Match Thread Coventry City at Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 7th Apr (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Apparently Baker didn’t play yet again in the behind closed doors U23 match which means I would opt for a 4-3-3

O’Brien

Grimmer
McDonald
Davies
Stokes

Shipley
Doyle
Bayliss

Clarke Harris
McNulty
Biamou

2-1 defeat

Unless he’s trying to mislead he pretty much ruled out that formation

If Kelly is fit I’d guess he’s going to play him and Doyle in the middle and bayliss wise right and Shipley wide left and Davis in for hyam

johnwillomagic

Hmm at a bit of a loss as to how much to change and how much to keep was it just a bad day at the office, they had been on a good run but I also think head have to roll a little for performance - I think I would go 4-4-2 and if Kelly is back fit get him into the centre to make us more robust I would rest Bayliss too or bring on as impact stuff and be tempted to start Max or McNulty right mid or even get them switiching position. I would go 4-4-2.

Team
O'Brien GK
Grimmer RB (Just)
Davies CB
MacDonald CB (Just lucky boy after recent showings)
Stokes LB (Bit more solid at back for midfield)
Reid LM (One more chance on the counter)
Doyle CM (Legs rested back to normal self)
Kelly CM (Need a storng centre for this one)
McNulty RM (Think he will suit the role and could interchange with Max)
Biamou ST (Interchange with McNulty deserves a start on recent showings)
JCH ST (Still looks class above need him to turn in a good performance)

Subs: Burge, Hyam, Haynes, Shipley, Bayliss, Vincenti, Ponticelli

vow

Bounce-back 2-1 win to City.

Paxman II

If you change too much then it will play on the players minds that they are no longer good enough when they are the ones off the back of a 7 game unbeaten run? No things always go off kilter when you bring players in and drop others. maybe the odd one yes but more than that and the team changes too much and the understanding they have built channges and inevitably results will change. That's what happened. Reid was fine as an impact sub but not very effective from the start.
I would keep it the same and let Biamou be chomping at the bit over on the bench reminding JH and MacNuts they are under threat.
If changes are made then a fit again Davies back as opposed to replacing Hyam may be the obvious one. Bring Shipley back in, whatever was working before. Tampering gets you nowhere and sends a bad message that the manager has lost faith. Yeovil has to be seen as a one off and buried in the annuals of CCFC.
Back to business and a hard fought grafting win at County and everyone's optimistic again.

Think we will get it 1-0 or maybe add a second late on.

Otis

If you change too much then it will play on the players minds that they are no longer good enough when they are the ones off the back of a 7 game unbeaten run? No things always go off kilter when you bring players in and drop others. maybe the odd one yes but more than that and the team changes too much and the understanding they have built channges and inevitably results will change. That's what happened. Reid was fine as an impact sub but not very effective from the start.
I would keep it the same and let Biamou be chomping at the bit over on the bench reminding JH and MacNuts they are under threat.
If changes are made then a fit again Davies back as opposed to replacing Hyam may be the obvious one. Bring Shipley back in, whatever was working before. Tampering gets you nowhere and sends a bad message that the manager has lost faith. Yeovil has to be seen as a one off and buried in the annuals of CCFC.
Back to business and a hard fought grafting win at County and everyone's optimistic again.

Think we will get it 1-0 or maybe add a second late on.
I'd like to believe you, Pax, but the other day didn't you predict us to beat Yeovil 4-0?

chiefdave

If we don't see a reaction from the players we never will. Robins shouldn't need to say a word to get them fired up for this.

Otis

If we don't see a reaction from the players we never will. Robins shouldn't need to say a word to get them fired up for this.
We will see a reaction. We can have a reaction and still lose though.

I'm sure it will be all heart and desire and they will give it a real go and the fans will at least appreciate that.

skyblueeyesrevisited

The system wasn’t the issue against Yeovil it was individual mistakes. I would keep the same system and start Biamou on the right in place of Vincenti.

Paxman II

I'd like to believe you, Pax, but the other day didn't you predict us to beat Yeovil 4-0?

I did and we should have!

Truth is any wholesale changes now with 6 games left I think is the wrong message and could back fire dramatically. These players have largely played together all season and know each others game, and have put us in contention for promotion. Show them you have the same belief in them to get the job done (face it we don't have many options) and dismiss the Yeovil debacle as just that, a one off moment of madness during a long hard season unlikely to ever be repeated and move on with intent.
I'm hoping it will actually galvanize the players to show us their better side and want to get promoted. TBH careers can go one of two ways for some. Promotion can improve the likes of McNulty's career or consign it to league 2. They all have reason to perform well, for us, the club and their own prospects. Now is the time to earn a new contract.

stevefloyd

Anyone know of any cheapish trains to Nottingham? Am Stratford based so trains are always a nightmare. Should be able to get a lift to most places in Warwickshire but don’t really know what line everywhere is on etc. Muchas gracias in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you catch one from Cov they start at £27...if you catch one from Nuneaton £20 and £32 from Rugby £28 from Stratford

Last edited:

steve82

Tom Davies has to come back in for Hyam for this game. He’s a young lad who’s done excellent till Yeovil so I’d place him on the bench for Davies who’s more suited to the threat of Stead or Ameobi if both are fit currently.

