Match Thread Coventry City at Mansfield Town Match Thread - Saturday 24th Feb (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueCRJ

I think Reid on the left and then JCH and McNulty in sort of free roles would be pretty dangerous.

Agreed. McNulty was put on the wing for a few games earlier in the season if I remember rightly, and he didn't take to it at all. Give him space to work his magic and it will pay dividends. I can't see JCH having a free role (in this system) as he'll need to do a job staying centrally whilst getting on the end of crosses / long balls.

stevefloyd

The only problem I have with Bayliss is he does a brilliant run and sometimes his pass is way off the target but love the guy too hopefully we play well again and get a positive result I will be tuning in at 10pm tomorrow...Everyone travelling be safe and keep out of trouble PUSB

Nick

Administrator
Looks like the ref is MICHAEL SALISBURY who we had against colchester at home, he sent one of theirs off.

Same again :)

fernandopartridge

Agreed. McNulty was put on the wing for a few games earlier in the season if I remember rightly, and he didn't take to it at all. Give him space to work his magic and it will pay dividends. I can't see JCH having a free role (in this system) as he'll need to do a job staying centrally whilst getting on the end of crosses / long balls.

JCH might work behind McNulty, looks tidy on the ball and seems to have that ability to turn and run at defenders.

Nick

Administrator
JCH might work behind McNulty, looks tidy on the ball and seems to have that ability to turn and run at defenders.

Wouldn't be too bad trying that, would like to see us trying to get the ball to his feet through or in the channels.

I think it was Colchester when he came on he did like the shoulder barge when trying to get it in that position one on one with the defender.

SkyBlueCRJ

Like Nick said, it certainly could be something to try. His movement on the ball was something that caught the eye last Saturday. With his strength it would be interesting to see more of his ability with the ball at his feet rather than his ability in the air...

Johhny Blue

I think he will have JCH pushed up on the shoulders of the defenders and use Mcnulty in a free role just in front of midfield to go either left or right dependant upon the play. He will fill the hole
We could counter that by playing DKE on Vincenti's shoulders and try to score from corners

Great_Expectations

He biggest issue with a 4-2-3-1 is the same one we’ve had all season - a lack of wingers. Earlier in the season we had Jones, an actual winger, on one, and then one of Vincenti/DKE/McNulty etc on the other. Tomorrow, once again, we only have one available, this time it’s Reid.

The second issue is fitting both McNulty and JCH into that formation.

I think he has to go for it, it’s a massive game:

Burge
Grimmer Willis McDonald Haynes

JMD Doyle Bayliss Reid

McNulty JCH

The two unknowns are the wingers, but at least they are actually wingers so will at least offer width and look to get the ball into the box.

The potential weakness is Haynes, but in the spirit of attacking, I’d give him another go. He didn’t disgrace himself against Brighton and was left massively exposed all game. We all know he isn’t the best defender, but, as much as I’m a fan of Stokes, he’s gone off the boil the last few games.

Esoterica

Kelly did the pre match interview. Don't think there's been someone do that who hasn't then started the match yet this season?

clint van damme

He biggest issue with a 4-2-3-1 is the same one we’ve had all season - a lack of wingers. Earlier in the season we had Jones, an actual winger, on one, and then one of Vincenti/DKE/McNulty etc on the other. Tomorrow, once again, we only have one available, this time it’s Reid.

The second issue is fitting both McNulty and JCH into that formation.

I think he has to go for it, it’s a massive game:

Burge
Grimmer Willis McDonald Haynes

JMD Doyle Bayliss Reid

McNulty JCH

The two unknowns are the wingers, but at least they are actually wingers so will at least offer width and look to get the ball into the box.

The potential weakness is Haynes, but in the spirit of attacking, I’d give him another go. He didn’t disgrace himself against Brighton and was left massively exposed all game. We all know he isn’t the best defender, but, as much as I’m a fan of Stokes, he’s gone off the boil the last few games.

You make some good points but JMD should be nowhere near the first team. He obviously has ability but he's not ready to be playing grown ups football.

Ricketts

I hope JCH has learnt the offside rule. Its been a while since we've had so many offsides that we did at Brighton..reminded me of the Huckerby days. (Other often offside strikers are available)

I'm hoping it was either his eagerness or a dodgy official. Couldnt tell from our goal end view.

lifeskyblue

My problem with both jmd and Reid is they are not the best at tracking back. We need to win so using wingers a bonus but our full backs might get terribly exposed. Kelly and Doyle will probably be used to try and negate that a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

I’d have Biamou front and centre for the long balls with McWankty and JCH playing off them. Then Kelly and Doyle and long ball football shouldn’t be a problem. Ponticelli could then come in with service and be a threat.

Johnnythespider

Don't know why but I think we will win, Clarke Harris looks too good for this league to me and I'm expecting him to knock a few in between now and seasons end, that coupled with McNulty will bring us victory.
P.S I realise I said I don't know why but then explained why we will

lifeskyblue

Don't know why but I think we will win, Clarke Harris looks too good for this league to me and I'm expecting him to knock a few in between now and seasons end, that coupled with McNulty will bring us victory.
P.S I realise I said I don't know why but then explained why we will

It will be a massive result if we do manage a win. I agree JCH looked good last 30 v Brighton but I hadn’t been especially impressed with his cameos before that. Hopefully the more game time he gets the better he will become.

Johnnythespider

It will be a massive result if we do manage a win. I agree JCH looked good last 30 v Brighton but I hadn’t been especially impressed with his cameos before that. Hopefully the more game time he gets the better he will become.

I think he's just been getting his match fitness/sharpness up, could have had a hat-trick at Brighton.

Otis

Maybe not football related although I did kick a stone but it's 37 degrees here today
But surely you knew that when you took that job in that Chinese restaurant kitchen.

The pots don't wash themselves. Well, Pol might have done, but I'm not sure on the rest of the family. Definitely a stinky vibe going on there somewhere.

rob9872

I quite like the idea of trying Jordan Shipley at left back behind Reid ?
I feel safer with Haynes further up but to cover some defensive responsibilities too, so like the idea of Shipley at LB but behind Haynes who is ok attacking (the Sky Blue Bale lol)

Nick

Administrator
Shipley played really well at Left Back before, he is quite good defensively.

Quite looking forward to the game, a bit nervous though :(

Users who are viewing this thread