Coventry City Transfer Disappointments (1 Viewer)

Offhegoes

City have always sold their best players, but which ones hit you the hardest in your time as a supporter?

Cyrille Regis - Technically not a transfer. Butcher decided not to offer Cyrille a new deal in May 1991, and he left on a free. He then popped up at Aston Villa, having slimmed down, and had a a great season, including scoring after 1 minute against us on the last game of the season, that very nearly sent us down. What a bitter pill seeing Cyrille in the Villa shirt.

Robert Rosario - Not the best of players, but a tryer, and he really came into his own under Bobby Gould, and formed a great partnership with Mick Quinn. It was a bizarre signing by Clough at Forest to try and keep them up (it didn't) and from all accounts Rosario didn't want to leave, so club must of forced it through. Ripped the soul out of the team I always thought and they ended the season poorly.

Marc McNulty - The promotion season (well the last 2 months) was magical, and MM was the main man. To hear that his agent forced the move after Reading made their move was disappointing. MM got more money, but has barely played since, and been loaned out all over the place. Would of been interesting to see how McNulty played in League 1 had he stayed.

Reactions: AOM

Deity

For me it’s rarely been the specific player but normally the timing of the deal.

It’s the times when you can see the team coming together snd just needs 1or 2 more to really kick on, and then we sell and go backwards or stagnate.

it’s the times we have sold players cheaply on deadline day with no real ability to then use the money.

Overall I have to say for me it’s actually knowing that very little of the money will go back into the team.

I remember being gutted when we sold Keane but then excited that we would at least use the money to strengthen the overall team. ( we didn’t always spend it wisely )

now selling is part of our business model. Therefore it means survival but it doesn’t lead to the excited feeling of future investment in the playing squad.

kg82

Absolutely Dublin for me. Couple of other notables being David Thompson and McSheffrey.

lacesoutdom

dublin to villa hit me hard as a kid.
Keane / Hadji going too hurt.

knowing we were never going to keep maddison or wilson hurt, but was more understandable as an adult

losing marlon king to blues didnt hurt, but really annoyed me

fatso

Stuart Pearce, we virtually gave him to Forest!
Ian Wallace was a bitter blow, but at least we got decent money.
Aaron Gunnarson was another I'd of liked to keep,
Terry Gibson, Dion Dublin, Gary Gillespie, Kevin Gallagher, Phil Babb, there's bloody loads!

Cobi Jones's Dreads

This could be the longest thread on SBT, so many down the years have hurt.

All the above mentioned stung but one that really got me was Marlon King leaving, imo the best striker we have had since leaving the Premier League. Taken from us due to the piss poor management that was fronted Ken Dulieu at the time.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Dublin the most. Most memorable because he was such a massive player for us and to join our local rivals and to find out minutes before a match which we went onto lose. Boateng following him to Villa was a blow. Babb was disappointing too. Davenport memorable because the way he left the pitch after his last game made it clear he was leaving.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Apart from some of the more obvious ones already mentioned, I was gutted we moved Aloisi on when we got relegated.
That was a remarkably stupid move on so many levels. We'd just come down to a level where he'd scored for fun, and ended up paying £4mil more to bring in somebody else who had a track record of scoring at that level.

Indicative of our spending habits at the time, that!

Terry_dactyl

As a child, Kevin Gallacher being sold hit me hard. Seem to recall we played possibly Sheffield United (I think) in the evening and there had been a problem with Wegerle's medical so he hadn't been signed in time. I had hope this meant the whole deal was off!
You never forget your first…he was mine too.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Robbie Keane will always be my biggest transfer upset. Hated it when he left. 😭

Offhegoes

Yes, that was a really really bizarre move. We had a striker proven at that level who had a decent all round game and decided to replace him with a one dimensional clown like Hughes and spend £5m in the process

Strachan never liked Aloisi. He scored when he started games in the relegation season, but if he had one quiet game he was back on the bench, and replaced by Roussel or Bellamy.

Esoterica

That was a remarkably stupid move on so many levels. We'd just come down to a level where he'd scored for fun, and ended up paying £4mil more to bring in somebody else who had a track record of scoring at that level.

Indicative of our spending habits at the time, that!
Eoin Jess' transfer stands out for similar reasons. We managed to devalue him by 100k a month during his brief time with us!

baldy

I'd go along with Gallacher too along with countless others - Babb,Dublin,Hadji....Bellamy lolz

Users who are viewing this thread