I’m still unsure on my front pair, JCH has lost his way a little but can be such a important player when he’s switched on. I’m more swayed to a Biamou McNulty combo at this point.

Wholesale changes are not quite necessary but a few are for a important clash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Otis

Tom Davies has to come back in for Hyam for this game. He’s a young lad who’s done excellent till Yeovil so I’d place him on the bench for Davies who’s more suited to the threat of Stead or Ameobi if both are fit currently.

I’m still unsure on my front pair, JCH has lost his way a little but can be such a important player when he’s switched on. I’m more swayed to a Biamou McNulty combo at this point.

Wholesale changes are not quite necessary but a few are for a important clash

I, like many others, have suggested leaving JCH and McNumpty right where they are and simply drop Vincenti for Biamou. Biamou has great energy levels and is pretty quick too. Will give us more threat up front.

steve82

I, like many others, have suggested leaving JCH and McNumpty right where they are and simply drop Vincenti for Biamou. Biamou has great energy levels and is pretty quick too. Will give us more threat up front.

Can see your line of thought but would leave grimmer exposed and ultimately restrict him I feel. Not so sure it would work.

Not convinced, JCH has disappointed me a little of late but slip him in the right areas he’s a threat. I don’t feel we’re entirely playing to his strengths but it don’t excuse him slipping out of phases of games in his application.

Him coming in tho has had a great affect for taking the pressure of Biamou. Looks reenergised since his break which he desperately needed.

Otis

Can see your line of thought but would leave grimmer exposed and ultimately restrict him I feel. Not so sure it would work.

Not convinced, JCH has disappointed me a little of late but slip him in the right areas he’s a threat. I don’t feel we’re entirely playing to his strengths but it don’t excuse him slipping out of phases of games in his application.

Him coming in tho has had a great affect for taking the pressure of Biamou. Looks reenergised since his break which he desperately needed.
Vincenti is so inconsistent and there have been a few games where he has been so poor he has offered practically no protection to Grimmer at all.

I think Biamou is disciplined enough to be able to offer support to Grimmer.

steve82

Vincenti is so inconsistent and there have been a few games where he has been so poor he has offered practically no protection to Grimmer at all.

I think Biamou is disciplined enough to be able to offer support to Grimmer.

Right midfield has been a issue for sure since JJ got injured, we’ve. We’ve not been able to fix that by different means by trying to put Bayliss there nullified his attacking drive. Vincenti has been more miss than a hit too as the most positive of us would admit.

To me it would nullify Maxime too, he’s better suited in a central role as opposed to out wide.

To fix the right sided problem I’ve no answer currently only rotate Shipley and Reid but even that unbalances us.

I’m guessing MR is scratching his head too feeding Baker Lemsip and Ibuprofen daily to get him fit!

To accommodate both JCH, McNulty and JCH you could try 3412 formation but we’d need Willis back fit and use grimmer in a a advanced right mid role. Something like...
-------------O’Brien-------------
----Willis--Davies--Mcdonald---
-Grimmer--Bayliss--Doyle--Reid-
-------------Biamou-------------
---------McNulty--JCH----------

But I’d not be comfortable trying it at this stage of the season. I’d see out the 442 somehow.

Otis

Right midfield has been a issue for sure since JJ got injured, we’ve. We’ve not been able to fix that by different means by trying to put Bayliss there nullified his attacking drive. Vincenti has been more miss than a hit too as the most positive of us would admit.

To me it would nullify Maxime too, he’s better suited in a central role as opposed to out wide.

To fix the right sided problem I’ve no answer currently only rotate Shipley and Reid but even that unbalances us.

I’m guessing MR is scratching his head too feeding Baker Lemsip and Ibuprofen daily to get him fit!

To accommodate both JCH, McNulty and JCH you could try 3412 formation but we’d need Willis back fit and use grimmer in a a advanced right mid role. Something like...
-------------O’Brien-------------
----Willis--Davies--Mcdonald---
-Grimmer--Bayliss--Doyle--Reid-
-------------Biamou-------------
---------McNulty--JCH----------

But I’d not be comfortable trying it at this stage of the season. I’d see out the 442 somehow.

Well the obvious answer would be Baker if he was bloody fit!!

Guessing that is exactly where Robins saw him. We already know Vincenti needs surgery in the summer. Bayliss out wide nullifies the threat he offers, as you rightly pointed out and Dev Kelly-Evans has proved to be far from a success.

