Council Statement due today (1 Viewer)

Serious mis-calculation by Duggins not to attend. The Council statement was designed to keep focus on SISU and he blew that out of the water by not going. If they couldn't trust him to say the right thing then let a colleague do the talking but to not go is a mistake

The council statement is pretty much as expected.
Agreed, Whilst I put most of the blame for all of this squarely with SISU why the Council and Duggins sent an officer and weren't represented by someone more senior is beyond belief. Duggins should have called their bluff and gone along with their fake plan for a new stadium.

Captain Dart

Can’t find out
OK I think after 2 phone calls I have worked it out.

1) All 18 wards have 1 councillor up for election.
2) This page lists the councillors by ward Councillors by Ward | Coventry City Council
3) This page lists the ward Mutton represents Councillors by Ward: Binley and Willenhall | Coventry City Council
4) All councillors have their terms of office listed, on the 3 wards I have checked there is one councillor with term 2014-18, one with 2015-19 & one 2016-20.
4) Due to a failure of web site maintenance due to CCC as far as I can see all councillors with terms listed 2014-18 were re-elected last year any term reading 2014-2018 should read 2017-21, I have formally complained to one of my councillors about this.
5) In each ward the councillor listed with term 2015-19 is the one up for re-election, therefore Clr Ram Laka's position is up for re-election in Binley.
6) No doubt someone living in the ward can provide info on May's candidates as leaflets have been delivered to my address and no doubt other wards are similar.
upload_2019-3-15_12-37-40.png

oldfiver

Agreed, Whilst I put most of the blame for all of this squarely with SISU why the Council and Duggins sent an officer and weren't represented by someone more senior is beyond belief. Duggins should have called their bluff and gone along with their fake plan for a new stadium.

Or did he know something that showed it wasn't a bluff? :emoji_hushed:

oldfiver

OK I think after 2 phone calls I have worked it out.

1) All 18 wards have 1 councillor up for election.
2) This page lists the councillors by ward Councillors by Ward | Coventry City Council
3) This page lists the ward Mutton represents Councillors by Ward: Binley and Willenhall | Coventry City Council
4) All councillors have their terms of office listed, on the 3 wards I have checked there is one councillor with term 2014-18, one with 2015-19 & one 2016-20.
4) Due to a failure of web site maintenance due to CCC as far as I can see all councillors with terms listed 2014-18 were re-elected last year any term reading 2014-2018 should read 2017-21, I have formally complained to one of my councillors about this.
5) In each ward the councillor listed with term 2015-19 is the one up for re-election, therefore Clr Ram Laka's position is up for re-election in Binley.
6) No doubt someone living in the ward can provide info on May's candidates as leaflets have been delivered to my address and no doubt other wards are similar.
View attachment 11746

upload_2019-3-15_13-1-22.png

Captain Dart

FYI this just popped up on my TL too..

Malaka

I've always found the best way to maximise interest in a sale and ensure you get the best price is to carry it out in secret and not bother marketing what you are trying to sell.

I can just imagine it, For Sale, one football stadium, no tenant. I'm sure Sphinx, Copsewood, Bedworth, Hinkley, Nuneaton and Coleshill had £35 mil to spend

Captain Dart

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just out of interest other than people getting some satisfaction from Duggins being voted out, how would it change anything for the better for CCFC? Both parties at the council unanimously backed everything so far in the dispute and losing 18 seats out of 54 wont change that. It isnt one person making the decisions. Not to mention the date of the elections is after the EFL vote

Fly_On_The_Wall

Duggins didn't attend because he knows they're no bluffing just couldn't face the truth, he's clearly got something to hide or has been lying to the CCFC fans all along!

fernandopartridge

Just out of interest other than people getting some satisfaction from Duggins being voted out, how would it change anything for the better for CCFC? Both parties at the council unanimously backed everything so far in the dispute and losing 18 seats out of 54 wont change that. It isnt one person making the decisions. Not to mention the date of the elections is after the EFL vote

Agreed, my point about the council's senior officers applies.

covcity4life

stick to numbers old man! with words your council bias is shown!

:)

GaryJones

My fear is that this is now boiling down to a clash of personalities with CCC (Duggins et al) on one side and SISU on the other.
Trouble is CCFC are the rope in this "Ricoh tug of war".

GaryJones

Wasps must be loving this!
Suddenly peoples ire it now directed at the Council and has been deflected away from Wasps.
Its taken a while but a clearer picture of the truth is starting to emerge.
Best thing the Council can do now is to find a huge Olive Tree and cut the thing down and start waving the branches at SISU & Wasps and sort this desperate situation out once and for all.

Skybluefaz

Coventry observer's open letter to Mr Duggins. Apologies if already posted.

