Match Thread Coventry City vs. Arsenal U21 Match Thread - Wednesday 12th Sep (3 Viewers)

Gazolba

The quote was "some reserve games". Not regularly. The detail is lost in the mists of time, but we did have very good attendances in those days for the reserves, A-team and youth team. And the first team of course. There was a real buzz about the club
I used to go to lots of reserve games at HR in the mid 60's. The reserve team was almost as good as the first team and there were usually a few stars in the opposing team. Attendances were in the 1500-2500 range and they let you in free at half-time.

Nick

Administrator
It's the checkatrade cup mate, would you rather e play the best 11 and someone gets hurt?
No I'd rather see an actual plan to at least try and win the game. Sadly it's the same things we see most weeks that aren't working.

At the minimum I don't want to see us get bullied by younger kids who were pretty small

David O'Day

No I'd rather see an actual plan to at least try and win the game. Sadly it's the same things we see most weeks that aren't working.

At the minimum I don't want to see us get bullied.
It is basically a friendly as we like last year have no interest in this cup

Sick Boy

The quote was "some reserve games". Not regularly. The detail is lost in the mists of time, but we did have very good attendances in those days for the reserves, A-team and youth team. And the first team of course. There was a real buzz about the club

I remember them fondly, especially seeing the Beckham team playing. I do remember there being around 10k there one time but loads of Newcastle fans had travelled down. I think that was the game Jon Gayle ran out with his shorts on back to front.

Sky Blue Harry H

Dave Bennett has not stopped chipping away all game at how the Arsenal player names all sound foreign despite being told after about 10 minutes that 9 of their 11 are British. Embarrassing to listen to.

If it had been a white British bloke, he'd be getting a talking to. He may do, anyway

shmmeee

To play devilled avocado, the nationality of youth teams at the top level is relevant in a non-racist way. But they’re mostly English so no harm no foul.

Reactions: vow

itsabuzzard

Devilled avocado - even better than an Oggy roll.
To play devilled avocado, the nationality of youth teams at the top level is relevant in a non-racist way. But they’re mostly English so no harm no foul.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

I think MR will say happy re: Kelly - will also say some haven't taken their opportunity. He will also say Arsenal have some very good youngsters, Interested to see if he is 'annoyed' or dismissive.

JimmyHillsbeard

I’ll concede the point abt a buzz around the club during the Skyblue revolution era - but we quickly became the least well supported club in the region after the late 1960s. Really good crowds were occasional but 10k for reserve games is fantasy. Attendances were never published for reserve games - with good reason. By the 1980s we were lucky to get 10k for a first team game.

NortonSkyBlue

I wouldn't invest too much time in dwelling on tonight's result.
It's a run out for some guys and not many would have put themselves forward for selection on Saturday.
League one results are the priority and that is how Robins will be judged. I must say I have a bad feeling about how that will turn out though.
I hope I am wrong.

speedie87

Any that’s ladies and gents is why Doyle is still first choice , Ogogo was (hopefully not is) shocking

Covstu

Left when the second went in. Had a lot of chances but crossing was poor again. Not worried though moving on!

djr8369

Horrible atmosphere tonight. People were so angry and negative it was actual uncomfortable.

Arsenal surprisingly physical for such a young side and had some big players. Having said that the ref made a lot of shockingly poor decisions.

Main different in quality seemed to be their movement. They were pulling our players all over the players and had the speed to close us down and restrict passing opportunities whenever we had the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimmyHillsbeard

He's correct though. I was a regular at reserve games as a teenager in the mid 90's. Most games only got a couple of thousand. When I was going up it was only the Main Stand that was open. But on odd occasions, "big" games, there was a fair crowd. Perhaps not 10000 though.

Of course when we played West Ham upin the youth cup (final or semi, I can't recall), there were loads there and the whole stadium was open, probably 15-17000 if my hazy memory is correct.

It was the first leg final of the FA Youth Cup in 1999. We were schooled by a young joe Cole and beaten over two legs 9-0! The crowd at HR was excellent (but exceptional in the literal sense) it was only our second appearance in the youth club final (the first was in 1987 when we beat Charlton). Amazingly we got to the final again the next year to be beaten 5-1 by Arsenal (including Jay Bothroyd).

In the late 1980s we were failing to get crowds of 10k for division one games. Very few were turning up to see our players in the Central League even though many season tickets included free reserve team tickets. Attendances picked up a little for the Prem era post 1992 and our promotion from the Pontins reserve league div 2 in The mid 90s (Oggy in goal) might have encouraged some attendance push but as you say the ground was rarely more than a quarter open even then.

Sky Blue Harry H

MR's summary.assessment was reasonable, I thought. He didn't get asked about Hiwula playing wide, though?

Nick

Administrator
They were more Street wise
Horrible atmosphere tonight. People were so angry and negative it was actual uncomfortable.

Arsenal surprisingly physical for such a young side and had some big players. Having said that the ref made a lot of shockingly poor decisions.

Main different in quality seemed to be their movement. They were pulling our players all over the players and had the speed to close us down and restrict passing opportunities whenever we had the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esoterica

I thought Andreu played alright, worked hard, some nice touches and movement. Allassani didn't get beyond Bakayoko all game though as he wants the ball deep and to run at players, Hiwula only got beyond once or twice and looked stifled at RM and both Kelly and Ogogo are DMs. When Andreu get's the ball within 40-50 yards of goal, his first instinct is always to look up for a quick killer pass and most of the time he had Bakayoko there wanting a ball into feet back to goal. Didn't feel like much of a plan to win tonight, more a chance to put minutes into people's legs.

Sky Blue Harry H

They were more Street wise

If you are fitter ( a few of ours are still coming back from injuries) and have more ability/technique, it is unlikely to end well for the opposition (us). Not sure it will have been down to being streetwise (as per Michael Doyle), but I wasn't at the game, as you were, so can't argue too strongly!

dazed&confused

If you attend these things with zero expectations - as I did - you don't come away feeling disappointed. It was basically a training match that I paid £10 to get into. Some interesting bits of play; some poor bits of play. I didn't learn anything, but I wouldn't complain about it. Parking was easy and getting away after the game was quick. Enough said.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I thought Andreu played alright, worked hard, some nice touches and movement. Allassani didn't get beyond Bakayoko all game though as he wants the ball deep and to run at players, Hiwula only got beyond once or twice and looked stifled at RM and both Kelly and Ogogo are DMs. When Andreu get's the ball within 40-50 yards of goal, his first instinct is always to look up for a quick killer pass and most of the time he had Bakayoko there wanting a ball into feet back to goal. Didn't feel like much of a plan to win tonight, more a chance to put minutes into people's legs.

That's the thing, bakayoko when he got the ball at his feet did some decent touches and brought others into play.

He had nobody near him most of the game. While we have andreu taking the place of a striker it makes it impossible for him to be playing strikers in.

It was pointless playing hiwula there, should have just put one of our kids there.

Sky Blue Harry H

If you attend these things with zero expectations - as did - you don't come away feeling disappointed. It was basically a training match that I paid £10 to get into. Some interesting bits of play; some poor bits of play. I didn't learn anything, but I wouldn't complain about it. Parking was easy and getting away after the game was quick. Enough said.

You sound like you have an inbuilt recovery system (necessary if you follow the City over a period of time). Man after my on heart - glass half full. topped up with a bit of perspective!

Users who are viewing this thread