So, it's one of:

Pushing Bayliss back out wide (but where is Kelly? Not even in the squad these past two games, so we assume injured)

Shipley/Reid playing on the wrong side

Sticking with Vincenti

Or putting DKE back in (he was injured though in that friendly game)

Or deploying Barrett.

Nowt else is there?

Mucca Mad Boys

Bear in mind, we’re playing away to Notts County... playing 4-3-3 might not be the best idea. Or playing Biamou on the wing for that matter, he’s just not a wide player at all.

A narrowish 4-3-3 against Crawley or Stevenage, but not away to the team with the least amount of losses. Also, if we’re chasing a game, who can come on to make an impact? Beavon? Vincenti? Ponticelli? Probably not...

Otis

Bear in mind, we’re playing away to Notts County... playing 4-3-3 might not be the best idea. Or playing Biamou on the wing for that matter, he’s just not a wide player at all.

A narrowish 4-3-3 against Crawley or Stevenage, but not away to the team with the least amount of losses. Also, if we’re chasing a game, who can come on to make an impact? Beavon? Vincenti? Ponticelli? Probably not...
Yep, but this is just based on Vincenti playing so poorly on Monday and not wanting Bayliss pushed out wide again. And where's Kelly? Not even in the squad for the last two matches. If he's not fit we can't push Bayliss out wide surely.

Only other option is Shipley left and Reid right. Steve mentioned Biamou not being able to give adeqate support to Grimmer, but surely Reid can't really either.

If Kelly is injured, Bayliss has to stay in the middle. If Bayliss stays in the middle, who is going to play wide right?

steve82

I’m not sure what’s up with Kelly. Nothings been reported has it?

I’m stuck for a solution myself and lot depends on the availability of Kelly I suppose as you’d not favour Vincenti starting this one.

Your right on Reid tho, he left Haynes exposed at times but take him away you’ve no pace as such and the little fella with the pineapple for Yeovil proved what damage pace can do and how we miss JJ running at players

johnwillomagic

I think McNulty or Biamou could both play wide right and be more effective than anyone who has played out there to date.

I personally would stick McNulty wide right he drifted out there anyway quite a bit and give Biamou and JCH first crack up top,

shmmeee

Really got to win this one to avoid getting adrift at a critical time.

2-0 loss.

Otis

This is such a massive game and though it may well be a bit of a cliché, our season could be defined upon it.

Draw is fine. Win would be fantastic and get us right back on track and a further defeat will surely have us out of the playofff places and could scupper our campaign.

This game is so important to our belief and confidence.

Biggest game of the season. They are all big games now until the end of the campaign of course, but everything could turn upon how we perform tomorrow.

We need that belief back and another unbeaten run.

Johhny Blue

This is such a massive game and though it may well be a bit of a cliché, our season could be defined upon it.

Draw is fine. Win would be fantastic and get us right back on track and a further defeat will surely have us out of the playofff places and could scupper our campaign.

Biggest game of the season. They are all big games now until the end of the campaign of course, but everything could turn upon how we perform tomorrow.

Win L.(Can't type it) or draw. The important thing is the attitude after you know what

SkyBlueSoul

I think there's a lot more at stake than that. My Barca supporting housemate has a friendly interest in us to the point where he asked to come and watch us one day.

Well, tomorrow all his dreams come true! I'm hoping a win will see him drop all that La Liga/Champions League nonsense, realise you can indeed have too much of a good thing and become a Sky Blue for life :emoji_fingers_crossed: I won't hold my breath...

JulianDarbyFTW

Narrow defeat, resulting in a drop out of the play-off places, resulting in a phone-in where people call for Robins head or ask Clive his opinions on car parking, resulting in posts on here calling Burge / Haynes / Hyam / McNulty / JCH shit, resulting in people running a poll asking if Robins should be sacked.

Or maybe a draw.

Reactions: vow

Johhny Blue

I think there's a lot more at stake than that. My Barca supporting housemate has a friendly interest in us to the point where he asked to come and watch us one day.

Well, tomorrow all his dreams come true! I'm hoping a win will see him drop all that La Liga/Champions League nonsense, realise you can indeed have too much of a good thing and become a Sky Blue for life :emoji_fingers_crossed: I won't hold my breath...
He'll never go back to Barca

lifeskyblue

A 1-1 draw tomorrow with mcnulty scoring early. Hold on till late then a calamitous mixup between keeper and Mac Donald.
Overall city play ok. Looking forward to the game to put last Monday’s horror show out of my mind

Otis

Narrow defeat, resulting in a drop out of the play-off places, resulting in a phone-in where people call for Robins head or ask Clive his opinions on car parking, resulting in posts on here calling Burge / Haynes / Hyam / McNulty / JCH shit, resulting in people running a poll asking if Robins should be sacked.

Or maybe a draw.
And Geoff Foster's post match interview will include the question 'Now that you are out of the play off places, will this change your dinner plans for this evening and will you wear a different training top at Ryton on Monday?'

Users who are viewing this thread