with scoring internet points by the way, more to do with the frustration at some posters inability to see the bigger picture.

Grendel

We should also have scored before they did. I have to say, although they were buzzing about and looking dangerous, I can’t remember a chance they had after their equaliser. When was it?

They went through and hit the side netting

mark82

I genuinely believe that some don't comprehend we have eleven players trying to counter what we are trying to do. It's a though everything we do has to come off otherwise the negativity kicks in.
Sometimes I can't see some teams style of play( like Wycombe when they play us) but others like MK Dons have a clearly defined way of playing and are decent, on the other hand I believe our style of play is a challenge for most in this league.
You have to earn the right to impose yourself and that is not a given.
I can't condone the over reaction however it's really the we are going to win 5-0 brigade that just expect us to to roll over the opposition.

We should expect to beat teams like Bolton, Southend, etc comfortably. There's nothing wrong with that. Man City would expect to beat Norwich easily, it doesn't always work out that way - see the result earlier in the season. To be disappointed with that isn't wrong. To be disappointed with a performance even with a positive result isn't wrong. People are taking comments on 1 game and extrapolating it over the season and assuming that is the feeling for every game.

We played really well in the week against Birmingham and didn't get the result. Good performance, bad result.

We played poorly (for our high standards) yesterday and got the result. Poor performance, good result.

If we play like we did against Birmingham on Tuesday Vs Portsmouth we have a fantastic chance of winning the game.

If we play like we did against Bolton Vs Portsmouth then I would expect Pompey to turn us over.

clint van damme

Death of Phillip Schofields career?

You're joking, he's been hailed as some sort of hero. Unless this story about the young friend (copyright smash and nicey), he had in the studio gains traction he's more marketable than ever.

Strange world where 27 years of deceit gets declared as some sort martyrdom

Irish Sky Blue

He’s good at man management with younger players always has an impact with teams in the short term and has a far closer relationship with the owners than any other manager
What length of time is the short term? You were calling for his head less than a year into his second stint here. Since then he has achieved promotion and has us challenging for the same in the league above, both feats he would never have achieved if the club has done what you wanted. His successor would have done the same?

Grendel

You're joking, he's been hailed as some sort of hero. Unless this story about the young friend (copyright smash and nicey), he had in the studio gains traction he's more marketable than ever.

Strange world where 27 years of deceit gets declared as some sort martyrdom

Twitter rumours growing by the second

Nick

Administrator
I can't believe people still go through comments off frustration during the game after the game to try and act like they were right even though they weren't there seeing the same things?

Ring Of Steel

I think that that is the point. Most people wouldn’t make those comments at the time of the event ( in this case the Bolton equaliser) or otherwise. Surely you have to have a sense of perspective when you say or write something? That Bolton equaliser came in a game that followed a run of 5 wins in 7 games, no defeats (that’s just league games too, more impressive still if you include the cup). If it’s okay for some ‘supporters’ to post and say what they think, it is equally okay for others to point out their fickle nature if they see it that way.
Nothing to do with scoring internet points by the way, more to do with the frustration at some posters inability to see the bigger picture.

You are right. It’s also because the negative ones tend much more to class themselves as “experts” and when they’re called out as being demonstrably & blatantly wrong, it’s an affront to their self image as being football gurus.

Ring Of Steel

What length of time is the short term? You were calling for his head less than a year into his second stint here. Since then he has achieved promotion and has us challenging for the same in the league above, both feats he would never have achieved if the club has done what you wanted. His successor would have done the same?

like I said- it proves that his knowledge of football is significantly flawed and that’s hard to accept.

Grendel

like I said- it proves that his knowledge of football is significantly flawed and that’s hard to accept.

