Match Thread Coventry City at Colchester United Match Thread - Tuesday 13th Feb (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

Last few pages of this thread are giving me serious de ja vu. On both sides of the argument.

Why are stuck in this Groundhog Day of shit?

stevefloyd

Get some perspective. We have had a bad run or 3 defeats. Teams do that. We have got vital players out sick and some injured.
Our captain is missing.
We have one eye on a glory game to focus on at the week end.
Stokes has not looked good since he got back in the side. Haynes offers more going forward. Reid should have started.
After Saturday we should be able to pick our stronger side.
7th is a play off position. I'd back us over two legs with a big crowed up the Ricoh.
It's still very doable. What's the betting we get good results in our next 3?
Robin's needs to take risk when we are on the front foot and freshen it up.
Pontichelli needs a chance. We need to play it on the floor.
Now we will see what everyone including the manager is made of.
I'm rubbing my hands at the prospect.
Have you seen us play in front of a big crowd?

stevefloyd

That was hard to take. First half was abysmal. Second half gradually picked up. Once we equalised only looked like one winner then shit defending by stokes and we leave with fuck all.

2 points

Robins stubborn with subs and never pro active. Why bring Reid on the 90th min?

Kelly is shocking. We sell Stevenson who bosses midfield and keep Kelly who is woeful. Never looks forward and gives the ball away all the time. Robins has his favourites and he’s one of them

Now for a 2 and half hour journey. Depressing being a city fan. And shout out to Raff’s coach who never made the game due to traffic. I wish we were stuck too.
When has Stevenson ever bossed midfield? Dont know why people are banging on about him, he was too lightweight as is the 2 loans he brought in!
I really cannot see atm what Robins game plan is, maybe he has been told by the heirarchy to consolidate this season because that would then make sense because he really isnt a brave manager to go all out for a win

Gazolba

Plus we didn't sell the crown jewels in January. A lot of us were half expecting McNulty, Willis and Bayliss to go.
You actually think we have crown jewels? Pry them out of that crown and you'll find they are actually coloured glass.

stevefloyd

It's all well and good saying it every time somebody points out the manager making mistakes but what excuses are there for tonight? What excuses are there for playing for draws?

Does the manager need support as to how to win games? Seems like without Doyle and Taylor he is lost.
Who is Taylor?

clint van damme

I don't get robins comments about being mentally weak. This team showed massive amounts of mental fortitude in beating Stoke and MK.
Has something changed?

Going forward, that's 1 away win in 6 in the league. Next two games 2 form teams away, I'm not hopeful and think we'll be left with a mountain to climb come the beginning of March. It's the hope that kills you.

Otis

I don't get robins comments about being mentally weak. This team showed massive amounts of mental fortitude in beating Stoke and MK.
Has something changed?

Going forward, that's 1 away win in 6 in the league. Next two games 2 form teams away, I'm not hopeful and think we'll be left with a mountain to climb come the beginning of March. It's the hope that kills you.
Yeah, I picked up on that too. Suddenly we are mentally weak? Not sure that's the sort of label you want to be throwing out there at the players.

Nick

Administrator
He is showing he is mentally weak. How many times has he made big calls that have changed games?

oucho

He is showing he is mentally weak. How many times has he made big calls that have changed games?

In fairness I don't think there was a big call he could have made last night. OK, you could argue he ought to have brought Reid on much earlier, but that's about it as far as I can see. The bench presented a very limited set of options. And who knows, perhaps Reid isn't fully fit (which would beg the question why he was brought on in injury time). Perhaps he is putting his trust in his starting XI (minus the sub for JCH) to do the business over 90 minutes. Maybe he reckons showing faith in his starting XI to get the job done over 90 minutes will bear fruit. Maybe that IS the "big call".

Not that I agree with him, just trying to get into his mindset......

Nick

Administrator
In fairness I don't think there was a big call he could have made last night. OK, you could argue he ought to have brought Reid on much earlier, but that's about it as far as I can see. The bench presented a very limited set of options. And who knows, perhaps Reid isn't fully fit (which would beg the question why he was brought on in injury time). Perhaps he is putting his trust in his starting XI (minus the sub for JCH) to do the business over 90 minutes. Maybe he reckons showing faith in his starting XI to get the job done over 90 minutes will bear fruit. Maybe that IS the "big call".

Not that I agree with him, just trying to get into his mindset......

It was a big enough call that pretty much post people watching agreed.

It's not just this game either, it's every other one he has tried to play for the draw when losing.

We had a spell on top of the game, Colchester made changes. We needed to go at them while the game was open to finish them off.

He doesn't make big calls or show intent to try and win games, which is why other teams win games and create more chances.

stevefloyd

Good managers can win seemingly lost games or at least get a draw. I dont remember him doing that too many times... that said until a few games ago he was almost a god he needs to regain that status and quick about it

oucho

It was a big enough call that pretty much post people watching agreed.

It's not just this game either, it's every other one he has tried to play for the draw when losing.

We had a spell on top of the game, Colchester made changes. We needed to go at them while the game was open to finish them off.

He doesn't make big calls or show intent to try and win games, which is why other teams win games and create more chances.

