Coventry City Transfer Disappointments (1 Viewer)

Terry_dactyl

I went to an pre-season game at Brentford one Saturday around that time - pretty sure he didn’t play because he was talking to Celtic or he had just signed for them. I remember all that bull about loving the club too, until more money came along...
Surely it was the clubs decision to sell him though?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember being gutted that we sold Babb, and furious that we bought Dublin* with some of the money we had for him! I was then furious when we sold Dublin…rightly so.

*It wasn’t that I didn’t rate Dublin, id seen him destroy us (Andy Pearce) when he played for Cambridge Utd. It was more that I really rated Babb and thought we’d go down without him at the back. I think it’s fair to say it was a good bit of business.
I also loved Phil Babb. He was a fantastic defender. Didn't we sell him to Liverpool?

Gint11

Dublin hurt and then my idol Boateng went. Absolute gutter

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yes I am sure you are right - we were really cash strapped but he would have known that so why say all that bollocks?
Think I went to a game where Hartson was speaker, he said that befor who’s holidays the club promised to make him captain, keep Bellamy and Hadji and make a real push to go straight back up

When he got back, Bellamy and hadji were sold and we were in advanced talks to sell Hartson to Celtic

fernandopartridge

British record for a defender yep.

Gutted when he left, my first City hero. Only eclipsed by Dublin & his departure.

Shame his career didn't really hit the heights it could have from then. He did OK at Liverpool originally but they played him wing back for a while I'm sure. He was an excellent centre half, quick, good on the ball

mmttww

Shame his career didn't really hit the heights it could have from then. He did OK at Liverpool originally but they played him wing back for a while I'm sure. He was an excellent centre half, quick, good on the ball

From stories and bits in documentaries I don't think he helped himself. Liverpool's Spice Boys and the Ireland squad weren't exactly all model pros!

Moff

He was such a classy centre half for us.

He infamously smashed his nuts on the post whilst sliding in to try to stop Casiraghi scoring for Chelsea against Liverpool.
Must have brought a few tears to his eyes!

That’s gotta HURT! - Bing video

Longford

Dennis Mortimer was a painful transfer as he was one of our own and a great player, some transfers out were and are easy to understand with our perilous financial situation through the years but some leave you shaking your head. Pearce was another who should have been handcuffed for a couple more years. Am I correct in thinking that Greg Downes was his replacement?

Micky Adams I think. Downes came later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: COV

Brighton Sky Blue

The summer where Westwood, Gunnarsson, King, and Turner left was brutal.

The fact that their only replacements were Cody McDonald, Joe Murphy, Chris Dunn and Herman Hreiðarsson made it even worse.

Juke's 'replacement' was Alex Nimely. Let that sink in

Users who are viewing this thread