Council's top solicitor quits (1 Viewer)

Astute

It is the fact that on a professional networking site he decided to send a comment like that to a woman half his age. Fair enough, if they were on a dating website then I can see your point of view. Do you think it is right that a woman is immediately judged on her looks by a man twice her age? It wasn't appropriate at all.

I can only imagine it is a difference in generations. I do not understand why you are comparing your own experiences in a bar to a woman's business profile on a business networking site? Strange.

It was a private message. If she didn't like him paying her a complement she could have just sent a message back. The message wasn't sexist. It wasn't derogatory. But she made it public. Then she called the comment derogatory and sexist. Maybe she has never had a complement before as she is certainly lacking in the looks department.

And whilst we are at it you have made derogatory remarks about him. Is that OK because he is a bloke but not OK to make a comment about a woman? Some sex equality this is.

Sick Boy

It was a private message. If she didn't like him paying her a complement she could have just sent a message back. The message wasn't sexist. It wasn't derogatory. But she made it public. Then she called the comment derogatory and sexist. Maybe she has never had a complement before as she is certainly lacking in the looks department.

And whilst we are at it you have made derogatory remarks about him. Is that OK because he is a bloke but not OK to make a comment about a woman? Some sex equality this is.

As I said before, it is obviously a difference in generations as your views are becoming more and more outdated.

Nick

Administrator
Equality has too many rules :( if only it was just treat everybody the same no matter what sex, color or religion. That's what I was taught, but seems like politically correct the more rules.

Sick Boy

Equality has too many rules :( if only it was just treat everybody the same no matter what sex, color or religion. That's what I was taught, but seems like politically correct the more rules.

He wasn't treating her a professional equal and debased her professionally by objectifying her.

It's probably a generational difference but luckily old darts lime him are on the way out.

armybike

Maybe she has never had a complement before as she is certainly lacking in the looks department.

For fuck's sake! Really?

Rusty Trombone

Treating everyone the same isn't quite good enough any more, you should treat people how they want to be treated. Of course this is difficult as you have to have awareness of the people/person in question. In this instance the chap seems to have been aware that he was treading on dangerous ground, but carried on anyway.

It's been blown out of proportion though, and I doubt he'll send such messages again.

Astute

It's been blown out of proportion though, and I doubt he'll send such messages again.

Too right. Hopefully he will tell her she is ugly next time. Would love to see what accusation she would make to that :whistle:

Sick Boy

Too right. Hopefully he will tell her she is ugly next time. Would love to see what accusation she would make to that :whistle:

...and you try to claim you aren't a dinosaur. What's next? Some bizarre post about how 'big' you are?

Nick

Administrator
Treating everyone the same isn't quite good enough any more, you should treat people how they want to be treated. Of course this is difficult as you have to have awareness of the people/person in question. In this instance the chap seems to have been aware that he was treading on dangerous ground, but carried on anyway.

I didn't mean treat everybody like I would a mate down the pub. Just the way generally things are dealt with whether they are make, female, black, white etc.

All of this women should be equal but then it's not equal but it's the same but different take away these bits.

I can't keep up with the politically correctness and the people that have never said anything sexist etc in private and are pure.

Rusty Trombone

Or he could try and not make any reference to her appearance as it's not relevant.

I see from his linkedin page he's a fan of photography, I wonder if he's added that today.

Rusty Trombone

I didn't mean treat everybody like I would a mate down the pub. Just the way generally things are dealt with whether they are make, female, black, white etc.

All of this women should be equal but then it's not equal but it's the same but different take away these bits.

I can't keep up with the politically correctness and the people that have never said anything sexist etc in private and are pure.

If you're amongst friends, or in private, then you can generally pick up whether things are being said in jest, and you may well say things that, if taken out of context, would be damning. That's where he should have known better, he doesn't know this woman, he shouldn't have made the comment.

I suspect most people (maybe not Astute ;)) would know not to write such things to a stranger, especially when representing your company. I doubt you'd do it, so you probably are keeping up with the pc stuff.

Sick Boy

The burning issue is still inequality in the workplace and the gap in pay between men and women.

Sick Boy

If you're amongst friends, or in private, then you can generally pick up whether things are being said in jest, and you may well say things that, if taken out of context, would be damning. That's where he should have known better, he doesn't know this woman, he shouldn't have made the comment.

