Coventry City Transfer Disappointments (1 Viewer)

COV

Eoin Jess' transfer stands out for similar reasons. We managed to devalue him by 100k a month during his brief time with us!

Strachan said in Rick Gekoski's book that Jess was the best player at the club by far on the training pitch, but didn't have the mentality to cut it on the pitch

COV

You've got to go with the triple whammy in Summer 2000- Keane, McAllister & Whelan- it was obvious what was coming when they all left at pretty much the same time

Frostie

You've got to go with the triple whammy in Summer 2000- Keane, McAllister & Whelan- it was obvious what was coming when they all left at pretty much the same time

We then repeated the feat 11 years later to get relegated from the Championship too:
King, Gunnarsson & Westwood all left on frees, Turner for a relatively modest fee & then, just to make sure, Jutkiewicz followed them in January.
Just awful management.

JulianDarbyFTW

Peter Atherton was the first disappointment I had. Not really sure why in hindsight, but I really liked him. I also really liked Andy Pearce. I was a big fan of centre halves as a kid, for some reason.

More modern-day, Leon Clarke leaving pissed me off. I knew he was a mercenary type, and at least we replaced him well with McGoldrick, but it really stung at the time.

SlowerThanPlatt

Peter Atherton was the first disappointment I had. Not really sure why in hindsight, but I really liked him. I also really liked Andy Pearce. I was a big fan of centre halves as a kid, for some reason.

More modern-day, Leon Clarke leaving pissed me off. I knew he was a mercenary type, and at least we replaced him well with McGoldrick, but it really stung at the time.

McGoldrick was the season before Clarke I thought?

NortonSkyBlue

Dennis Mortimer was a painful transfer as he was one of our own and a great player, some transfers out were and are easy to understand with our perilous financial situation through the years but some leave you shaking your head. Pearce was another who should have been handcuffed for a couple more years. Am I correct in thinking that Greg Downes was his replacement?

harvey098

McSheffrey the first time whacked me (I was about 14 at the time, so at the idolising age). Davenport, similar. Tabb.

In more recent years, Maddison as I just felt he was a rare, rare talent which we never got the full fruits of - sold too soon.

I was a bit too young to fully appreciate Keane but if you gave me a veto on any transfer, it probably would be that.

COV

McSheffrey the first time whacked me (I was about 14 at the time, so at the idolising age). Davenport, similar. Tabb.

In more recent years, Maddison as I just felt he was a rare, rare talent which we never got the full fruits of - sold too soon.

I was a bit too young to fully appreciate Keane but if you gave me a veto on any transfer, it probably would be that.

Veto any one transfer and it’s Dublin for me- when he left it affected the whole club, we could have built theteam around him for another 5 years, his impact on everything was massive.

DazzleTommyDazzle

I was in the back of my parents' car heading to spend Xmas at my Uncle's, when I heard that Dennis Mortimer had been sold to Villa. I cried. It ruined Christmas (even though John Craven replaced him in the Boxing Day game away to Wolves and scored the only goal).

slowpoke

There’s loads Dennis Mortimer best player to come out of our youth team and Stuart Pearce absolutely conned by Brian Clough paying pennies for a player going on to win over 80 England caps

wingy

We then repeated the feat 11 years later to get relegated from the Championship too:
King, Gunnarsson & Westwood all left on frees, Turner for a relatively modest fee & then, just to make sure, Jutkiewicz followed them in January.
Just awful management.
Awful boardroom more like.

Hertsccfc

Robbie Keane was the worst one for me, and replacing him with Bellamy didn't help.

Dublin next, and Terry Gibson. Then McAllister, Regis and Hutchison, all of whom we got rid of too early.

Terry Gibson's perm

Obviously one for me stands out and to get a crocked Brazil as part of the deal didn’t help.

Last edited:

steve101

Peter Atherton was one of my favourites at the time

Legia Sky Blue

Was really upset when Tommy Hutchison & Bobby McDonald left for Man City. As a kid I idolised both, and in retrospect if we had kept them their added experience might have proven the difference in getting us past West Ham in the 80/81 League Cup semi final. Of course both made it to the FA Cup Final themselves later in the season so was a decent move for both players, if not necessarily for us.

Bad Boy

Terry Bly and George Hudson in the 60s.

More recently Robbie Keane, together with McAllister Hadji Chippo Whelan Aloisi staying around a bit longer who knows what we might have achieved? Certainly not relegation the year after thats for sure.

COV

One of the worst times was 02/03 when literally every day you were waking up to read who was leaving next- Carsley, Thompson, Hughes etc (that was a loss at the time), and we ended up with David Pipe, Lee Fowler, Robert Betts, Scott Shearer and the like, and I think we won one game after Xmas. So not a single transfer but a prolonged period where the whole team was dismantled and destroyed

The Great Eastern

For me it’s rarely been the specific player but normally the timing of the deal.

It’s the times when you can see the team coming together snd just needs 1or 2 more to really kick on, and then we sell and go backwards or stagnate.

it’s the times we have sold players cheaply on deadline day with no real ability to then use the money.

Overall I have to say for me it’s actually knowing that very little of the money will go back into the team.

I remember being gutted when we sold Keane but then excited that we would at least use the money to strengthen the overall team. ( we didn’t always spend it wisely )

now selling is part of our business model. Therefore it means survival but it doesn’t lead to the excited feeling of future investment in the playing squad.
The club didnt make anything out of the Keane deal. The profit was around 7 million but that ended up in the pocket of the individual who loaned us the original 6 mill purchase money.

slowpoke

I remember being in Lanzarote in a bar watching skysports news and seeing Keane walking through Milan airport.
Totally pissed off!!
A taxi colleague of mine took Robbie Keane from the the Hilton to Birmingham airport bit of a petrol head not a footie fan at all would hardly know what colour we played in he rang me and told me this Coventry footballer was joining an Italian club, no idea who the club or player was found out it was Keano couple of days before it became public news, gutted. If I’d had that fare I’d have made sure he missed the flight 😠

COV

A taxi colleague of mine took Robbie Keane from the the Hilton to Birmingham airport bit of a petrol head not a footie fan at all would hardly know what colour we played in he rang me and told me this Coventry footballer was joining an Italian club, no idea who the club or player was found out it was Keano couple of days before it became public news, gutted. If I’d had that fare I’d have made sure he missed the flight 😠

Rumour had it that Keane got into a bit of bother with the infamous Barrington Patterson while he was here

Users who are viewing this thread