Match Thread Coventry City at Cheltenham Town Match Thread - Saturday 28th Apr (3 Viewers)

Otis

What you on about now Otis. Even if they lose to Accrington, and we beat Cheltenham they still above us? Lol.

All I’m saying to you is I’m more concerned about Mansfield. Besides they still looking at automatics like we would have been if we beat them 4-2.
Two games to go, not one. That's what I am on about. Not just talking about Saturday. There's two games left.

We can catch Lincoln still.

Otis

I reckon us and Mansfield will both draw on Saturday which means going into the Morecambe game all we’d have to do is avoid defeat.. :muted:
At the same time it wouldn't surprise me if we haven't already got enough points for 7th place right now.

I can definitely see Yeovil getting something against Mansfield. Last home game of the season and they will want to impress their fans.

They are already targeting a play-off place next season.

coop

We could do with Morecambe not getting beat off Barton this weekend so at least they are safe when we play them but let' be honest we never do very well against both of our next opponents. I honestly am shitting myself as we have never been so close to a little bit of success. We should of already secured promotion imo but have been beat my to many average teams.

Otis

Morecambe just need a draw against Barnet. They are at home too, so you would have to fancy them to get the point they need.

steve82

Mansfield are the hunters so the pressure really is all on ccfc who have it all to loose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

I reckon us and Mansfield will both draw on Saturday which means going into the Morecambe game all we’d have to do is avoid defeat.. :muted:

It's gonna be an unbearable but very exciting last few mins of our game if that's the case . It's going to be like that till end of season now.

Londonccfcfan

At the same time it wouldn't surprise me if we haven't already got enough points for 7th place right now.

I can definitely see Yeovil getting something against Mansfield. Last home game of the season and they will want to impress their fans.

They are already targeting a play-off place next season.

I can't see Yeovil doing anything(hope I'm wrong) as form counts for nothing. We all think they are good as what they did to us few weeks ago. But fact is they are shocking that one result was a freak.

Like I said earlier.Mansfield have easiest run in. Teams that are playing for nothing. And teams which are bottom and 22nd in the form table over the last 10 games.

Otis

I can't see Yeovil doing anything(hope I'm wrong) as form counts for nothing. We all think they are good as what they did to us few weeks ago. But fact is they are shocking that one result was a freak.

Like I said earlier.Mansfield have easiest run in. Teams that are playing for nothing. And teams which are bottom and 22nd in the form table over the last 10 games.
Sometimes playing against teams who have nothing to play for can backfire on you, because they can play with a great deal of freedom.

Been many cases of it over the seasons and we have encountered it oursleves. I think Yeovil will be up for it on Saturday. Last showing before their home fans.

Otis

Mansfield are the hunters so the pressure really is all on ccfc who have it all to loose.

Not so sure on that, steve. Surely the pressure is on Mansfield too after the CEO's little bit of a rant at them. They are expected now to perform these last two games and I think they are expected to win both. That brings it's own pressure.

Londonccfcfan

Worst case even a draw would have sufficed vs lincoln.
Sometimes playing against teams who have nothing to play for can backfire on you, because they can play with a great deal of freedom.

Been many cases of it over the seasons and we have encountered it oursleves. I think Yeovil will be up for it on Saturday. Last showing before their home fans.

Only positives I can see from Yeovil point of view is that their keys players are back from suspension.

Also it's a long trip Mansfield to Yeovil.

But on the negative side. Yeovil played midweek and Mansfield didnt.

WE can pick the bones out of anything and look for posotives.

Get 3 points Saturday we will be fine.

Otis

Worst case even a draw would have sufficed vs lincoln.

Only positives I can see from Yeovil point of view is that their keys players are back from suspension.

Also it's a long trip Mansfield to Yeovil.

But on the negative side. Yeovil played midweek and Mansfield didnt.

WE can pick the bones out of anything and look for posotives.

Get 3 points Saturday we will be fine.
Also needs to be noted that although Yeovil lost to Wycombe a week or so back, word is they were much the better side and deserved to win that encounter. Like you say, having their suspended players back must be a boost for them.

