Coventry City Transfer Disappointments (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

Yes, I meant awful management at board level tbh. Although Thorn managing the team certainly didn't help with avoiding relegation either!
He was a consequence of awful management in general.

Hod dog

Dublin hurt most as a kid

Westwood was gutting

then was gutted we couldn't get Mcgoldrick or Armstrong to sign permanent deals was disappointing but understandable from both.

Skyblue_CP

More recently was Vincelot aswell, was our last shining light of that dreadful window and then we let him go aswell.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I know he was only on loan from Liverpool at the time, but another player I wish we could have kept was Steve Warnock. He was outstanding for us for the time he was here. Even getting voted the "Fans Player of the Season" for 2003/2004. Always been a fan of his ever since.

RegTheDonk

Not the biggest disappointment, but selling Kirkland to Liverpool after being relegated. Richardson said something about the talented kids being the heart of the team, then a few days later sold our players player of the year. Made financial sense I guess but felt a real kick in the gut at our ambitions to bounce straight back.

Pricey1984

Huckerby was my childhood hero, so was gutted when he went.....though keane signing a few days later softened that blow. But then keane leaving a year later was awful too. I remember hearing the inter rumours and thinking they were ridiculous, given the strikers they already had. That one was unexpected and who knows if we'd have gone down had he stayed

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Dennis Mortimer for me.Wrote to the chairman at the time (Iain Jamieson) only time I have ever done such a thing.His reply was watch this space great things are planned (never happened).The team we had then really looked as though It was set for years to come with all the young players .Terry Bly and George Hudson I thought how could he let Bly go but the Hud's first game sealed it for me.Then that night when he knocked over Tony Knapp ran round and scored brilliant

Skyblueweeman

Jarni. Devo'ed when he left. The way he sat in the stands with those sunglasses...just gutted when he left.

In all seriousness...all of the above from about 1988. Plus Chris Kirkland.

The Philosopher

Onandi Lowe.
Came with stats that were incredible. Could play defence or up front.
Played. Scored. Went on international duty, awol and then arrested in Northampton on a drugs charge.

Got sacked.

Here’s the madness:

Innocent until proven guilty, right?

He could have played whilst on bail. Ched Evans did, had his best season on bail because he had everything play for.

Don’t get me started on Lee Hughes.

Imagine a fired up Onandi Lowe? Name one championship defence at the time who would want to take on a 6’5” “yardie” on a drugs charge with a point to prove?

Good management might have worked: Arm round him, in the team, tell him to do some community work to look good in front of the judge….

We fired him. He didn’t get found guilty.

Them be the facts.

Grendel

Onandi Lowe.
Played. Scored. Went on international duty, awol and then arrested in Northampton on a drugs charge.

Got sacked.

Here’s the madness:

He could have played whilst on bail. Ched Evans did, had his best season on bail because he had everything play for.

Imagine a fired up Onandi Lowe? Name one championship defence at the time who would want to take on a 6’5” “yardie” on a drugs charge with a point to prove?

Good management might have worked: Arm round him, in the team, tell him to do some community work to look good in front of the judge….

Them be the facts.

He was already 30 had only scored at league 2 level and was shite

SlowerThanPlatt

Onandi Lowe.

Got sacked.

Here’s the madness:

Them be the facts.

That’s quite a passionate defence of a player who played twice

Grendel

He was 29, and we got him out of League 1 (where he had a goal ratio of better than 1 in 2) and a regular full international.

Other than that…..

He played one season for rushden at that level - he was a desperate signing in a desperate time - the full international thing is nonsense - Che Bunce played 90 times for New Zealand.

Also he was on bail for months and it’s fair to say his reason for using a false identity to avoid the paparazzi showing up at the airport was….creative - he was well over 29 by the time charges were dropped due to lack of evidence

It’s a bizarre person to pick - he was a symptom of our decline at that point

Grendel

That’s quite a passionate defence of a player who played twice

he used fake ID entering the country as he thought a swarm of paparazzi would identity him as a mega star

The Philosopher

He played one season for rushden at that level - he was a desperate signing in a desperate time - the full international thing is nonsense - Che Bunce played 90 times for New Zealand.

Also he was on bail for months and it’s fair to say his reason for using a false identity to avoid the paparazzi showing up at the airport was….creative - he was well over 29 by the time charges were dropped due to lack of evidence

It’s a bizarre person to pick - he was a symptom of our decline at that point
F’kin hell man, who put 10p in you?

SBT

Jarni. Devo'ed when he left. The way he sat in the stands with those sunglasses...just gutted when he left.

In all seriousness...all of the above from about 1988. Plus Chris Kirkland.

I was unironically gutted when the Jarni thing didn't work out. He probably would have been an upgrade on Froggatt.

COV

John Hartson was bad- one day he’s saying how he loves the club & how he’s going to fire us straight back to the premier league and how he would refuse a move even if Man Utd came in for him… goes to Celtic literally 48 hours later

Terry_dactyl

Dublin the most. Most memorable because he was such a massive player for us and to join our local rivals and to find out minutes before a match which we went onto lose. Boateng following him to Villa was a blow. Babb was disappointing too. Davenport memorable because the way he left the pitch after his last game made it clear he was leaving.
I remember being gutted that we sold Babb, and furious that we bought Dublin* with some of the money we had for him! I was then furious when we sold Dublin…rightly so.

*It wasn’t that I didn’t rate Dublin, id seen him destroy us (Andy Pearce) when he played for Cambridge Utd. It was more that I really rated Babb and thought we’d go down without him at the back. I think it’s fair to say it was a good bit of business.

wantageskyblue

John Hartson was bad- one day he’s saying how he loves the club & how he’s going to fire us straight back to the premier league and how he would refuse a move even if Man Utd came in for him… goes to Celtic literally 48 hours later
I went to an pre-season game at Brentford one Saturday around that time - pretty sure he didn’t play because he was talking to Celtic or he had just signed for them. I remember all that bull about loving the club too, until more money came along...

Users who are viewing this thread