OUR OPEN QUESTIONS TO GEORGE DUGGINS, COVENTRY CITY COUNCIL LEADER…

Why did you not personally attend the crucial meeting yesterday in Westminster aimed at keeping Coventry City Football Club in Coventry, instead sending the council’s solicitor Julie Newman to take notes when all other parties in the Ricoh Arena dispute sent their leading decision makers? Does this display leadership of the city by you?

This, coupled with your statement yesterday afternoon, has been widely understood by many as an indication that you have absolutely no intention as a local authority of taking any meaningful part in the process involving the secretary of state Jeremy Wright MP, in which he yesterday publicly urged all parties to ‘work together urgently’ to keep Coventry City in Coventry for next season. Is this the case? If so, please explain why. If the council IS to take part in the ongoing process, please make that clear now in the public interest.

Do you accept as a politician that very few multi-party disputes in history, including legal ones, have ever been resolved by one side caving in after being backed into a corner, and that in all walks of life resolutions require a negotiated settlement, with give and take on all sides, AFTER mediation or discussions?

Do you personally understand that the Coventry public and fans – even the anti-Sisu Sky Blue Trust representative on BBC Coventry and Warwickshire on Wednesday evening – want all sides to discuss the matter urgently and resolve it so that Coventry City stay in Coventry after this season? You are leader of the council that is the Ricoh Arena’s freehold owner and which has powers and influence across the city.

Do you understand that you personally with your actions will be held personally responsible alongside representatives from Sisu, Wasps and others if Coventry City is forced out of Coventry? You having taken part in collapsed talks in 2012 as then council deputy leader alongside then leader John Mutton about joint ownership of the Ricoh Arena with Coventry City.

Do you understand that the clearly divisive decision you personally supported alongside colleagues to sell the Ricoh Arena to London Wasps Holdings Limited in 2014 on a 250-year lease not offered to Coventry City (whatever bargaining positions were expressed at various times) continues to greatly financially disadvantage the club over ownership and revenues, and that is why it is still being legally contested?

Do you personally want, as some failed campaigners seem to ‘talk up’, a phoenix club emerging at the Ricoh Arena stadium playing non-league football, with Coventry City under Sisu and Mark Robins frozen out of the city and distressed by many fans’ non-attendance at a groundshare elsewhere, as a high risk strategy for potentially ousting Sisu? If not, please state so categorically now that you do not want this even more divisive outcome. Please also categorically state that you understand, as most fans and the public clearly do, that this would be a disaster for our historic football club.

Are you aware that a leaked council email we published in 2016 proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the council has indeed sought to block Coventry City’s attempts to have a new stadium – in this case the previous joint exploration between CCFC and Coventry rugby club of a groundshare at a greatly expanded Butts Park Arena? The email stated the council would block all professional football played at such a development as the council-supported Ricoh project needed to be protected.

Finally, Wasps will alongside Coventry City Council be attending the MIPIM international property conference in Cannes, France this year to showcase the city’s regeneration, with Coventry being European City of Sport 2019. Were Coventry City Football Club ever invited by the council for the event?

skybluegod

Coventry observer's open letter to Mr Duggins. Apologies if already posted.

OUR OPEN QUESTIONS TO GEORGE DUGGINS, COVENTRY CITY COUNCIL LEADER…

Why did you not personally attend the crucial meeting yesterday in Westminster aimed at keeping Coventry City Football Club in Coventry, instead sending the council’s solicitor Julie Newman to take notes when all other parties in the Ricoh Arena dispute sent their leading decision makers? Does this display leadership of the city by you?

This, coupled with your statement yesterday afternoon, has been widely understood by many as an indication that you have absolutely no intention as a local authority of taking any meaningful part in the process involving the secretary of state Jeremy Wright MP, in which he yesterday publicly urged all parties to ‘work together urgently’ to keep Coventry City in Coventry for next season. Is this the case? If so, please explain why. If the council IS to take part in the ongoing process, please make that clear now in the public interest.

Do you accept as a politician that very few multi-party disputes in history, including legal ones, have ever been resolved by one side caving in after being backed into a corner, and that in all walks of life resolutions require a negotiated settlement, with give and take on all sides, AFTER mediation or discussions?

Do you personally understand that the Coventry public and fans – even the anti-Sisu Sky Blue Trust representative on BBC Coventry and Warwickshire on Wednesday evening – want all sides to discuss the matter urgently and resolve it so that Coventry City stay in Coventry after this season? You are leader of the council that is the Ricoh Arena’s freehold owner and which has powers and influence across the city.

Do you understand that you personally with your actions will be held personally responsible alongside representatives from Sisu, Wasps and others if Coventry City is forced out of Coventry? You having taken part in collapsed talks in 2012 as then council deputy leader alongside then leader John Mutton about joint ownership of the Ricoh Arena with Coventry City.