Last edited:

Kingokings204

Not so sure on that, steve. Surely the pressure is on Mansfield too after the CEO's little bit of a rant at them. They are expected now to perform these last two games and I think they are expected to win both. That brings it's own pressure.

Yeah exactly right. We have had our dressing down from robins. Players will want to get a win.

Evo1883

Bit worried tbh

Have a horrible feeling robins might set up very negatively to try NOT to lose thinking morecambe at home is our ticket to the playoffs ,and it’s going to backfire .

Worst case scenario and we end up 8th by Saturday evening and hoping Mansfield will lose on the final day

Otis

Update: calmed down now. Hope we win.
Really?

Like the rest of us don't?

giphy.gif

skybluepm2

Can’t recall the last time I was as nervous about a fixture as I am for tomorrow. Which CCFC are going to turn up?

Failure to make the play-offs now would be unforgivable. How many opportunities have we been presented? I imagine the feeling would be fairly similar to that of being relegated.

Robins has to be ruthless tomorrow, go for the jugular and get the gutless cowards out of that team. Bye bye Burge and Haynes, McDonald dropped for Davies and Shipley tester for Reid, an out and out winger l, instead of us consistently playing 2 cracking youngsters out of position. Time to stand up and be counted.

Otis

Can’t recall the last time I was as nervous about a fixture as I am for tomorrow. Which CCFC are going to turn up?

Failure to make the play-offs now would be unforgivable. How many opportunities have we been presented? I imagine the feeling would be fairly similar to that of being relegated.

Robins has to be ruthless tomorrow, go for the jugular and get the gutless cowards out of that team. Bye bye Burge and Haynes, McDonald dropped for Davies and Shipley tester for Reid, an out and out winger l, instead of us consistently playing 2 cracking youngsters out of position. Time to stand up and be counted.
I am sure the 'right' Coventry City will turn up, especially after Robins laid into them big time.

There will be a reaction I am sure, but our defence is now looking very brittle and nervy and that could still prove to be our downfall no matter how much endeavour and effort we put in.

Interesting to note that both sides, Cheltenham and ourselves let in 4 goals in our last game out.

However, I would expect this to be more of a low scoring affair.

I certainly don't doubt we will put in a positive showing. It's just whether our defence can get their act together or not.

skybluepm2

I am sure the 'right' Coventry City will turn up, especially after Robins laid into them big time.

There will be a reaction I am sure, but our defence is now looking very brittle and nervy and that could still prove to be our downfall no matter how much endeavour and effort we put in.

Interesting to note that both sides, Cheltenham and ourselves let in 4 goals in our last game out.

However, I would expect this to be more of a low scoring affair.

I certainly don't doubt we will put in a positive showing. It's just whether our defence can get their act together or not.

Hope you’re right Sir. I’m ever the pessimist. I certainly think we need to shake it up in the defence but wholesale changes could also be risky.

Otis

I am usually very optimistic and was very confident we would make the playoffs for sure, however, seeing our defence cut to shreds by Yeovil and then Lincoln (seemingly we didn't learn from the first debacle) I am now having my doubts.

Can we win the game tomorrow? Yes, course we can, but we simply have to sort out defence out, especially as we are coming up against who I see as the best striker in this league.

He must be licking his lips.

Otis

I'm still not that confident :(
Same here.

With the way our defence is playing I couldn't think of a worst time to face Mohammed Eisa, who ran us ragged up here.

Wonder if Robins might consider a back three of Willis, Rod AND Davies tomorrow.

I am convinced there will be changes. He needs to shake it up and there might be one or two surprise inclusions.

covcity4life

mansfeld have been given a reprieve after horrendus run of results caused by steve evans(if mowbray too blame after he gone so is evans-CHECKMATE)

anyway troll out the way mansfield will have renewed hope and i can see them winning next 2

Alkhen

Do you recon there will be many sneking in to the the home end? its pay on the gate in the home paddock, not sure if they will need ID or anything

SkyBlueCRJ

The issue with Cheltenham is that they score goals. To hit 65 league goals this season given their lowly position in the table is hugely impressive. So, on the flipside Robins needs to be tactically astute in his set up on Saturday as the amount of goals we have conceded recently is nothing short of embarrassing. (13 goals in 5 games).