I suspect most people (maybe not Astute ;)) would know not to write such things to a stranger, especially when representing your company. I doubt you'd do it, so you probably are keeping up with the pc stuff.

If you are on a dating site or whatever the sad cases use then fair enough.

Cov City Daytrader 87

Okay time to take a look at this video.

[video=youtube;RX73tDaBC1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX73tDaBC1E[/video]

Contains profanity.

Grendel

As I said before, it is obviously a difference in generations as your views are becoming more and more outdated.

That's generatist ;)

The views are just draconian. The bottom line is this is a comment some guy has made at a woman's professional photograph. She is not looking for the comment - the comment is very poor judgement and of course is offensive. It's not a reference to her skill set but her looks.

I have worked in the retail environment in the past and seriously some of the sexism would make your hair stand on end. Women employed for their breast size, managers moving offices to get better view of said breasts,

I'm overweight but would have no worry about being interviewed on merit and the company I work for is very strong and equality and diversity. However I can pretty much guarantee that many women are judged on looks as well as ability,

She's bound to be prickly. No comment on the size of her PHD but an ogling sexual comment which belongs in the 70's - yuck.

Grendel

Maybe she has never had a complement before as she is certainly lacking in the looks department.

Christ - what is this some scene from a 70's Carry on Film?

Are you Jason King?

armybike

Okay time to take a look at this video.

So he skews the whole argument with his own take on definitions/means of words and reinforces it by shouting/swearing and concludes that well if "they" do it, so can we!?

Well that's nine minutes of my life I've never get back!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think it was pathetic from the woman, she's clearly on a power trip. If she doesn't want those sort of comments then she could either
A) Ignore him
B) Message him privately back saying stop or its not appreciated.

Its not like the message is particularly rude or offensive in the actual content, its just out of place for the environment it was posted in. I'm not sure what his age has to do with it either which she seems to think is relevant, why bring it up? Surely if its unacceptable for a man twice your age to comment on your picture on a business site then its also unacceptable for a man of your age to also comment on your picture on a business site? These people preach equality but seem in there mind to place themselves above men and its clear from her response she thinks he is scum.

She decided she wanted to make it public to try and embarrass him, pathetic attention seeker.

Nothing massively offensively with what he said, just wrong place rather then offensive. He was just unfortunate that it happened to be this person on the end of it.

Astute

The burning issue is still inequality in the workplace and the gap in pay between men and women.

I work with female mechanical engineers. We are on the same pay other than the level we are on. We have a high proportion of bosses that are women to how many work at our place. And most major employers are the same.

The main reason that women earn less these days on average is the jobs they do. Things have changed. If you work somewhere that does differently they need reporting.

SkyBlue_Bear83

That's generatist ;)

The views are just draconian. The bottom line is this is a comment some guy has made at a woman's professional photograph. She is not looking for the comment - the comment is very poor judgement and of course is offensive. It's not a reference to her skill set but her looks.

I have worked in the retail environment in the past and seriously some of the sexism would make your hair stand on end. Women employed for their breast size, managers moving offices to get better view of said breasts,

I'm overweight but would have no worry about being interviewed on merit and the company I work for is very strong and equality and diversity. However I can pretty much guarantee that many women are judged on looks as well as ability,

She's bound to be prickly. No comment on the size of her PHD but an ogling sexual comment which belongs in the 70's - yuck.
In this case thought it's not like he's told her shes got massive melons and he wants to smash her. The comment in itself isn't sexist, the timing/delivery of it is inappropriate and I can see why she would be annoyed but a polite response which points out that it is not welcome/appropriate on a business site or ignoring it would suffice as a reasonable reaction here.

Instead she labels him as a sexist misogynistic man and tries to publicly embarrass and humiliate him, which is very harsh and a massive overreaction to what is just poor judgement rather than offensive.

armybike

I think it was pathetic from the woman, she's clearly on a power trip. If she doesn't want those sort of comments then she could either
A) Ignore him
B) Message him privately back saying stop or its not appreciated.

C) He shouldn't have sent the message in the first place and then also back track that his was on about the quality not content of the photo when it was dropped on his toes.

It's for business, not personal link ups.

This has nothing to do with bra burning feminists over reacting, but the fact blokes think it's OK to try it on in the first place.

She's asked to link up with him via a recognised business site, he's taken that as a green light. That's the issue at hand.

Nick

Administrator
C) He shouldn't have sent the message in the first place and then also back track that his was on about the quality not content of the photo when it was dropped on his toes.

This has nothing to do with bra burning feminists over reacting, but the fact blokes think it's OK to try it on in the first place.

She's asked to link up with him via a recognised business site, he's taken that as a green light. That's the issue at hand.

I think plenty of people use Linked In for dating, so much so people have made apps. - http://www.belinkedapp.com/

It is an over reaction. He said it was a stunning picture, do I agree or think he would actually get anywhere with her from it? No, it was silly.

She makes a point of mentioning his age too, what has that got to do with it? Would it be ok if he was a young, what she thought attractive man with exactly the same interests as her? Would it have got the same reaction then?

When I go into the shop and the old woman calls me darling or something, I must remember to go fucking apeshit about it.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He said her photo looked good, he hasn't said anything lewd, vulgar or sexual. Its everyone assuming he meant this in a sexual way, maybe he said it because he thought women like compliments and thought it would be appreciated, maybe he said it as he liked her hair style. Maybe he did mean as a way of trying it on with her but as we don't know it would be unfair to assume that.

All we have are the facts as we are not mind readers and as you say you're right it is for business, not personal link ups so the comment was misjudged rather than offensive. That is why the right course of action here would have been to politely correct him that this was the wrong place for that and not appreciated.

Instead she labelled him as a sexist misogynist and tried to publicly humiliate him and make an example of him which was way out of order.

armybike

I think plenty of people use Linked In for dating, so much so people have made apps. - http://www.belinkedapp.com/

It is an over reaction.

The fact some people do, doesn't mean everyone does or that such comments should be accepted.

The fact you believe it's an over reaction doesn't take away from the fact she shouldn't have to be put in this position.

She shouldn't have to just be polite or ignore it.

Your view point isn't an overriding one.

Nick

Administrator
The fact some people do, doesn't mean everyone does or that such comments should be accepted.

The fact you believe it's an over reaction doesn't take away from the fact she shouldn't have to be put in this position.

She shouldn't have to just be polite or ignore it.

Your view point isn't an overriding one.

Again, would it have got the same reaction if it was an attractive to her bloke of the same age with the same interests etc?

Put in what position? Maybe I am misunderstanding, he shouldnt have sent it. It wasnt the right place, time or person but when you keep going on about putting her in positions it is as if he has locked her in a room demanding her to have sex with him or something. Is she going to be emotionally scarred from it?

The way you are wording things is an over reaction from this incident.

armybike

He said her photo looked good, he hasn't said anything lewd, vulgar or sexual. Its everyone assuming he meant this in a sexual way, maybe he said it because he thought women like compliments and thought it would be appreciated, maybe he said it as he liked her hair style. Maybe he did mean as a way of trying it on with her but as we don't know it would be unfair to assume that.

All we have are the facts as we are not mind readers and as you say you're right it is for business, not personal link ups so the comment was misjudged rather than offensive. That is why the right course of action here would have been to politely correct him that this was the wrong place for that and not appreciated.

Instead she labelled him as a sexist misogynist and tried to publicly humiliate him and make an example of him which was way out of order.

He said “I appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect.... ". He knew what he was doing was wrong, we don't need to assume anything or be mind readers to see that.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Again, would it have got the same reaction if it was an attractive to her bloke of the same age with the same interests etc?

Put in what position? Maybe I am misunderstanding, he shouldnt have sent it. It wasnt the right place, time or person but when you keep going on about putting her in positions it is as if he has locked her in a room demanding her to have sex with him or something. Is she going to be emotionally scarred from it?

The way you are wording things is an over reaction from this incident.

I'm literally face palming here, I think some people just like to play the white knight.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He said “I appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect.... ". He knew what he was doing was wrong, we don't need to assume anything or be mind readers to see that.

Ah so you are a mind reader then, how does that prove he meant in a I'd like to hook up with you sort of way. You've already decided that when he said her photo was good he meant it in sexually, perverted, I'd like to hit that sort of way.

Last edited:

Grendel

I'm literally face palming here, I think some people just like to play the white knight.

I can assure you if someone did this in any major company the best they could hope for is a weeks Diversity training.

Users who are viewing this thread