Council's top solicitor quits (1 Viewer)

stupot07

This still going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Astute

Out of interest, why are you framing this woman's Facebook posts as an "embarrassing twist"?

Because she thinks she can say what she wants about other people but goes OTT when someone pays her an ordinary complement and tries to make out that he did something awfully wrong.

armybike

Because she thinks she can say what she wants about other people but goes OTT when someone pays her an ordinary complement and tries to make out that he did something awfully wrong.

You forgot to add that you pay compliments to other women in front of your wife.

mds

Yes, a bit like a woman telling lies to friends and family saying she was raped, trashing a man's life without a care for the consequences, hard to justify that shit even harder to get some kind of justice when it's your life that's been trashed.

armybike

And people like you are saying I should be punished for doing so. What utter bollox.

Yep, that's exactly what I've been say. Oh, hang on. No. It. Isn't.

armybike

So if it is OK for her to do it and OK for me to do it why isn't it OK for him to do it?

Have you been reading the other comments here?

SBT

Do you think we should have used "hypocritical"?

I think you should have used "inconsequential".

You've conflated two completely unrelated facts to try and give "balance" to the story. Her Facebook comments are irrelevant. You may as well say that it would be an "embarrassing twist" to find out that someone who complains about being groped at work wasn't a virgin.

I would call it shoddy reporting, but it's not even that. It's just a lazy relaying of someone else's shoddy reporting.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
I think you should have used "inconsequential".

You've conflated two completely unrelated facts to try and give "balance" to the story. Her Facebook comments are irrelevant. You may as well say that it would be an "embarrassing twist" to find out that someone who complains about being groped at work wasn't a virgin.

I would call it shoddy reporting, but it's not even that. It's just a lazy relaying of someone else's shoddy reporting.

Comparing sexual assault to comments on social media seems a very poor taste analogy. And one that doesn't really translate well.

Both comments were on social media websites. Both arguably objectified the opposite sex - though people will disagree as to what degree they objectify, as well as the suitability of the environment the comments were posted.

It's a perfectly reasonable comparison to make. And one that it is absolutely justified to make in the interests of balance.

However, if the bigger issue here is the objectification of genders and the undermining of professional standing - I'd suggest this public spat wasn't the correct way to progress that debate. Seems to me there are many much more constructive ways of approaching that subject and adding value to the discussion.

Nick

Administrator
Just seen a hoover advert, says that handsome (good looking man) can clean his car out with it.

Currently on hold with the Samaritans.

armybike

Careful Simon, you will be labelled a sexist misogynist soon by the white knight brigade.

You're certainly cocksure.

SBT

Comparing sexual assault to comments on social media seems a very poor taste analogy. And one that doesn't really translate well.

Both comments were on social media websites. Both arguably objectified the opposite sex - though people will disagree as to what degree they objectify, as well as the suitability of the environment the comments were posted.

It's a perfectly reasonable comparison to make. And one that it is absolutely justified to make in the interests of balance.

However, if the bigger issue here is the objectification of genders and the undermining of professional standing - I'd suggest this public spat wasn't the correct way to progress that debate. Seems to me there are many much more constructive ways of approaching that subject and adding value to the discussion.

The whole point of this debate is the context in which the comments were made. You understand that's literally all there is to this, right? So to try and throw in similar comments made in completely different contexts is completely meaningless. What we say to each other in a personal environment among friends is completely separate to what you should expect in a professional environment with strangers. I can't honestly believe I have to explain that again, but apparently I do.

If you're really interested in "adding value to the discussion", drawing these false comparisons to try and undermine the person who started it doesn't seem like a good place to start. But hey, you enjoy those clicks.

Nick

Administrator
The whole point of this debate is the context in which the comments were made. You understand that's literally all there is to this, right? So to try and throw in similar comments made in completely different contexts is completely meaningless. What we say to each other in a personal environment among friends is completely separate to what you should expect in a professional environment with strangers. I can't honestly believe I have to explain that again, but apparently I do.

If you're really interested in "adding value to the discussion", drawing these false comparisons to try and undermine the person who started it doesn't seem like a good place to start. But hey, you enjoy those clicks.

Would another question be if the reaction would be the same if it was a man who looked like the blokes off Facebook she liked the look of who had said it?

stupot07

You mean a bit like his comment about his daughter?

I work with a lot of females including a fair few that would consider them selves feminists, and not one has come on the side of female barrister, in fact all are embarrassed about her attention seeking and see this more about self publication than trying to shine a light on an equalities issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

SBT

Would another question be if the reaction would be the same if it was a man who looked like the blokes off Facebook she liked the look of who had said it?

It would be inappropriate whoever said it. Her reaction would be as irrelevant as your question. This is about defining what's appropriate conduct in a professional environment, not trying to matchmake randoms on the internet.

Nick

Administrator
It would be inappropriate whoever said it. Her reaction would be as irrelevant as your question. This is about defining what's appropriate conduct in a professional environment, not trying to matchmake randoms on the internet.

Why would her reaction be irrelevant? Surely it would / should be exactly the same whether it is the Elephant Man or Brad Pitt?

skybluetony176

giphy.gif

SBT

Why would her reaction be irrelevant? Surely it would / should be exactly the same whether it is the Elephant Man or Brad Pitt?

We all know that Brad Pitt would get away with it. But it wouldn't make it any more appropriate for him to try.

Nick

Administrator
We all know that Brad Pitt would get away with it. But it wouldn't make it any more appropriate for him to try.

So surely if that was the case, the woman kicking off about being judged on her looks etc would be judging on looks / age etc?

SBT

So surely if that was the case, the woman kicking off about being judged on her looks etc would be judging on looks / age etc?

In your magical, hypothetical scenario, then yes. But I don't think it's a great idea to say that we shouldn't condemn sexism because there's a chance women could enjoy it if the perpetrator happens to be a supermodel.

Nick

Administrator
In your magical, hypothetical scenario, then yes. But I don't think it's a great idea to say that we shouldn't condemn sexism because there's a chance women could enjoy it if the perpetrator happens to be a supermodel.

I am not condemning it. Just trying to see what other people think would happen if it was a Brad Pitt / Male Model saying it to her, I guess if it is ok for a good looking male model her own age but not an older bloke who isn't a male model that's fair enough. She wouldn't herself be judging on looks and age at all then.

Users who are viewing this thread