Match Thread Coventry City at Forest Green Rovers Match Thread - Saturday 3rd Feb (1 Viewer)

Old Warwickshire lad

Surely that’s a bit OTT?

The club should advise for Brighton which blocks (preferably to the side) should be picked for fans that want to avoid the bottles and flares. The rest can then be a free for all the morons.
WTF if they want to throw bottles and flares, chuck them out and ban them for life. Have them report to a police station on Saturday afternoons at 3 pm as well

Nick

Administrator
It's pretty nails giving it the biggun at Milton Keynes or some village in the Cotswolds. Then it's best running shoes on anywhere else

I still giggle about when we played Millwall at the Ricoh and there were about 25-30 city fans round in the car park giving it loads. An old boy got off their coach and walked over and they were gone like a shot.

Nick

Administrator
Was anybody stood by the guy who was calling the players by name and trying to coach them?

"Oi Willis, tell them all to up their game"
"Oi Stokes, tell them to sort their fucking heads out"

Most of the way through.

Otis

Was anybody stood by the guy who was calling the players by name and trying to coach them?

"Oi Willis, tell them all to up their game"
"Oi Stokes, tell them to sort their fucking heads out"

Most of the way through.
That Oggy's a bit of a card isn't he.

Liquid Gold

I don't know how managers analyse the game from that close to the pitch, I'm used to being much further up and didn't have a clue what was happening half the time.

Esoterica

I don't know how managers analyse the game from that close to the pitch, I'm used to being much further up and didn't have a clue what was happening half the time.
You do adjust to the dugout perspective but I'm amazed there haven't been more managers who prefer to watch from the stand with a motivator and a receiver of instructions in the dug out. It always makes me laugh when managers get sent to the stand, like it's some kind of great punishment.

Brighton Sky Blue

FGR are decent team, they won’t get relegated, Dioge still looked a handful up front.

Their defence looked well organised today.

Hopefully they take a lot of points of our play off rivals.

In this league anyone can literally beat anyone.

Yes except they lose to everyone else around us as evidently they aren't that good. Just seems to be we are good at boosting their confidence.

Esoterica

FGR are decent team, they won’t get relegated, Dioge still looked a handful up front.

Their defence looked well organised today.

Hopefully they take a lot of points of our play off rivals.

In this league anyone can literally beat anyone.
Luton aside, whose results are fairly average, our playoff/autos rivals have fantastic records against the bottom 6. Anyone literally beating anyone is a pretty rare occurrence:
upload_2018-2-7_15-8-48.png

thekidfromstrettoncamp

If those figures continue Esotercia Accrington will get 12 points from their remaining 4 games and we will get 4 from our 3 another 8 points ahead of us and if thy win Saturday we would need a telescope to see them (16 points)

Londonccfcfan

Hows it a rare occurance?
I
Luton and Coventry have lost a third and more than a third of their games vs bottom 6 that they have played.

Luton lost 33% vs botom 6
Coventry lose 44% vs bottom 6
Exeter lose 20% vs bottom 6

The other teams granted have lost and drawn the odd game.

Interesting, do you have the stats vs bottom 8, as generally teams like Port vale, morecambe, Yeovil, Crawley, Cheltenham etc Have all been in and out of bottom 6 and or bottom 8,

So it depends when you play Yeovil, morecambe, port vale etc.

Only Chesterfield and FGR who been in bottom 6 all season.

For example when we lost to Morecambe they were in bottom 6 but wernt in bottom 6 after the defeat.

Esoterica

Hows it a rare occurance?
I
Luton and Coventry have lost a third and more than a third of their games vs bottom 6 that they have played.

Luton lost 33% vs botom 6
Coventry lose 44% vs bottom 6
Exeter lose 20% vs bottom 6

The other teams granted have lost and drawn the odd game.

Interesting, do you have the stats vs bottom 8, as generally teams like Port vale, morecambe, Yeovil, Crawley, Cheltenham etc Have all been in and out of bottom 6 and or bottom 8,

So it depends when you play Yeovil, morecambe, port vale etc.

Only Chesterfield and FGR who been in bottom 6 all season.

For example when we lost to Morecambe they were in bottom 6 but wernt in bottom 6 after the defeat.
Well the context was our rivals losing against lowly teams - they have lost 8 games in 67 picking up 2.4 point per game on average with a 76.12% win rate. I would consider that ratio a pretty low occurrence! 12% losses is 6 (5.52) defeats in a 46 game season. Hardly the lottery it was being made out to be!