No it’s just unlike you I’ll offer opinions and not try and slobber onto a bandwagon when it suits

peace ndlovu

I think it is mostly the other way around. I think those watching on Ifollow are much more likely to comment on the match thread in game time.There was a noticeable difference for the Birmingham replay in the comments made about a match that wasn’t screened. There were still negative comments but these were obviously based on either thei commentary or score flashes.
I go to most games and I wouldn’t waste my time on here while the game is on. I am far to caught up in what is happening on the pitch to type stuff on here. It’s only after the games I read what has been written.
I have to say that even after getting used to all the negative stuff, I was surprised at the level of vitriol that Bolton’s equaliser caused. It just goes to show what can be expected when we lose a game.
I’d love to not be part of the ‘ifollow generation’, but the 7000 mile round trip to st Andrews is a bit of a ball ache.
Really wish I could go more often and sadistically drag my indoctrinated offspring too. But ifollow has given me and the lad an opportunity to watch nearly every game while putting a few quid into the club.
I comment occasionally while watching games on ifollow. On the annual trip home (which this year was the away trip to Bolton) I NEVER comment.
I also find I’m slightly less deranged when watching on ifollow. Like agreeing with referee decisions that go against us etc.
I’m not convinced it’s the watching live / watching on ifollow thing that is significant here. I think it’s more to do with your general mindset or the frame of mind you’re in that day.
Today I’m feeling quite balanced and calm - you festering bunch of brainless bellends

usskyblue

Can't be bothered to track back through the pages, but can someone tell me if it's calmed down on here since the game.
Yesterday evening, a neutral reading through the posts would have come to the conclusion we had just been relegated to the central combination league, or whatever it's called, and will be in the same league as Leamington Hibernians

In a word;

Nothetwatsarestillmoaning

Ring Of Steel

Depends if people just pop up to use hindsight about comments during the game.
When you support a team with a track record for late goals, I would have thought waiting to see what happens would be a sensible idea before making an idiot of yourself posting on a forum with the game still going on calling for peoples heads, calling the manager an arrogant prick, blaming it all on Robins falling out with Hiwula- it makes for very embarrassing reading.

SeaSeeEffCee

When you support a team with a track record for late goals, I would have thought waiting to see what happens would be a sensible idea before making an idiot of yourself posting on a forum with the game still going on calling for peoples heads, calling the manager an arrogant prick, blaming it all on Robins falling out with Hiwula- it makes for very embarrassing reading.
Jesus, it's been nearly 24 hours. Haven't you got bored of telling everyone 1000 times how perfect you are and how stupid everyone else is?

In a word;

Nothetwatsarestillmoaning
No they aren't. The only people moaning in this thread are the ones still crying about what people were posting when we conceded yesterday. The vast majority of posts on this thread for the last few pages are people talking about how much better they are than everyone else for not getting annoyed when we concede.

usskyblue

Depends if people just pop up to use hindsight about comments during the game.

I was a season ticket holder at HR for more years than I care to remember. I now watch on different streaming platforms. I get just as nervous, and wrapped up in the game, if not more because I always felt (purely psychologically) that being there, I could somehow make a difference (sing louder, applaud harder, be more of an encouragement).

When I started the thread that took a shot at the moaners, it wasn’t anything to do with hindsight. It was the night we LOST the cup game v Birmingham. Wine fueled, maybe...but it was an accumulation of frustration ONLY towards people that hurl abuse at the manager and players, NOT those that air fair critical opinion.

While I accept watching on a laptop doesn’t afford me the perspective I’d get if I was there, it doesn’t make a difference to the annoyance, anger and pure joy that I experience throughout a game.

I watched the Bolton game and posted during it. Was I frustrated at the performance? Yes. Was I pissed off when Bolton scored? Absolutely. Did I have an inclination to post abuse towards the players or manager? No.

I’m not on a high horse. I’m just an eternal optimist (fuck knows why supporting this club as long as I have). More pertinently, I trust the management team and this group of players (as individuals and as a team).

Watching O’Hare (a loanee) with his head split open, busting his gut to chase down a ball in injury time to make sure we held on to the lead was nothing short of fucking brilliant. And it shows how much the players care about our team. The fluid passing football is great....but the pride and fight when winning ugly needs the recognition it deserves.

I know real judgement on the season comes when it concludes, but I’m proud of this team and the management.

Users who are viewing this thread