Without commenting on previous games, I felt he was within his rights to go for the draw before kick-off. Would have taken a point before kick-off, especially given the injury limitations, off the back of two punishing defeats. Colchester are a tough side, it's a long way to go on a February night and I suspect MR felt he didn't have the attacking resources to really go for the win without exposing ourselves.

All that said, nothing excuses what sounds like a very poor tactical setup and general performance in the first half.

Generally Midfield

Maybe I have very low expectations but despite being terrible first half we only conceded from a dodgy penalty and second half we did really well to get back into it and looked like we were going to win. Giving away such a stupid late goal was a sickener. Something certainly changed at half time and in the second half I didn't hear anyone calling for subs because things were going well. Fine margins.

Terry_dactyl

I only caught the tail end of the first half and we looked shite but I thought after our goal we battered them. We showed more fight and, importantly, skill than in the previous 2 games. Basically I felt we were unlucky.
However, I also think (previous 2 games excepted) this has been a theme for a quite a few of our defeats/draws this season. Maybe we’re just not good enough.

JimmyHillsbeard

On the brighter side of things... with all the teams top of the conference possibly not coming up because of ground issues - Fylde could get promoted!

Blackpool piss up booked in! downside is so could tranmere - that’s 6 dropped points before we start

And Clive would find it even harder to pretend to be excited abt our chances against his beloved Tranmere (I swear his most animated moment yesterday was when the ColU goalkeeper made a save - I’ll watch highlights expecting to see the reincarnation of Lev Yashin - he never did tell us who had the shot)

eastwoodsdustman

Maybe I have very low expectations but despite being terrible first half we only conceded from a dodgy penalty and second half we did really well to get back into it and looked like we were going to win. Giving away such a stupid late goal was a sickener. Something certainly changed at half time and in the second half I didn't hear anyone calling for subs because things were going well. Fine margins.
That’s exactly how I saw it.
Robins mentally weak comments refer to people making mistakes at key points in the game ie 86 minutes The defence lost concentration and it cost us 1 maybe 3 points as we were in the ascendency. They had 1 shot in the second half from memory and they won the game with it.

Londonccfcfan

Took us 3.5 hours from West london, but made it before 2nd half. Horredous traffic accidents on M25.

From all accounts i didnt miss much from first half.

From what we saw in 2nd half there are positives left in the season for sure.

We were just plain unlucky not to walk away with three points. We battered tuem 2nd half.

They never got out their half. We had chance after chance. Their keeper made one save that i will describe as the best save i seen in league 2 this season from JCH flick at near post. It was going in.

Just wasnt our day. I dont think Burge had a save to make, in fact i dont think they had a shot in 2nd half. It was one way traffic. I thought we woukd go on and win it.

Just one very poor bit of marking their defender between our centre backs, and maybe we shoukd have stopped the ball coming in first place.

Even though we lost from what i seen the performance didnt warrant us losing .

Its the way its going at the moment.

Londonccfcfan

Importantly the players didnt look ill, they all seemed back to their best.

Bayliss was imperious i thought. To side foot with that much power good goal.

A few things just didnt drop for us.

oucho

Took us 3.5 hours from West london, but made it before 2nd half. Horredous traffic accidents on M25.

From all accounts i didnt miss much from first half.

From what we saw in 2nd half there are positives left in the season for sure.

We were just plain unlucky not to walk away with three points. We battered tuem 2nd half.

They never got out their half. We had chance after chance. Their keeper made one save that i will describe as the best save i seen in league 2 this season from JCH flick at near post. It was going in.

Just wasnt our day. I dont think Burge had a save to make, in fact i dont think they had a shot in 2nd half. It was one way traffic. I thought we woukd go on and win it.

Just one very poor bit of marking their defender between our centre backs, and maybe we shoukd have stopped the ball coming in first place.

Even though we lost from what i seen the performance didnt warrant us losing .

Its the way its going at the moment.

Whereabouts in West London did you drive from? Are you active in CCLSC?

Nick

Administrator
Lots of people were calling for subs, plenty as soon as we scored

eastwoodsdustman

The only sub needed last night was for Biamou to come off. He was poor last night. Not pressing, lethargic and way off the pace. Not sure whether it’s tiredness or the knock he took early on. We were much better when JCH came on. Hopefully he’s up to fitness now so that max can have a rest.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Because the ones he got rid of were shite
The signing have not exactly set the world alight I think "Hobo" was questioning the amount . For a team with a 2 division budget you have to buy wisely quality is what was needed if you think he did fair enough .I don't January especially . "Shit released" Lameiras 1089 minutes4 goals 4 assists not even a striker in a league above us . Biamou signed by Robins a striker 1972 minutes 2 goals 3 assists . I also think Kelly was a bad signing now Doyle is not along side him we see how good he is or is not . Is Obrien a better keeper than R C C who is holding down a place in a team in the same league as us . I could go on, its a matter of opinion but I think he has made too many mistakes

stevefloyd

I have said a few times on here that Robins signed 12 players not all have been good but a rebuild was neccessary now we have a core of players that other teams may actually want so in that respect he has done well for the club in providing assets but to want to sack him thats fucking ridiculous nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread