Match Thread Coventry City at Mansfield Town Match Thread - Saturday 24th Feb (2 Viewers)

coop

Robins unfortunately has forgotten how to play attacking football he will set the team up with four across the back and two defensive midfielders which will be Kelly and Doyle if fit.

Otis

Robins unfortunately has forgotten how to play attacking football he will set the team up with four across the back and two defensive midfielders which will be Kelly and Doyle if fit.
In his first spell he used to play 4-5-1 a lot didn't he? Or at least a variation on it.

Don't remember him playing 4-4-2 too often.

coop

In his first spell he used to play 4-5-1 a lot didn't he? Or at least a variation on it.

Don't remember him playing 4-4-2 too often.
He played some great football first time round if my memory is correct we had David Mcgoaldrought as he was first called by our fans but he banged the goals in.

wingy

He played some great football first time round if my memory is correct we had David Mcgoaldrought as he was first called by our fans but he banged the goals in.
And dragging oppo players all over the pitch.
Did Moussa and Baker show much form back then?

Marty

3-0 to them, must win game so we'll be up to our old tricks, the bunch of bottlers.

coop

I'm sure they did but my memory is not great.I'm sure MR left not long after Mcdgolrick went back as we couldn't afford to keep him.

Tommo72

There are still tickets left? Amazed tbh can only imagine people must think it’s sold out..

pusbccfc

There are still tickets left? Amazed tbh can only imagine people must think it’s sold out..

Or people have given up.

CV22SBA

Or people have given up.
I'm only going to tick it off the list and imagine thats why we've sold 1400+ as others doing the same.
Look at Wycombe next week only 300 sold and its not far, we took more than that to the checkatrade game their last season. If things don't pick up quickly attendances will drop especially at grounds we've visited before.

fernandopartridge

Yes, he got Baker (who had previously been rubbish) playing some good stuff. He signed Moussa and got him fit and firing too. He played 4-5-1

The comments about two sitting midfielders are off the mark, that may work a bit better for us going away to one of the better sides in the division (it worked at Luton and Lincoln).

Nick

Administrator
Yes, he got Baker (who had previously been rubbish) playing some good stuff. He signed Moussa and got him fit and firing too. He played 4-5-1

The comments about two sitting midfielders are off the mark, that may work a bit better for us going away to one of the better sides in the division (it worked at Luton and Lincoln).

The thing with Lincoln and Luton is that we had Jones who would do the job of carrying the ball forward and putting the ball in.

If we have both Doyle and Kelly sitting now, we have nothing to link the midfield with strikers.

fernandopartridge

The thing with Lincoln and Luton is that we had Jones who would do the job of carrying the ball forward and putting the ball in.

If we have both Doyle and Kelly sitting now, we have nothing to link the midfield with strikers.

Or we might have nothing to actually win the ball back from the opposition.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I'm only going to tick it off the list and imagine thats why we've sold 1400+ as others doing the same.
Look at Wycombe next week only 300 sold and its not far, we took more than that to the checkatrade game their last season. If things don't pick up quickly attendances will drop especially at grounds we've visited before.
Sounds bad but basically the same reason I'm going. Don't see us getting anything out the game although I would love more than anything to be wrong... Having said that I'm going to Wycombe as well so not sure what I'm doing :facepalm:

Otis

Exactly. We only had Jones then as our main creative spark (with a little bit of Nazon) and now we have Bayliss to deliver the creativity with his forward runs with the ball, something neither Kelly or Doyle do.

We miss Jones for sure and I don't think we can just look back at games where Doyle and Kelly worked as a pairing when we also had Jones in there too.

Nick

Administrator
Or we might have nothing to actually win the ball back from the opposition.

It depends how they try to play, if I remember for most of it they went through Hemmings, but Rose was actually quite good in the air for somebody his size. Even if he was a diving little rat.

Think it also depends who he plays out wide, if he plays Shipley he doesn't have that about him but if he plays Reid it might bring a bit more drive going forward.

Covstu

giphy.gif

Besides McNulty, I would say Bayliss is our best player and the one player with any creativity in the middle of the park.

For me he has to be one of the first names on the team sheet. Otherwise without him that strikes of negativity.
I would agree, put Bayliss n the centre with Doyle and if we need to protect a lead in the last 20 switch with Kelly to close the game up.

Otis

I would agree, put Bayliss n the centre with Doyle and if we need to protect a lead in the last 20 switch with Kelly to close the game up.
Yep. Exactly the way I think we should play it.

It doesn't matter what worked earlier in the season, it's what is or isn't working now that counts and as Nick says, when we use this defensive set up and then go a goal down we just carry on with the same set up until much later on in the game, before then starting to chase.

Best two players for us at the moment has to be McNulty and Bayliss. I think we need to play both and also both in their correct positions.

Bayliss is better in the middle and Kelly hasn't shown anything like his earlier season form since his return.

If Doyle is fit then it should be Doyle and Bayliss and if Doyle isn't, then it should be Kelly and Bayliss.

Grendel

I'm sure they did but my memory is not great.I'm sure MR left not long after Mcdgolrick went back as we couldn't afford to keep him.

Forest returned him as they found Ipswich were prepared pay £10,000 a week. We didn’t miss him anyway

JulianDarbyFTW

I think we'd be playing 451 now if Andreu hadn't been injured. There's no other proper attacking midfielder in the squad, and that is a damn shame. We can all see the issue - midfielders too deep, and the two strikers often too far away from each other.

runner

If Doyle's in ... maybe a close win ... a good chance of a draw ... without him we have no back bone and hence fear a loss ...

standupforcity

I think we'd be playing 451 now if Andreu hadn't been injured. There's no other proper attacking midfielder in the squad, and that is a damn shame. We can all see the issue - midfielders too deep, and the two strikers often too far away from each other.
Which is why we need Reid playing on Sat, to create that link and get those crosses in to our target men...

SkyBlueCRJ

If Robins starts Barrett yet again it's safe to say he's truly lost the plot. Previous posts have gone for a 4-3-3. I'd probably agree with this. Would like to see Reid, JCH and McNulty up top as it gives us a potent attacking threat, although whether it will be enough to be a thorn in Mansfield's side remains to be seen...

Nick

Administrator
After this:

We’ve got to go and try to win. We have to approach every game in that way. We have a duty to ourselves, the support and the club

I am interested to see how we setup.

Nick

Administrator
If Robins starts Barrett yet again it's safe to say he's truly lost the plot. Previous posts have gone for a 4-3-3. I'd probably agree with this. Would like to see Reid, JCH and McNulty up top as it gives us a potent attacking threat, although whether it will be enough to be a thorn in Mansfield's side remains to be seen...

I think Reid on the left and then JCH and McNulty in sort of free roles would be pretty dangerous.

Warwickhunt

Got to watch the fat bastard Evans as he will get his players to wind up JCH so as to get him to react and get sent off

Warwickhunt

I think he will have JCH pushed up on the shoulders of the defenders and use Mcnulty in a free role just in front of midfield to go either left or right dependant upon the play. He will fill the hole

Users who are viewing this thread