Match Thread Coventry City at Colchester United Match Thread - Tuesday 13th Feb (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City at Colchester United match, tactics and predictions :)

oucho

1-1

Nick

Administrator
If it's the same approach as yesterday a 2-0 loss with Stevenson bossing the midfield because nobody goes near him

Otis

2 nil defeat, unless Robins mixes it up a bit.

May change my thoughts when I see Tuesday's lineup.

Warwickhunt

Give Mcnulty the chance to get well! Play JCH from the off alongside Biamou on the right, play Reid on the left give Bayliss a chance to get fit and play Kelly right side Barratt middle & Shipley left in the middle. DKE is not working so play either Hyam or Willis at right back

johnwillomagic

Well would definitely shake things up after that but options limited a little with illness and injuries - given that I do not see many coming back would go this way,
If you had asked me if I would pick this team a few weeks back would have laughed at you, now I am crying!

Naming lumps/experienced players where possible for this one and play a 4-4-2 diamond formation trying to push Vincenti into his
natural role as ACM just behind the front two - think Mcnulty could switch about with Biamou on the right.

Sadly be delighted with a point out of this one 1-1 draw.

Burge GK
Stokes LB
Hyam CB
McDonald CB
Willis RB
Reid LM
Kelly DCM
Vincenti ACM
Biamou RM
McNulty ST
JCH ST

Subs: O'Brien, DKE, Haynes, Bayliss, Shipley, Beavon, Ponticelli

Nick

Administrator
Surely dke will be completely out of the squad now and the other will come in to start? That's how it works and why they won't ever be consistent.

speedie87

Doyle hurt his knee. Did it blocking a shot edge of area at mk first half after bad stokes header. Played on after treatment then played next couple of games with loads of strapping an obviously made it worse.

My team for col Utd

Burge ( assuming he’s back was sub yesterday but didn’t do warm up)
Willis at rb (as Dion is a liability)
Hyam
McDonald
Stokes
Bayliss rm
Kelly
Shipley
Reid
Clarke Harris
McNulty

stevefloyd

Possibly put Stokes in the centre push Willis to RB then Haynes LB, definitely need to sort midfield because Saturday never worked at all

The Reverend Skyblue

I think Colchester contracting a horrible stomach virus that speads uncontrolled through their entire squad in the next 48 hours would really help.
Then they would have to put out their U23's who hopefully would be so overwhelmed and in awe of Beavon's scoring record that they fold very early on letting us win by 1-0 with yes our Stuart scoring the winner.

Amcoventry

They drew with Grimsby & Cambridge at home and got thrashed by Cheltenham - 2-1 to us

Otis

They drew with Grimsby & Cambridge at home and got thrashed by Cheltenham - 2-1 to us
That thrashing by Cheltenham though was that infamous game where Reid got sent off for them.

They were 1-0 up and well in control apparently and the Reid sending off completely changed the match, so wouldn't pay too much heed to that. That's why their manager was so angry with him.

And you say they drew with Grimsby and Cambridge, but didn't we lose against FGR and Morecambe?

Colchester have only lost 3 games at home all season.

Very tough game for us.

Amcoventry

That thrashing by Cheltenham though was that infamous game where Reid got sent off for them.

They were 1-0 up and well in control apparently and the Reid sending off completely changed the match, so wouldn't pay too much heed to that. That's why their manager was so angry with him.

And you say they drew with Grimsby and Cambridge, but didn't we lose against FGR and Morecambe?

Colchester have only lost 3 games at home all season.

Very tough game for us.
Every club has to have at least one optimist

Brighton Sky Blue

Bit OTT, Brighton, as it is just 2 games, but lose tomorrow and then again on Saturday and it will look more like that is the case for sure.

It might seem that way but our away form is dreadful, numerous key players are either injured or unfit, and we are creating very little. I don't see any basis for us winning this game. Which means we'll win 3-0.

Terry Gibson's perm

Been scoring for the U21's, but not on the bench on Saturday, which I can assume was down to the illness bug as much as anything.

It’s either he had the shits or is shit I will go for the second option

steve82

--------------O'Brien--------------
Willis--McDonald--Stokes--Haynes
--Vincenti--Bayliss--Kelly(c)--Reid--
---------Biamou----JCH----------

Bench
Burge, Hyam, DiKE, Shiperly, Barrett, Beavon, Ponticelli.

Wasn't overly impressed with Reid's overall input but improved what we were doing. Felt he lacked confidence still. Could of ran at his man more and utilised his ability but applied the brakes and passed. When he did and put in the cross 3/4 we're good so you gotta give him a start given the lack of forward thinking players. I'd bring Haynes in too tok be progressive down the left and Vincenti on the right for the longer ball picking a pass.

DiKE cannot start for me after Saturday therefore Willis has to shift across as do the others with Haynes slotting in. Harsh on Hyam but we need a progressive fullback more. Dropping McNulty out the side completely as the man must be half dead trying to play Saturday after losing so much weight through illness.

1-1 draw, virus is still hanging over us. February could be a killer month after a good December, January.

It never rains....

Otis

Bench

Wasn't overly impressed with Reid's overall input but improved what we were doing. Felt he lacked confidence still. Could of ran at his man more and utilised his ability but applied the brakes and passed. When he did and put in the cross 3/4 we're good so you gotta give him a start given the lack of forward thinking players. I'd bring Haynes in too tok be progressive down the left and Vincenti on the right for the longer ball picking a pass.

DiKE cannot start for me after Saturday therefore Willis has to shift across as do the others with Haynes slotting in. Harsh on Hyam but we need a progressive fullback more. Dropping McNulty out the side completely as the man must be half dead trying to play Saturday after losing so much weight through illness.

1-1 draw, virus is still hanging over us. February could be a killer month after a good December, January.

It never rains....
Just don't see how you can leave McNulty out and there you have two target men. Cannot see that working at all, with no-one to play off them.

chiefdave

Big game for us. Apart from Wycombe v Swindon everyone above is playing a team below them they should beat so we need a win or we could find ourselves 5 points outside the play off places.

Shame there's midweek games this week. Looks like the squad could have done with 2 or 3 days off which would have been possible if we weren't playing again until Saturday.

Nick

Administrator

Bench

It never rains....

If we just gave Reid and Vincenti the task of whipping as many crosses in as possible all game then we might get somewhere. If Reid is whipping a cross in then Vincenti gets in the box and vice versa. (see Accrington's first on Saturday where their midfielder came in and tapped it in, rather than us when a ball flies across it goes out for a throw and misses)

We also need Biamou to play deeper, none of this having to run 20 metres back to win a header leaving us a striker short.

steve82

Just don't see how you can leave McNulty out and there you have two target men. Cannot see that working at all, with no-one to play off them.

I've left him out as he should never of played Saturday after the weight loss MR said about. Yes he's the one most likely to score if at all but at a huge risk of injury. Yes we need points but lose him to a hamstring or calf strain and it's curtains for sure.

JCH is strong and powerful and can hold his own like a target man but he's more in his locker than a target man role, he has the ability to play too like McNulty. We've not given him anything to showcase this yet, let Biamou carry on his game and JCH do the McNulty role.

Users who are viewing this thread