Match Thread Coventry City vs. Bolton Wanderers Match Thread - Saturday 8th Feb (6 Viewers)

Ring Of Steel

In the time frame between their equaliser and our second did you think we looked more likely to score?
When we’ve scored so many late goals this season, some after performances which weren’t the best, why didn’t you think it might happen again?

Brighton Sky Blue

I’ve seen us score plenty of late goals this year, this team never knows when to quit- this is not the CCFC of previous seasons, I knew we’d create at least one last chance before the end, and it was whether we’d take it. We did. Exactly as we have been doing- grinding out a win, a perfect response to a gruelling cup game (as Robins himself said, Brum had an impact), I’m hoping for an improvement on Tuesday cause we’ll need it, yesterday was just fine.

So yes- if you’ve been watching this club this season and focussing on the pitch instead of your phone, you’d know that things happen late with us- loads of games had last minute winners, so I expected something to happen, and just prayed that we’d convert it.

I have been watching most games in one form or another, when possible. And I do not constantly slate this side contrary to popular belief.

It looked like we would concede again. I’m relieved we didn’t.

Grendel

When we’ve scored so many late goals this season, some after performances which weren’t the best, why didn’t you think it might happen again?

We’ve also conceded late and they should have scored before we did

mrtrench

grendel. I have observed for a while, your insecurities resemble the johnson/cummings coup of disenabling any journalists that are pro-european with reporting on the tragedy of brexit. you call for justice and distort the truth. FEAR.

Crikey, if I had a pound for every time I met someone with insecurities resembling the johnson/cummings coup of disenabling any journalists that are pro-european with reporting on the tragedy of brexit. And calling for justice and distorting the truth...

mark82

You need to take a quick glance mark82 at the infamous thread #listentomenow #hearmeout #taxiforrobins. We have some real football geniuses on here. That thread wasn’t so long ago.

It's this season but it's also not particularly recent. I don't see why people bring this stuff up just to point score against other fans. Opinions change, people admit they got things wrong (big G aside) so no need to constantly bring up stuff that happened in the past just to try to score cheap points. Everyone is an expert in hindsight.

mark82

I completely understand that football fans will feel frustrated when things are not going well. This season more than ever as we have one of the strongest squads in the league and should be challenging.

I posted post BCFC that fans should be allowed to vent when others were questioning the (in their opinion) over reactions, so again I get it.

However, my annoyance is wider than one game. Today was just the latest example and epitomises the negativity. There are certain posters who constantly over react, and are constantly critical of players, MR, the club, whatever it may be. They seemingly look for reasons to be negative and any positivity is reluctantly provided or offered alongside a negative.

To take your family analogy; I love my partner and baby, yet I will moan about them (well actually not the baby yet, just the partner!), but when it’s justified and to a limit. I don’t look for reasons to moan nor would I overreact when I do. If I was consistently doing those things, it would tell me I shouldn’t be with her.

Very sensible post. This is exactly what forums such as this are for. It gives us a place to discuss, but also to vent with people who understand.

Do agree there is no need for constant negativity, but to be honest I know plenty of Cov fans that are like that in real life - not just on the internet. I think it's probably an in-built defense mechanism from years of underachievement.

mark82

The family analogy is piss poor, unless these people like to scream at their kids that they are “arrogant pricks” and threaten to stick their wife in a cab so she can “fuck off” when things aren’t going swimmingly.

I think you understand what he is getting at though, right? I fail to believe anyone would be stupid enough not to understand that.

You are so similar to Grendel it's unreal, just with the polar opposite view.