Here's the same table updated for vs bottom 8 with another 19 more matches included. W10 D5 L4:
upload_2018-2-7_16-48-20.png
aganst the following opposition:

17 Grimsby
18 Yeovil Town
19 Port Vale
20 Morecambe
21 Crewe Alexandra
22 Forest Green
23 Chesterfield
24 Barnet

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

So In a nutshell 14% of the time the top 8 will lose to a team in bottom 8.

So in effect every week one of the top 8 will lose to bottom 8.
Lol that I doubt consider a rare occurance.

Londonccfcfan

Well the context was our rivals losing against lowly teams - they have lost 8 games in 67 picking up 2.4 point per game on average with a 76.12% win rate. I would consider that ratio a pretty low occurrence! 12% losses is 6 (5.52) defeats in a 46 game season. Hardly the lottery it was being made out to be!

Here's the same table updated for vs bottom 8 with another 19 more matches included. W10 D5 L4:
View attachment 9033
aganst the following opposition:

17 Grimsby
18 Yeovil Town
19 Port Vale
20 Morecambe
21 Crewe Alexandra
22 Forest Green
23 Chesterfield
24 Barnet

Ok statto.
Your figures stats are incorrect!? Mansfield they lost to a bottom 8 team Crawley 2-0 in December 9th????
How do your stats show they are unbeaten?

Esoterica

Ok statto.
Your figures stats are incorrect!? Mansfield they lost to a bottom 8 team Crawley 2-0 in December 9th????
How do your stats show they are unbeaten?
I've only got the stats vs the current positions in the table where Crawley have recovered to 12th, sorry! Otherwise 1st game of the season is irrelevant amd the next few have limited value as the table settles down and the top 8 have also changed over time e.g. Colchester. Has to be a static point in time top 8 vs bottom 8.

Londonccfcfan

I've only got the stats vs the current positions in the table where Crawley have recovered to 12th, sorry! Otherwise 1st game of the season is irrelevant amd the next few have limited value as the table settles down and the top 8 have also changed over time e.g. Colchester. Has to be a static point in time top 8 vs bottom 8.
Yes I understand first few not being considered. But a game on December 9th (Mansfields) only defeat in their last 15/16 games happened to come against a team in the bottom 6!

Oh it must be because Mansfield were 9th then ! when they lost to 6th from bottom Crawley on /December 9th.

Your stats are for only when teams in top 8 play those in bottom 8 I imagine.

So sorry just because Crawley recovered from 6th bottom to 12th now that means those stats don't count????

In that case if FGR recover out of bottom 6/8 (theres a very good chance of that) the two defeats from us will be scrubbed off?

Esoterica

Yes I understand first few not being considered. But a game on December 9th (Mansfields) only defeat in their last 15/16 games happened to come against a team in the bottom 6!

Oh it must be because Mansfield were 9th then ! when they lost to 6th from bottom Crawley on /December 9th.

Your stats are for only when teams in top 8 play those in bottom 8 I imagine.

So sorry just because Crawley recovered from 6th bottom to 12th now that means those stats don't count????

In that case if FGR recover out of bottom 6/8 (theres a very good chance of that) the two defeats from us will be scrubbed off?

There's no playing with the stats - those are the results for us and our rivals against the teams that are statistically the 8 worst teams over 30 games. Crawley's result against Mansfield is not included because Crawley then went on a run of 8 wins in 11 pulling themselves up to 12th, clearly not a bottom 8 team over the season to date. In the same way Colchester are not counted in the top 8 now because they happened to be there on 1st Jan.

You see a '1 win in 8' for the bottom 8 vs the top 8 as a sign that anyone can beat anyone but I really don't see it as significant - in the context of the play off places that means 6 out of the top 8 are picking up maximum points and the other getting a draw. When you multiple that by the 42 games that the top has left to play against the bottom 8 (which is a third of their total games left to play), 1 loss in 8 (or 5 defeats in 42) makes it very hard to claw back points on our rivals.

And If i told you we're going to only lose 2 of our remaining 16 games, the equivalent of less than 6 defeats for a 46 games season, you wouldn't consider those losses a rare occurrence? I'd kill for stats like that!

And that was my point, our rivals have not been dropping regular points against these bottom teams in a way that is likely to significantly influence the play offs race (like we have been) so there is a huge amount of pressure to a) fix our away form fast and b) continue the amazing run of home form we're on. And that in turn is why people are so down after Saturday, instead of putting a run together at this crucial time of the season, we took an actual backwards step. Rather than fixing our away form, Robins deliberately changed the one thing that improved our form while returning to the 2 DMs that has so badly failed us against the bottom 8 away. Now everyone is holding their breath to see if that lesson has been learned. If we don't beat Accrington and Bayliss hasn't played centrally, I'd recommend not logging in for a week or so :)

Hobo

This top bottom analysis is bollocks....it is points that matter. It doesn't matter whether you are fourth or eight at this stage of the season (or who you have got your points against) if you are 4 or 6 points off second...you are still in with a shout. Oh we haven't put a run together...good I want our run in the last 12 to 10 games!

