Match Thread Coventry City at Colchester United Match Thread - Tuesday 13th Feb (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

In fairness I don't think there was a big call he could have made last night. OK, you could argue he ought to have brought Reid on much earlier, but that's about it as far as I can see. The bench presented a very limited set of options. And who knows, perhaps Reid isn't fully fit (which would beg the question why he was brought on in injury time). Perhaps he is putting his trust in his starting XI (minus the sub for JCH) to do the business over 90 minutes. Maybe he reckons showing faith in his starting XI to get the job done over 90 minutes will bear fruit. Maybe that IS the "big call".

Not that I agree with him, just trying to get into his mindset......
The big call needed to happen before the game. How did Robins expect a team containing 4 centre backs and 4 central midfielders to play last night? It needed a brave selection and he just went for solid and hard to beat again. With Willis going to RB, Shipley needed moving to left back so that we had an outlet from at least one fullback. In the same way Reid needed to start on the left if Vincenti was starting, to add some genuine width and creativity. Give JCH a start before his enthusiasm at re-signing has been completely eroded by 10 x15 minute sub appearances.
Then as the game progresses you've got options. Losing by a goal? Throw Biamou on to go long to. Winning by a goal and want to tighten up then shift Shipley central for Bayliss and bring on Stokes at LB. Winning comfortably? Give some match time to Ponti so McNulty gets a rest, let Barratt work on his match fitness for 30 minutes.
These negative tactics never allow for peripheral players to get some minutes in their legs here and there because we're never comfortable in games. They don't play for weeks and then get thrust into the starting line up - it's part of the reaosn we look so sluggish in the last few weeks.

Londonccfcfan

The big call needed to happen before the game. How did Robins expect a team containing 4 centre backs and 4 central midfielders to play last night? It needed a brave selection and he just went for solid and hard to beat again. With Willis going to RB, Shipley needed moving to left back so that we had an outlet from at least one fullback. In the same way Reid needed to start on the left if Vincenti was starting, to add some genuine width and creativity. Give JCH a start before his enthusiasm at re-signing has been completely eroded by 10 x15 minute sub appearances.
Then as the game progresses you've got options. Losing by a goal? Throw Biamou on to go long to. Winning by a goal and want to tighten up then shift Shipley central for Bayliss and bring on Stokes at LB. Winning comfortably? Give some match time to Ponti so McNulty gets a rest, let Barratt work on his match fitness for 30 minutes.
These negative tactics never allow for peripheral players to get some minutes in their legs here and there because we're never comfortable in games. They don't play for weeks and then get thrust into the starting line up - it's part of the reaosn we look so sluggish in the last few weeks.

What don't people get. We got unlucky deserved to win.on 2nd half performance.

Was a smash and grab no need to be overanalysis.

Can take positives from excellent 2nd half. Still can't work out how their keeper saved that certain goal from jch.

Nick

Administrator

Can take positives from excellent 2nd half. Still can't work out how their keeper saved that certain goal from jch.

We weren't unlucky.... We got schooled all of the first half, their manager saw them under pressure and changed it up.

The fact you are saying it was a smash and grab says it all. It was way too negative.

We shouldn't be relying on smash and grab against the run of play.

Esoterica

It's fine, you cling on to the one chance we've created in 3 games as a reason to stay positive. Every week you've got something new to convince yourself with that it's all gonna be fine. It's not. Can't help but think the whimper we go out with this season is gonna hit you harder than anyone when you've spent the last 2 months of the season ignoring what is happening on the pitch, filing it away under 'over-analysis'.
giphy.gif

Otis

Shipley CAN play left back, so it would have been quite easy to go with Shipley and Reid in front of him.

aloisiwouldhavescored

Why do you use up the extra time minutes by doing a substitution? for fuck sake as soon as they scored he should have bought Reid on before the kick off. Or am I being stupid thinking this?
Yes that's absolutely what he should have done. But this is Robins we are talking about. Colchester's manager brought all 3 of their subs on and look where it got them.

Londonccfcfan

It's fine, you cling on to the one chance we've created in 3 games as a reason to stay positive. Every week you've got something new to convince yourself with that it's all gonna be fine. It's not. Can't help but think the whimper we go out with this season is gonna hit you harder than anyone when you've spent the last 2 months of the season ignoring what is happening on the pitch, filing it away under 'over-analysis'.
giphy.gif
Yes indeed it will and is hitting hard. But one thing i will never lose is faith. Yes i am clinging to that performance in 2nd half. We have played worse and won.

Alot of us clapped the players off yesterday after a loss. It happens its football.

I have faith in the games remaining and the squad is good enough for clinching the last couple of places in the play offs.

Lol trust me im not putting mybhead in the sand. I think Robins has to be really strong in his beliefs its tough, but changing now would like fire fighting. He should stock to his guns. Judge him after 46 games.

Have faith in best manager available to us at this level.

And for the record. I still would backk him next year even if we dont this year.

Also im not saying your wrong...far from it. Its good debate.

Liquid Gold

Yes indeed it will and is hitting hard. But one thing i will never lose is faith. Yes i am clinging to that performance in 2nd half. We have played worse and won.

Alot of us clapped the players off yesterday after a loss. It happens its football.

I have faith in the games remaining and the squad is good enough for clinching the last couple of places in the play offs.

Lol trust me im not putting mybhead in the sand. I think Robins has to be really strong in his beliefs its tough, but changing now would like fire fighting. He should stock to his guns. Judge him after 46 games.

Have faith in best manager available to us at this level.

And for the record. I still would backk him next year even if we dont this year.

Also im not saying your wrong...far from it. Its good debate.
Didn't you say you missed the first half? That might have a lot to do with your outlook because first half was appalling.

Londonccfcfan

We weren't unlucky.... We got schooled all of the first half, their manager saw them under pressure and changed it up.

The fact you are saying it was a smash and grab says it all. It was way too negative.

We shouldn't be relying on smash and grab against the run of play.
I missed first half. I heard yes they were on top. Thry had a couple a chances amd got given a very soft penalty. Im judging by what i saw in the second half. We were dominant as i can remember for a while. But again its always one good half. Which agreed isnt good enough.

Otis

I missed first half. I heard yes they were on top. Thry had a couple a chances amd got given a very soft penalty. Im judging by what i saw in the second half. We were dominant as i can remember for a while. But again its always one good half. Which agreed isnt good enough.

I bet you've only ever seen A Matter of Life and Death in colour and Pleasantville in black and white.

;)

Otis

Mate i used to watch snooker in a black and white tv.

Everything for for me is a different shade of grey.
Not as bad as my parents, who not only watched snooker in black and white, but a firework display too.

It was Bonfire Night and instead of watching fireworks go off outside by looking through the windows, they decided to shut the curtains and watch a live firework display on the TV on a black and white TV.

wingy

Is he big brother or little one, Spider? If you are elder tell him to button his lip.
I was merely surprised given his good education and general inteligence ,but fear his grey matter is going the way of my Own.lol

Otis

I was merely surprised given his good education and general inteligence ,but fear his grey matter is going the way of my Own.lol
Gets to us all, Wingy.

Yesterday in the car I inadvertently locked all the doors. We then had to pick up my missus' work collegaue and when I pulled up and stopped for her she kept trying to open the door and it was only then I realised I had locked it.

I then proceeded to wind the windows down and switch on the wipers, completely forgetting what to press to unlock the doors. My missus had to lean over and flick the button while I sat there scratching my head.

Users who are viewing this thread