Council Statement due today (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

First and foremost ,like it or not ,the rent demanded has to be acceptable to Wasps - given the situation does any one seriously think they wont seek to increase it?
Why? We are told we are insignificant to Wasps finances and they don't need us there. Why then would they need to jack the rent up?

SkyBlueZack

is it 23 days for starters...... what about cup games for example - are they extra rent or just extra match day expenses? That is £4347 per game plus match day expenses

What are the hours that the stadium is available to CCFC? and what is included in the £100k which areas?

Is £100k commercial rent or a discounted or concessionary rent? I have no idea if it is one and the same but it would seem to imply not. If its the latter how does CCFC argue it should be the same when claiming at the same time it should be a commercially acceptable rent? - that means commercially acceptable to both sides. It is also a short term rent which tend to be more expensive

First and foremost ,like it or not ,the rent demanded has to be acceptable to Wasps - given the situation does any one seriously think they wont seek to increase it? The rental figure to be paid is not CCFC's to control.

Add to that Wasps need to improve profitability. I think Wasps were paying significantly more than that in rent for a deal similar to what CCFC are paying when they were at Wycombe - likely to colour their thinking you would guess.

If it is a rise of say £200k pa in rent i don't think the EFL will be saying "we understand if you want to reject it"

I didn’t include cup games for obvious reasons. We could have an away tie in both the league cup and fa cup and be knocked out. As for the Checkatrade games, we make a loss on those I think?

fernandopartridge

is it 23 days for starters...... what about cup games for example - are they extra rent or just extra match day expenses? That is £4347 per game plus match day expenses

What are the hours that the stadium is available to CCFC? and what is included in the £100k which areas?

Is £100k commercial rent or a discounted or concessionary rent? I have no idea if it is one and the same but it would seem to imply not. If its the latter how does CCFC argue it should be the same when claiming at the same time it should be a commercially acceptable rent? - that means commercially acceptable to both sides. It is also a short term rent which tend to be more expensive

First and foremost ,like it or not ,the rent demanded has to be acceptable to Wasps - given the situation does any one seriously think they wont seek to increase it? The rental figure to be paid is not CCFC's to control.

Add to that Wasps need to improve profitability. I think Wasps were paying significantly more than that in rent for a deal similar to what CCFC are paying when they were at Wycombe - likely to colour their thinking you would guess.

If it is a rise of say £200k pa in rent i don't think the EFL will be saying "we understand if you want to reject it"

I agree with you, but in some respects Wasps also need to be careful about their position. If they suddenly find that they've got an unused stadium for 25 days a year they could struggle. Yes hosting the football has cost attached to it but it does bring in revenue, albeit at a lower spend per head but lower cost (I read on the Wasps forum that the fan village wasn't even open for a recent home game, that'll hit their revenue). It isn't easy to just find replacement events to utilise the arena for, particularly at short notice.

Realistically though, i would be seriously surprised if the £100k p/a rent figure remained.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
We were paying £1.2m and approx £400K a year in additional charges while in the Championship. That was for use of the Ricoh with primacy as well as the club offices, club shop and ticket office all being based permanently at the Ricoh. I don't think there is anyone who still claims that wasn't far too high.

Compared to that would £300K and approx £850K a year in additional charges while in League One (or hopefully the Championship) for rental of the stadium bowl approx 25 days a year for a few hours with no primacy be a good deal?

Is £1.15m for matchday use of the stadium really a significantly better than what we got previously for £1.6m?

Where did you get £850k from ?

If it was from Tim Fishers view from the boardroom vs Blackpool I suggest you read it again and think about it. Most of that figure isn't even paid by the club its paid by the fans

chiefdave

Its the figure from last season given by the club and confirmed by my contact at ACL.

If you're trying to argue its inflated by matchday F&B then you're arguing against your own previously made point when you've said the revenues from that for football matches is insignificant.

Still I think we can all see what the groundwork is being laid for. A hike in the rent by Wasps and the club being expected to swallow it without question.

chiefdave

It still can’t be true. We only pay 100k.
Amazing people still believe that. Or that the rent now can be compared to the rent previously.

Even if you assume Fishers figures include every penny spent by supporters you're still comparing somewhere in the region of £.75m against £1.6m. Given the loss of primacy, stands closed, loss of offices, shop and ticket office I think you could definitely make an argument the deal is as bad as the one we had originally.

And of course both figures discount the other value having CCFC adds for the leaseholder. As one example do we really the companies who have entered into contracts with Wasps with this uncertainty going on haven't put in clauses relating to us no longer being there?

Somewhat concerning that talk of a large rent increase is coming at a time people are hearing rumours of Wasps backing down on their no deal without dropping the legals stance.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Tim Fisher - vs Blackpool

"there is seemingly one point of confusion upon which the club would like to add clarity. We have all seen published statements that the Club contributes around £100,000 each year to the landlords stadium finances. However, for the avoidance of doubt, during the 17/18 season, the Club contributed somewhere in the region of £930,000 to the landlord’s stadium finances. This included the licence fee of £80,000 (this was League 2 – in League 1 it is £100,000), ACL matchday costs (e.g floodlights, undersoil heating etc), payments made to IEC (the stadium-catering Joint Venture company) and revenue from Food & Beverage sales on our matchdays."