Ring Of Steel

It's this season but it's also not particularly recent. I don't see why people bring this stuff up just to point score against other fans. Opinions change, people admit they got things wrong (big G aside) so no need to constantly bring up stuff that happened in the past just to try to score cheap points. Everyone is an expert in hindsight.
You’re right that it’s not recent, this stuff has sent me round the bend for decades. And I do understand to a degree, however this is not a ‘normal’ season, we just came off two draining cup games and we’re going for automatic promotion, yet some people want to assess the players and manager as if it’s a run of the mill early season game with no pressure whatsoever. it betrays a lack of understanding of where the club is right now.I trust Robins, but you have to know that the pressure is mounting for him & the players- this is a monumental season in the history of the club, in some ways you could argue it’s actually shit or bust, so to pontificate about all the minute deficiencies across the team and then graduate onto acerbic insults while the game is going on & bearing in mind we have a history of late goals no matter what the performance- I don’t get it. It was beyond “constructive criticism”.

Terry_dactyl

I think this is mainly coming from the I Follow generation who don’t go to games

It’s interesting that generally these people never comment through games while sitting on their armchairs slurping their cuppa soups and only tend to appear at the end (and generally wouldn’t of the last goal hadn’t gone in)

Fans commenting through the game itself while at it are going to view things more passionately as they are caught up in the atmosphere
I’m always impressed that anyone can post during a game when they’re there. As I don’t go up every game I’m glad they do though!

Ring Of Steel

Wasn’t someone putting up posts from 9 years ago yesterday to score “cheap points” and show someone else up? Sure I saw that, I don’t recall who was involved though.

mark82

You’re right that it’s not recent, this stuff has sent me round the bend for decades. And I do understand to a degree, however this is not a ‘normal’ season, we just came off two draining cup games and we’re going for automatic promotion, yet some people want to assess the players and manager as if it’s a run of the mill early season game with no pressure whatsoever. it betrays a lack of understanding of where the club is right now.I trust Robins, but you have to know that the pressure is mounting for him & the players- this is a monumental season in the history of the club, in some ways you could argue it’s actually shit or bust, so to pontificate about all the minute deficiencies across the team and then graduate onto acerbic insults while the game is going on & bearing in mind we have a history of late goals no matter what the performance- I don’t get it. It was beyond “constructive criticism”.

I don't think people are necessarily criticising, it's more venting. We all know the team aren't perfect, none are. There are areas we could've improved in the latest window (although not many), the reality is we probably couldn't afford to do it.

I personally find our strike force frustrating. I feel we look more of a threat with Max up front when we play one. I feel all our strikers would be more suited to playing with a partner. I wouldn't necessarily change it though because the current system has got us where we are - it's just frustrating we dominate games but it rarely shows how much on the one stat that matters. It was probably more a problem earlier in the season when we were drawing a lot of games. Crucial period coming up now, some massive games, starting Tuesday. The next few games could decide our season.

alfielloyd

both frustration and emotion is fine, they are natural and essential ingredients of the matchday experience but some of the negativity directed towards robins is astounding and frankly moronic. unfortunately, modern culture supported by the premier league media machine seems to have created a complete lack of tolerance and a disproportionate expectation when things are not perfect. so we struggled to beat bolton but we did and there is a much bigger landscape. plenty of reasons to be cheerful and we should be wholly appreciative of the work instigated by robins.FEAR

itsabuzzard

both frustration and emotion is fine, they are natural and essential ingredients of the matchday experience but some of the negativity directed towards robins is astounding and frankly moronic. unfortunately, modern culture supported by the premier league media machine seems to have created a complete lack of tolerance and a disproportionate expectation when things are not perfect. so we struggled to beat bolton but we did and there is a much bigger landscape. plenty of reasons to be cheerful and we should be wholly appreciative of the work instigated by robins.FEAR
Wouldn't disagree with this, but what's with the "FEAR"?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

better days

Just watched the extended highlights
Pretty impressive football
Max is coming on leaps and bounds. The game management in the final minute when he took the ball to the corner flag and drew a foul was something we've been missing with so many young players in the side
And if his overhead kick had gone in it would have been all over Sky for the whole weekend

Irish Sky Blue

Let’s be honest if we manage to somehow beat Portsmouth - and it’s probably going to be a bakayoko goal off the bench and it hits the back of his head in the 93rd minute - then we might well