Cov kid 55

That makes me cringe "xxxx's a shit hole, I wanna go home". Well go then you div
I hate it when they sing that, at Accrington, the locals were so friendly, nice little ground, they played far better than us, their support was excellent, and we have to sing that. Same at Grimsby. It’s not as if Cov is the most aesthetically pleasing place - which doesn’t stop us being proud of the place, of course.

Londonccfcfan

This top bottom analysis is bollocks....it is points that matter. It doesn't matter whether you are fourth or eight at this stage of the season (or who you have got your points against) if you are 4 or 6 points off second...you are still in with a shout. Oh we haven't put a run together...good I want our run in the last 12 to 10 games!
completely agree.
It is acomplete load of bollocks those stats!

stupot07

Got to disagree with you there. Its like saying the home form vs away form is bollocks as only the last 10-12 games matter.

What it shows is 2 trends, that identify that tactically and performance wise that we're struggling to find a formula to break struggling teams down and that that we're struggling to find a way of winning away from home. That will be tactical, selection, etc issues that need to be addressed and potentially the difference between finishing 8th or finishing 2nd. How can you go on a great run at the end of the season if you don't identify and rectify your deficiencies? Even robins has said that both our performances and results against bottom sides and away from home is a concern.

If we don't rectify them, or stumble on the winning formula, we will struggle to put a storming 10-12 game run in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

I hate it when they sing that, at Accrington, the locals were so friendly, nice little ground, they played far better than us, their support was excellent, and we have to sing that. Same at Grimsby. It’s not as if Cov is the most aesthetically pleasing place - which doesn’t stop us being proud of the place, of course.

LOL we sang it at Cambridge! and i was like looking around cringing!

No doubt some will even sing it at Brighton!

Londonccfcfan

Got to disagree with you there. Its like saying the home form vs away form is bollocks as only the last 10-12 games matter.

What it shows is 2 trends, that identify that tactically and performance wise that we're struggling to find a formula to break struggling teams down and that that we're struggling to find a way of winning away from home. That will be tactical, selection, etc issues that need to be addressed and potentially the difference between finishing 8th or finishing 2nd. How can you go on a great run at the end of the season if you don't identify and rectify your deficiencies? Even robins has said that both our performances and results against bottom sides and away from home is a concern.

No i agree our results against the lesser sides isn't good enough. but we have an equally very good results vs the top 8/10 teams.

LOL I'm more talking about those stats table that Esoterica put up... which fail to acknowledge that Mansfield lost to Crawley a bottom six/8 side (when they played them) in December when they were 2 points of the bottom 2!

Loll that's been Mansfields only defeat in last 15 games.

I tell you how ridiculus those stats tables are If FGR don't finish in bottom 8 at end of season even though they spent 98% of their time in bottom 6, IF they beat Cheltenham last game of the season and finish above them. then our two defeats vs the bottom 8 get scrubbed off! lol ridiculous.

Its like Port Vale were rock bottom 2/3 for first 4 months, then win 4/5 in a row. get out of bottom 8 , then pick up next to nothing in last 5 games and are firmly back in bottom 8!

So only the results against them count if they in bottom 8 at end of season.

What a load of bollocks. What is the definition of bottom 8 side. is it when you play them? is it the bottom at this moment in time? which is changaeable as i mentioned on weekly basis depending whos in bottom 8 that week. like i said so many clubs yo yo.

It wouldn't surprise me if Crawley lose the knack of Scoring injury time goals last 2 matches and finish in bottom 8!

My point remains, anyone can beat in anyone in this division in particular!

Hobo

If we don't rectify them, or stumble on the winning formula, we will struggle to put a storming 10-12 game run in.

No if you lose the first six games you can spend a whole season fretting about them, but if you win the last 10 and get promoted nobody cares who you won or lost against. Just stay in the frame at this stage. Managers and coaches aren't deliberately trying to cock promotion up, they know they need to try and improve away from and maintain home form.....but it is achievable.

Hobo

Stats are good at analysing the present and good at analysing the past. Where they fall down is predicting the future as they rely on things staying the same....and we know every team's form will change between now and the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread