Match Thread Coventry City vs. Arsenal U21 Match Thread - Wednesday 12th Sep (1 Viewer)

Adge

Don’t know why people bother paying to watch these sort of games. Waste of time and money and not really sure that the players themselves treat it seriously.

Nick

Administrator
Don’t know why people bother paying to watch these sort of games. Waste of time and money and not really sure that the players themselves treat it seriously.
They were when they had kids picking on them and leaving their foot in on tackles

pw362

It was the first leg final of the FA Youth Cup in 1999. We were schooled by a young joe Cole and beaten over two legs 9-0! The crowd at HR was excellent (but exceptional in the literal sense) it was only our second appearance in the youth club final (the first was in 1987 when we beat Charlton). Amazingly we got to the final again the next year to be beaten 5-1 by Arsenal (including Jay Bothroyd).

In the late 1980s we were failing to get crowds of 10k for division one games. Very few were turning up to see our players in the Central League even though many season tickets included free reserve team tickets. Attendances picked up a little for the Prem era post 1992 and our promotion from the Pontins reserve league div 2 in The mid 90s (Oggy in goal) might have encouraged some attendance push but as you say the ground was rarely more than a quarter open even then.
First youth final we got to was 67/68 lost to Burnley 3-2 on aggregate. Then lost 1-0 to Spurs in a replay 69/70

stupot07

Nope 7 are experienced: LOB, Davies, Hiwula, Bakayoko, Ogogo, Kelly, Andreu.
Yep,

it was our reserve team

The first 11 are hardly our 'reserve' team - bar Thompson, Camwell and Allasani, the rest are all bone fide first team squad members who (Kelly's injury aside) have all started league games for us this season. It would have been nice for them to out in a performance to try and stake a claim to get back in the side.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

larry_david

Think the lad who scored their opener played in a few first team friendlies and impressed, and their captain was stolen from barca youth team. There's alot of u21s in this comp that get battered but arsenal u21s are always decent.

David O'Day

Yep,

The first 11 are hardly our 'reserve' team - bar Thompson, Camwell and Allasani, the rest are all bone fide first team squad members who (Kelly's injury aside) have all started league games for us this season. It would have been nice for them to out in a performance to try and stake a claim to get back in the side.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
How many of our best current 11 started mate?

Nick

Administrator
How many of our best current 11 started mate?
Best as in what we think or what robins thinks?

Our best player was the third choice left back who's been centre half for the u23s. That's compared to 6 figure signings or players we have offered much more than other clubs.

David O'Day

Best as in what we think or what robins thinks?

Our best player was the third choice left back who's been centre half for the u23s. That's compared to 6 figure signings or players we have offered much more than other clubs.
best as in best, tell us who that played tonight should be starting on Saturday?

Nick

Administrator
Well nobody, as they were shocking. Most of them have started league games for us and will start more.

It's not as if we played the likes of eccles, Stedman etc from the start when it would be understandable that we might get bullied.

Andreu didn't stand out, hes meant to be our main man.

The only person who made a claim really was Camwell

best as in best, tell us who that played tonight should be starting on Saturday?

Last edited:

vow

Think the lad who scored their opener played in a few first team friendlies and impressed, and their captain was stolen from barca youth team. There's alot of u21s in this comp that get battered but arsenal u21s are always decent.
It's Arsenal's U21's first game in this comp ever, m8.

The Great Eastern

First youth final we got to was 67/68 lost to Burnley 3-2 on aggregate. Then lost 1-0 to Spurs in a replay 69/70
The Spurs game was over 2 legs. We drew at HR with Graham Souness showing everybody what a fantastic player he was going to be but then got sent off. Think Ive still got the programme somewhere...
As for the 10k reserve crowd, it happened in the 1st season we were in the Central League against Man U. Noel Cantwell had the reserves change from the Southern based Football Combination as he felt the Midlands/Nothern based Central League was more competitive. Pretty sure we didnt get near that size crowd again but 4 to 5 thousand was normal in the late 60's & very early 70's

KersleyDigs

I forgot about Camwell! Was it Robins or Mowbray who really rated him? Didn't Stoke try and sign him last season? Thought when we signed 3 leftbacks that it would be over for him, unless they are turning him into a left centre back?

Magwitch

That’s correct, Tottenham had Graeme Souness and Stevie Perryman amongst others in their line up. As for reserve attendances in the JH years 8/9000 was regular and one night v QPR the gate was over 12000 which at the time was a record I believe.

The Lurker

embarrassing last night. Camwell played well.

Arsenal u21 were good but not great. we were out played and bullied by kids doesn’t matter if they are future stars, we shouldn’t be losing like that.

half the players last night were seen by many on here as first team players when signed this summer Shows how bad the recruitment has been this summer.

steve82

Nothing much to be taken from last night in a bit of a disjointed side with nothing but to get match time in the legs of a few. The basic errors were bad to lead to goals tho we created a few chances in the first half of note.

Hiwula showed some good touches and good footwork in the first half, Bakayoko too but neither looked to stake a claim for the side in the coming weeks. Further development required before dislodging the current front two.

Tony Andreu looked positive and constantly forward thinking when receiving the ball which would suit Chaplin going forwards but Andreu only seems fit for 60 mins. Camwell put in a good display with some good delivery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Covstu

Nothing much to be taken from last night in a bit of a disjointed side with nothing but to get match time in the legs of a few. The basic errors were bad to lead to goals tho we created a few chances in the first half of note.

Hiwula showed some good touches and good footwork in the first half, Bakayoko too but neither looked to stake a claim for the side in the coming weeks. Further development required before dislodging the current front two.