Clearly he included F&B figures in his calculation for the total in 2017/18. And it isn't what Wasps make out of it, just the turnover there is a big chunk of costs to account for, and the £950k assumes the figures are net of VAT

match day costs are largely met by costs wasps have to pay out - although there probably some mark up

Less than 3% of turnover in total for Wasps. £950k out of £32m Doesn't change my previous points at all

Not saying the club wont question a rent rise, they just have little control over it other than moving out

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Just a thought. I'm not sure it will be in the CCC's interest (or tax-payers) if SISU call off the hounds. Would that mean that CCC (if they won) would not be able to claim costs back from SISU? Do you think this might have any weight?
I'm sure the courts have received an application for costs incurred thus far.

chiefdave

Not saying the club wont question a rent rise, they just have little control over it other than moving out
As I've already posted even if you want to completely discount that, although I'm not sure those who have signed contracts with Wasps would agree that the loss of over quarter of a million customers over 23 event days should be discounted, you're still have a much higher total figure than people claim.

A figure they then go on to compare against the old deal despite the club getting so much less and incurring additional costs to locate elsewhere.

Personally I would think if a 200% increase is on the cards the club should be getting more back in return.

Maybe the best option is as in the dispute between Ipswich and their local council. An independent assessor came in and set the rent at £110K.

chiefdave

I'm sure the courts have received an application for costs incurred thus far.
Think the council were awarded £330K costs for JR1 and the council & Wasps have already been awarded some costs for JR2.

I suppose there's always the prospect of them not being paid but I suspect the FL would treat it in the same manner as the debt to ACL if SISU went down the administration route.

olderskyblue

And of course both figures discount the other value having CCFC adds for the leaseholder. As one example do we really the companies who have entered into contracts with Wasps with this uncertainty going on haven't put in clauses relating to us no longer being there?

Somewhat concerning that talk of a large rent increase is coming at a time people are hearing rumours of Wasps backing down on their no deal without dropping the legals stance.

What companies are you suggesting have entered contracts with these types of clauses chief?

What rumours of Wasps backing down? Have I missed this on one of the threads?

chiefdave

fernandopartridge

What companies are you suggesting have entered contracts with these types of clauses chief?

What rumours of Wasps backing down? Have I missed this on one of the threads?

There is no way that a contract would contain a clause that voided a contract due to the actions of a third party out of the control of either party to the contract.

chiefdave

There is no way that a contract would contain a clause that voided a contract due to the actions of a third party out of the control of either party to the contract.
I'm not talking about it voiding it, I'm talking about there being a change in the value of the contract and a financial penally for Wasps associated with that.

An example. Lets say you're the car park management company. You pay Wasps up front for the rights to run the car park which includes 23 Cov matches, lets say that's a short contract so only 5 years. The potential revenue is £2.3m. The loss of that revenue would be significant.

So either Wasps have sold the contracts on the basis CCFC won't be there. Unlikely as they'd be depriving themselves of revenue. Or they have sold them on the basis the club will be there. Even the slightest amount of due diligence by the company taking on the contract will show there is a clear risk and that would be covered by the contract.

Sbarcher

Think the council were awarded £330K costs for JR1 and the council & Wasps have already been awarded some costs for JR2.

I suppose there's always the prospect of them not being paid but I suspect the FL would treat it in the same manner as the debt to ACL if SISU went down the administration route.
Will Wasps be able to claim costs? After all they are only an "interested party" and as such freely chose to have representation without direct involvement.

fernandopartridge

I'm not talking about it voiding it, I'm talking about there being a change in the value of the contract and a financial penally for Wasps associated with that.

An example. Lets say you're the car park management company. You pay Wasps up front for the rights to run the car park which includes 23 Cov matches, lets say that's a short contract so only 5 years. The potential revenue is £2.3m. The loss of that revenue would be significant.

So either Wasps have sold the contracts on the basis CCFC won't be there. Unlikely as they'd be depriving themselves of revenue. Or they have sold them on the basis the club will be there. Even the slightest amount of due diligence by the company taking on the contract will show there is a clear risk and that would be covered by the contract.

Again, I don't think Wasps would sell contracts on that basis, but equally it would decrease the value of the contracts because of it.

olderskyblue

Again, I don't think Wasps would sell contracts on that basis, but equally it would decrease the value of the contracts because of it.

And given the history of the club over so many years, anyone taking a contract would surely know it carries the risk of CCFC leaving... I mean, it was Plan A until recently, oh, and is now plan A again.

olderskyblue

chiefdave

In that case do you want to buy a contract off me to sell your goods at some events I have scheduled that may or may not happen. You have to pay up front and you don't get anything back if the events never take place ;)

Users who are viewing this thread