Robins is Ian Botham in his last World Cup and today clinches it for me
We haven't been lucky this season and we weren't lucky yesterday. We have got to where we are because of the way we have played. There is a good case to be made that with the rub of the green we could be a good few points better off. (Bolton away, Tranmere, Doncaster home just a few of the games we didn't get what we deserved).
Yesterday we didn't play well and Marosi made two outstanding saves. I think Bolton posed us problems but we certainly didn't deserve to lose. Winning games like this shows we are a team with real spirit.
If we had drawn this game the record over the past 8 games would have been won 5 drawn 3 lost 0. Promotion form. With the win that is 20 points from the last 24. Yet to you Robins is arrogant because he didn't bring Hiwula on.
It is hard to know what Robins would have to achieve before you acknowledge that for us he has been a good manager.
It is okay to say that you were wrong.

Skyblueweeman

I think this is mainly coming from the I Follow generation who don’t go to games

It’s interesting that generally these people never comment through games while sitting on their armchairs slurping their cuppa soups and only tend to appear at the end (and generally wouldn’t of the last goal hadn’t gone in)

Fans commenting through the game itself while at it are going to view things more passionately as they are caught up in the atmosphere
I don't know if that was aimed at me but I dont watch games on iFollow.

Some of us due to distance, family commitments, work, cannot make every game like you. I've only been to two games this season. Doesn't invalidate opinion but this has been done to death on this forum.

I get yours and others frustrations but it just seems like mega overreactions. Everyone is entitled to opinions but Robin's isn't a mug. He knows what he's doing and has proved it over the course of a few years here. He gets some stuff wrong...but the table doesn't lie...we're in a great position to win this league.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Irish Sky Blue

Yeah absolutely. I got a lot of shit for throwing my toys out of the pram on Tuesday and today's abject performance emphasised my points entirely.

We won and I'm over the moon about that, but it was ugly and pointing out that it wasn't really good enough is a perfectly reasonable statement to make.

You can get off your high horse.
You got stick on Tuesday for calling the performance embarrassing. It was a performance to be proud of.

Irish Sky Blue

No discussion of the game allowed! Complementary posts only!
Calling Robins arrogant and worse isn't having a discussion. There is no logic or rationality to throwing insults at the manager particularly when you consider the run we are on.
Aimlessly asserting with complete conviction that he needs to do this or needs to do that, when, on almost every occasion he has shown that he knows what he is doing is also completely pointless. What has he got to do before some people stop turning on him at the slightest set back?

DannyThomas_1981

It’s interesting how those who are most critical of the team and seem determined that certain players fail......respond to being called out on their nonsense.

The stack of responses gets ever wider and more remarkable ranging from:

‘You like him because he takes selfies’

‘You never go to games so you can’t have an opinion like me’

‘It’s an Internet forum innit so we’ll write whatever unfounded abuse we want and you’re not cut out for this.’

To the new favourite:

‘You’re just trying to get likes and score points on the internet.’

WTF.

Reminds me so much of Brexit slogans - which mean absolutely nothing and show there is nothing of substance.

Grendel

I don't know if that was aimed at me but I dont watch games on iFollow.

Some of us due to distance, family commitments, work, cannot make every game like you. I've only been to two games this season. Doesn't invalidate opinion but this has been done to death on this forum.

I get yours and others frustrations but it just seems like mega overreactions. Everyone is entitled to opinions but Robin's isn't a mug. He knows what he's doing and has proved it over the course of a few years here. He gets some stuff wrong...but the table doesn't lie...we're in a great position to win this league.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It wasn’t aimed at you

usskyblue

It’s interesting how those who are most critical of the team and seem determined that certain players fail......respond to being called out on their nonsense.

The stack of responses gets ever wider and more remarkable ranging from:

‘You like him because he takes selfies’

‘You never go to games so you can’t have an opinion like me’

‘It’s an Internet forum innit so we’ll write whatever unfounded abuse we want and you’re not cut out for this.’

To the new favourite:

‘You’re just trying to get likes and score points on the internet.’

WTF.

Reminds me so much of Brexit slogans - which mean absolutely nothing and show there is nothing of substance.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread