Match Thread Coventry City vs. Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Saturday 3rd Nov (1 Viewer)

zuni

Doyle was poor but I am raging at the referees inability to spot accy continual dirty tricks...bordered on comical in some instances...either inept or cheating it was a disgrace, fucking mind is still blown how they got away with it...again

Otis

He was very poor, as were the linesmen.

First half Zanzala and Davies were tussling for the ball in front of the East Stand and as Davies tried to clear the ball, Zanzala grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him back, resulting in Davies miscuing his clearance.

That was directly right in front of the linesman. He was 5 yards away tops, but didn't raise his flag.

Clear freekick.

steve82

I watched this goal back several times now and I’d of liked Brown to of done more before and after Tom Davies tame challenge.

The initial through ball for the No 9 Brown makes the movement to intercept the pass and stops leaving the ball at the strikers feet, Davies looks to then challenge coming across him which didn’t work and ball rebounds in favour of the striker leaving the No 9 facing just the recovered Brown who stands off him instead of closing him down and taking responsibility as the striker has time to shift the ball onto his right foot to lash home.

The talk of Davies than standing behind Brown is irrelevant to me as he’s no time to do anything other on the path he’d taken from the challenge he made.

Brown was the one in a position to close him down instead of blocking the pathway to goal which was all Davies had time left to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkyBlueCRJ

I watched this goal back several times now and I’d of liked Brown to of done more before and after Tom Davies tame challenge.

The initial through ball for the No 9 Brown makes the movement to intercept the pass and stops leaving the ball at the strikers feet, Davies looks to then challenge coming across him which didn’t work and ball rebounds in favour of the striker leaving the No 9 facing just the recovered Brown who stands off him instead of closing him down and taking responsibility as the striker has time to shift the ball onto his right foot to lash home.

The talk of Davies than standing behind Brown is irrelevant to me as he’s no time to do anything other on the path he’d taken from the challenge he made.

Brown was the one in a position to close him down instead of blocking the pathway to goal which was all Davies had time left to do.

Brown should've done more, Davies should've done more. It's difficult to specifically point to who's directly responsible for the goal as a number of players are at fault in the run up including: Doyle, Hiwula, Brown and Davies. However why Davies is probably the most responsible IMO is due to the amount of mistakes he made. For instance: Davies completely misses the initial tackle which results in him being out of position. Mistake number one. Then panics when attempting to correct his position at the last minute and as a result he stands directly behind Brown, rendering him useless in blocking any attempt made by Zanzala. Mistake number two. But most crucially this last error causes him to block Burge's POV. Mistake number three. This is why Davies standing directly behind Brown is relevant as it seems to hinder any chance of Burge saving the shot. Which you can again see in the highlights by how Burge reacts so late when attempting to make a save.

But as you say Brown should've done more as he was a tad statuesque.

Skybluefaz

Brown should've done more, Davies should've done more. It's difficult to specifically point to who's directly responsible for the goal as a number of players are at fault in the run up including: Doyle, Hiwula, Brown and Davies. However why Davies is probably the most responsible IMO is due to the amount of mistakes he made. For instance: Davies completely misses the initial tackle which results in him being out of position. Mistake number one. Then panics when attempting to correct his position at the last minute and as a result he stands directly behind Brown, rendering him useless in blocking any attempt made by Zanzala. Mistake number two. But most crucially this last error causes him to block Burge's POV. Mistake number three. This is why Davies standing directly behind Brown is relevant as it seems to hinder any chance of Burge saving the shot. Which you can again see in the highlights by how Burge reacts so late when attempting to make a save.

The geezer hit it like a fucking rocket which is why it beats Burge. If Davies is directly behind Brown as you say. Presumably in relation to the ball/Zanzala he's blocking the least amount of Burge's view in that scenario. It all happens so fast it's pretty irrelevant anyway. The damage is done in multiple failures before the finish.

steve82

That’s my point, we’re looking to hang Davies as he had a off day up against a difficult player who had the better off him on a few occasions be that physically or little tricks against backing in etc... would we be looking to do so if that was his only tame challenge and it was a poor challenge leading to the striker having a striking opportunity.

In this specific move initially I portion blame equally with Doyle and Hiwula, Doyle played a risky ball and Hiwula failed to come to the ball having seen the Accrington players closing in on him. Brown then for the attempted interception before Davies soft challenge by not getting enough of the ball.

It’s at this point you like brown to do more than block the pathway as he’s now last man. Davies has literally 2 seconds to recover and opts to cover the other half of the goal to the left of Brown. Right choice in my eyes

It’s the motion of Brown shifting left attempting to block the shot which brings Davies behind Brown giving the illusion Davies obstructs Burge. At the point the ball was struck I think Burge just has enough sighting.
63e7343bf91c68e041875c4e9cff937a.jpg

SkyBlueCRJ

That’s my point, we’re looking to hang Davies as he had a off day up against a difficult player who had the better off him on a few occasions be that physically or little tricks against backing in etc... would we be looking to do so if that was his only tame challenge and it was a poor challenge leading to the striker having a striking opportunity.