Tony Andreu looked positive and constantly forward thinking when receiving the ball which would suit Chaplin going forwards but Andreu only seems fit for 60 mins. Camwell put in a good display with some good delivery

I thought camwell had a decent game but one area he does need to improve was his delivery, there back four were eating them up all night. High talent however and excited to see whether he can break through to the first team later in the season

steve82

I thought camwell had a decent game but one area he does need to improve was his delivery, there back four were eating them up all night. High talent however and excited to see whether he can break through to the first team later in the season

Consistently is the issue with his delivery for me, and his defensive work.
Be good for him to go out on loan in the national league again for longer than a month and get a good run in a side fighting for a shirt each week while developing his game competitively in games that matter.
Ironing out moments like last night at the end.

Irish Sky Blue

Yep course they did. In fact that’s just the number who were in the WesternTerrace.
And we never lost HR and there were no restricted views caused by steel girders. And the Bovril was worthy of a Michelin star. And all the local kids supported the City rather than Liverpool or Man Utd or Leeds. And the band played believe it if you like.

I understand why people don’t feel at home at the Ricoh and why many of us regret leaving HR but the mythology abt the place is astounding. Regularly 10k fans for a central league game? Behave
I think the record for a reserve game at HR was 12000. The average gate for reserve games under Jimmy Hill would probably have been between 2k and 3k.

larry_david

It's Arsenal's U21's first game in this comp ever, m8.

Didn't realise arsenal u21s had never ever played a match before in their history of existence. Cheers

Their first goal scorer scored past atletico Madrid in pre season, the second goal scorer scored 2 Europa league goals, let's have a bit of realism here. Age doesn't matter, players signed from barcas youth camp are gonna run rings round an unfit ogogo and Kelly* as Robins said, draw a line under it and move on

This is not a dig at Kelly he's my fav player and can't wait for him to be fit.

Nick

Administrator
Most of his crosses were good bar a couple

It was 3 v 1 every time so easy to clear them up.

Nick

Administrator
Didn't realise arsenal u21s had never ever played a match before in their history of existence. Cheers

Their first goal scorer scored past atletico Madrid in pre season, the second goal scorer scored 2 Europa league goals, let's have a bit of realism here. Age doesn't matter, players signed from barcas youth camp are gonna run rings round an unfit ogogo and Kelly* as Robins said, draw a line under it and move on

This is not a dig at Kelly he's my fav player and can't wait for him to be fit.
It's not even so much the running rings round, our players looked scared of them and showed them too much respect.

They were the ones putting strong tackles in, going in over the ball, leaving feet in.

djr8369

It's not even so much the running rings round, our players looked scared of them and showed them too much respect.

They were the ones putting strong tackles in, going in over the ball, leaving feet in.

The ref didn’t help with that situation to be fair. Some bizarre decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
The ref didn’t help with that situation to be fair. Some bizarre decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again though, our players let it happen over and over. Can't even put it down to inexperience

He gave a foul when Allisanni got hammered but it was actually a great tackle.

Their players were on at him appealing for things

better days

I forgot about Camwell! Was it Robins or Mowbray who really rated him? Didn't Stoke try and sign him last season? Thought when we signed 3 leftbacks that it would be over for him, unless they are turning him into a left centre back?
Camwell looked like he could be the next big thing but I think his lifestyle wasn't the best and he lost his way
Hopefully he's back on track now

Esoterica

thought allesani looked good at times. quite strong too.
Flattered to deceive for me, like Thomas has in the league. Absolutely no end product where it counted apart from the one time he nearly slipped Hiwula clean through. He'd beat a couple of players on his wing and then all momentum would be lost when he'd have to cut back onto his right foot to cross the ball. You can't allow that extra couple of seconds for a defence to reorganise when you've only got one man to aim for in the box. Not blaming him by the way, this trend of playing wingers on the wrong side is a nice theory but rarely working in practice.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Flattered to deceive for me, like Thomas. Absolutely no end product where it counted apart from the one time he nearly slipped Hiwula clean through. He'd beat a couple of players on his wing and then all momentum would be lost when he'd have to cut back onto his right foot to cross the ball. You can't allow that extra couple of seconds for a defence to reorganise when you've only got one man to aim for in the box. Not blaming him by the way, this trend of playing wingers on the wrong side is a nice theory but rarely working in practice.

Did you get a stream or did you come over especially? :)

Esoterica

Never knew that! Could have stayed at home!
It's still not very well documented. For example it says:

Please note: Checkatrade Trophy matches are now available on iFollow, but there will be no Carabao Cup or FA Cup matches available to watch on the service

But then when you check the exclusions it lists the next two Checkatrade games:

The following matches are unavailable to watch live on iFollow:
Coventry City vs Sunderland
Sat 29 Sep 18 12:30 (UK)
Sky Bet League One

Coventry City vs Forest Green Rovers
Tue 9 Oct 18 19:45 (UK)
efl_checkatrade_tr_l_reg_h_4c_1.png

Cheltenham Town vs Coventry City
Tue 13 Nov 18 19:45 (UK)
efl_checkatrade_tr_l_reg_h_4c_1.png

better days

I'm on holiday so missed last night but a good judge who was there reckoned our first eleven would have battered them
As soon as you see 11 changes you know whichever players are included it's unlikely to go well
Although they are kids the Arse players will have been together as a team for a while and won't be wondering who to pass to and who's going to be making runs etc

Nick

Administrator
I'm on holiday so missed last night but a good judge who was there reckoned our first eleven would have battered them
As soon as you see 11 changes you know whichever players are included it's unlikely to go well
Although they are kids the Arse players will have been together as a team for a while and won't be wondering who to pass to and who's going to be making runs etc

Will still be an improvement on our first eleven then.

Users who are viewing this thread