Do you understand that the clearly divisive decision you personally supported alongside colleagues to sell the Ricoh Arena to London Wasps Holdings Limited in 2014 on a 250-year lease not offered to Coventry City (whatever bargaining positions were expressed at various times) continues to greatly financially disadvantage the club over ownership and revenues, and that is why it is still being legally contested?

Do you personally want, as some failed campaigners seem to ‘talk up’, a phoenix club emerging at the Ricoh Arena stadium playing non-league football, with Coventry City under Sisu and Mark Robins frozen out of the city and distressed by many fans’ non-attendance at a groundshare elsewhere, as a high risk strategy for potentially ousting Sisu? If not, please state so categorically now that you do not want this even more divisive outcome. Please also categorically state that you understand, as most fans and the public clearly do, that this would be a disaster for our historic football club.

Are you aware that a leaked council email we published in 2016 proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the council has indeed sought to block Coventry City’s attempts to have a new stadium – in this case the previous joint exploration between CCFC and Coventry rugby club of a groundshare at a greatly expanded Butts Park Arena? The email stated the council would block all professional football played at such a development as the council-supported Ricoh project needed to be protected.

Finally, Wasps will alongside Coventry City Council be attending the MIPIM international property conference in Cannes, France this year to showcase the city’s regeneration, with Coventry being European City of Sport 2019. Were Coventry City Football Club ever invited by the council for the event?

It's a lot of very good points, but CCC will never admit to so much, as the letter only attacks CCC.

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

chiefdave

You can't vote the whole council out so voting Duggins out, as the leader and one who is doing nothing to assist CCFC, would be a way of sending a message.

chiefdave

To be fair with his last point, can anyone see joy sapalla being a positive influence at the business conference
In all seriousness CCFC is likely to be one of the brands, for want of a better word, most closely associated with the city globally. Having the club there, maybe a couple of former players, to do the handshaking and photo ops certainly wouldn't do any harm but as with everything the council are involved in Wasps get an invite and the football club is pushed aside.

chiefdave

I can just imagine it, For Sale, one football stadium, no tenant. I'm sure Sphinx, Copsewood, Bedworth, Hinkley, Nuneaton and Coleshill had £35 mil to spend
But again this is something where people want it both ways.

SISU get ridiculed for assuming the football club was the only possible option for the stadium.

CCC are then excused by the same people for conducting a sale with Wasps in secret as there would be no other bidders. What is that based on?

Is there any reason AEG, who have shown interest in the Ricoh previously, wouldn't have been interested. Would fit well in their portfolio and they have no Midlands venue currently. They also have a habit of buying and then running successfully teams who play in stadiums and arenas they own.

Maybe the NEC Group would have been interested. Long gone are the days they only operated at the NEC site.

Could there have been a potential future owner of CCFC who would have purchased the stadium hoping it would put them in prime positon for a future takeover.

The trust could have spearheaded a fans bid to ensure the clubs future was secure.

Maybe there would have been pension funds or other investors interested purely as an investment opportunity.

You know how you find these things out? You bring in people experienced in selling these types of venues and market it nationally and internationally.

We're told for Wasps it was the Ricoh or bust. Therefore there's no reason to believe if they weren't allowed to conclude a deal in secret they would have pulled out.

NorthernWisdom

Worked for Charlton ref: returning to the Valley. Showed there was an appetite for the club, meant the other councillors realised this and bended to public opinion as a result (probably in fear of losing their own seats!)

FWIW, as said previously, I think more time for a coherent strategy would be needed for such an effort, so as not to risk it showing as no interest in CCFC.

fernandopartridge

My fear is that this is now boiling down to a clash of personalities with CCC (Duggins et al) on one side and SISU on the other.
Trouble is CCFC are the rope in this "Ricoh tug of war".
What do you mean boiling down to? It was ever thus. The council's former leaders hate SISU and what they represent i.e. hedge funds and high finance. (They can ignore it for Wasps though as they're better at PR)

Nick

Administrator
Does every councillor really think that if the club goes bust or moves away after they have refused to meet or mediate that they would still get away with just the "it was SISU" line?

Think it would be pretty naive judging the last couple of months and the way public opinion seems to be shifting a bit towards "everybody sort it out" and not "just sisu"

Nick

Administrator
Ha I've just put it on.

He is just hiding behind the legals.

The solicitor went because she has the authority to accept sisu dropping the legals.

He sounds like he is going to pass out or has just run a marathon.

He says it wasn't a snub, it didn't need him to go.

He isn't in to gesture politics. (Strange, him chasing Aldi contradicts)

chiefdave

This is a shambles. He's not even on live and he's still crumbling under the pressure.

Got an easy and surely expected question first up. Will the council support the club in building a new ground and he couldn't' answer.

chiefdave

He's dropped a bollock there hasn't he? Just admitted that SISU has asked the council in the past about specific sites.

Users who are viewing this thread