Our primary objective should be to shut Eisa down from the get-go as he's obviously their biggest threat. 24 goals in all competitions this season is a real feat for a club that will finish in the bottom half of the table. (He should be a top target in the summer if McNulty leaves).

Cheltenham's defence is leaky so this is something to capitalise on. They're a strong outfit though so it won't be as simple as 'an early goal will put this to bed' - this was apparent in their most recent 4-3 loss to Cambridge.

In regards to Robins' set up I'd seriously consider rotating the defence as their recent form has been appalling as I previously mentioned.

Londonccfcfan

I don't think I need to say what we need to do to Eisa in the first minute, do I?

giphy.gif

Lol...What is it with you that you want to take out the opposition danger man in the first minute.
I understand where your coming from. But this is not the time to risk a sending off.

It’s prcatically last chance saloon.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Lol...What is it with you that you want to take out the opposition danger man in the first minute.
I understand where your coming from. But this is not the time to risk a sending off.

He's right though, we need to show some steel.

There's a difference between getting yourself sent off and going in for a header a bit aggressively which might catch the opponent off guard.

Skyblueweeman

Who's going to want it more?

1) Mansfield wanting to win both games.
2) Morecambe wanting to not get relegated.
3) Coventry wanting to 'get a draw' at Cheltenham and then wait to try and get the win against Morcambe.

There is one loser out of this and that's us. We are massive bottle jobs.

I'm sorry ESK, but that's rubbish. Do you seriously think MR would risk it going to the last game, thinking that a nervy Ricoh is going to be a better option than sealing the deal this weekend?

Do you also think the Cov players will only want to 'get a draw' this weekend? I don't believe either of those for a second.

There's so many drama queens on here at the moment with knee jerk reactions (that's not necessarily aimed at you ESK by the way...). Everyone seriously needs to calm their tits down. Screw what Mansfield do. Last month, we took 11 points from 15 and didn't lose. Before the Lincoln game we had won two on the bounce, coming back from two defeats, one of the heavy, scoring 5 and conceding 2.

I always go back to the Oxford game at Wembley. The most recent 'big' game we've had by comparison. Oxford had tonked us 4-1 earlier in the season and MR got the players up for it and we know what happened.

I think we'll got for it Saturday and come away with a 3-1 win.

Nick

Administrator

I'm not saying break his leg and get a red card in the first minute.

I am saying "Let him know you are there early doors".

It is much more effective than the "lay out the red carpet and offer them a wank and a biscuit" tactic currently used.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm sorry ESK, but that's rubbish. Do you seriously think MR would risk it going to the last game, thinking that a nervy Ricoh is going to be a better option than sealing the deal this weekend?

Do you also think the Cov players will only want to 'get a draw' this weekend? I don't believe either of those for a second.

There's so many drama queens on here at the moment with knee jerk reactions (that's not necessarily aimed at you ESK by the way...). Everyone seriously needs to calm their tits down. Screw what Mansfield do. Last month, we took 11 points from 15 and didn't lose. Before the Lincoln game we had won two on the bounce, coming back from two defeats, one of the heavy, scoring 5 and conceding 2.

I always go back to the Oxford game at Wembley. The most recent 'big' game we've had by comparison. Oxford had tonked us 4-1 earlier in the season and MR got the players up for it and we know what happened.

I think we'll got for it Saturday and come away with a 3-1 win.

What are you talking about? You've taken my post and digested it in the completely wrong way.

I have said multiple times that we need to go out tomorrow and play like our lives depend on it. We need the 3 points otherwise we are in serious trouble. I would back Mansfield to win both games, and I'd back Morecambe to stop us from winning if they need a point to stay up. Both teams will want it more than us. If we have to go into the last game needing to win then we'll bottle it.

I am pointing out that the 'playing for a draw' idea tomorrow is absolutely bonkers, and I am also trying to point out that people who think we are walking into the playoffs and the final at Wembley need some strong coffee and a slap! There are far too many complacent people at the moment, including our defence.

Users who are viewing this thread