In this specific move initially I portion blame equally with Doyle and Hiwula, Doyle played a risky ball and Hiwula failed to come to the ball having seen the Accrington players closing in on him. Brown then for the attempted interception before Davies soft challenge by not getting enough of the ball.

It’s at this point you like brown to do more than block the pathway as he’s now last man. Davies has literally 2 seconds to recover and opts to cover the other half of the goal to the left of Brown. Right choice in my eyes

It’s the motion of Brown shifting left attempting to block the shot which brings Davies behind Brown giving the illusion Davies obstructs Burge. At the point the ball was struck I think Burge just has enough sighting.
63e7343bf91c68e041875c4e9cff937a.jpg

I disagree personally. With 2 bodies in front of Zanzala, Burge's sight is most definitely restricted upon Zanzala's point of contact with the ball which causes him to react late. It's one of those that's pretty subjective though. Burge still may not have saved the shot if Davies hadn't been there as it was a great shot. At the end of the day Davies struggled dealing with Zanzala all game. Hardly a crime as MR knew the threat he possessed during his pre-match interview.

steve82

I disagree personally. With 2 bodies in front of Zanzala, Burge's sight is most definitely restricted upon Zanzala's point of contact with the ball which causes him to react late. It's one of those that's pretty subjective though. Burge still may not have saved the shot if Davies hadn't been there as it was a great shot. At the end of the day Davies struggled dealing with Zanzala all game. Hardly a crime as MR knew the threat he possessed during his pre-match interview.

It was a quality strike from a player who was brilliant all afternoon. Davies had a difficult and slightly poor game too by his standards and I don’t think anyone would disagree with that.

SkyBlueCRJ

The geezer hit it like a fucking rocket which is why it beats Burge. If Davies is directly behind Brown as you say. Presumably in relation to the ball/Zanzala he's blocking the least amount of Burge's view in that scenario. It all happens so fast it's pretty irrelevant anyway. The damage is done in multiple failures before the finish.

If you look at Steve82's post just before the point of contact with the ball Burge's view is clearly restricted from both parties. How much of the ball he could see is something only Burge will be able to answer but IMO it's hindered. You could argue both Brown and Davies are equally responsible for this but Davies running around the box like a headless chicken was probably nothing short of a distraction - and his final position directly behind Brown was just the icing on the cake for his overall match performance in my eyes as his positioning had been terrible all day. Like you said though it was a great shot by Zanzala so there's no guarantee Burge would've saved it even if Davies hadn't been there so you can't hold him directly responsible. But as you say it's done now, onto the next.

SkyBlueCRJ

It was a quality strike from a player who was brilliant all afternoon. Davies had a difficult and slightly poor game too by his standards and I don’t think anyone would disagree with that.

He was being dragged out of position all game and leaving huge gaps between himself and Willis on 2/3 occasions. That combined with his mistakes during the game (some of which Willis had to correct) a goal was probably always going to materialise. But he hasn't had too many shockers this season so like I said hardly a crime.

Nick

Administrator
If he had gone through him early doors to let him know who was boss it would never have happened. Instead he was the one being bossed because he let their 9 get the first one in and throw him about.

giphy.gif

fernandopartridge

Doyle's ball was awful, considering Hiwula was in his own half and is quick, he should have been looking to hit the channel rather than a ball to feet.

That said, Brown, was nowhere near close enough to his man, strangely as he usually dives in

Sky Blue Harry H

Christ lads - it was a goal - sometimes the opposition score. Are we going to do this over every future goal we concede? If so, I hope we keep a shedload of clean sheets.

Johhny Blue

In my opinion Doyle was more culpable for the goal than anyone else, (though Davis and Brown certainly played their part).
Even if it had been a decent ball I'm not sure what he would have expected Hiwula to do in that position. It was a tired pass so hopefully he'll be rested Saturday and come back fresh against Burton.
Just about every goal can be traced back to a misplaced or intercepted pass. If we conceded in the fitst minute you would probably blame whoever had the last kick in the previous game.

clint van damme

Just about every goal can be traced back to a misplaced or intercepted pass. If we conceded in the fitst minute you would probably blame whoever had the last kick in the previous game.

There's errors, then there's horrendous errors.
See Accringtons goal for an example of the latter.

greys4life

To be fair, and I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, Davies took a knock in the first 10/15 mins which resulted in him hobbling and holding his knee for some time. Whether this had any impact on his poor (by his standards) showing in the game is speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread