Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

mrtrench

Not everyone thinks that Israel made the virus.

Gazolba

Everyone relax.
We're all going to be fine.
I just heard the Pope has prayed for an end to the pandemic.

Otis

'everyone should avoid social contact'.

Yet, the schools remain open and therefore parents have to take and pick up their children from school, which results in doing anything but avoiding social contact.

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

Yet, the schools remain open and therefore parents have to take and pick up their children from school, which results in doing anything but avoid social contact.

Yes I think everyone on the country, apart from Boris and his two sidekicks, can see the flaw in the governments stated position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4439

Yet, the schools remain open and therefore parents have to take and pick up their children from school, which results in doing anything but avoiding social contact.

Yes but we know that this could otherwise bring the economy to a halt, as well as seriously impact family incomes. Oldies isolate whereas the younger and their offspring are far less vulnerable.

Last edited by a moderator:

skybluetony176

This is getting silly now. One of my children presented symptoms over the weekend and as per the government’s advice this morning we’re keeping her off school this week, I’ve been to work, the wife has stayed at home (because we have a child off not because she has symptoms) and my other child has been to school. Now, my sick child showed full signs of recovery overnight this morning when she woke up so what do we do now? Do we all have to stay off now for 2 weeks? Because she seemed to have recovered this morning is the slate wiped clean? Why can’t we just get my daughter tested so we know one way or the other whether she had it or not? Why couldn’t the government come to this decision yesterday as that would have made the situation clear before the working week started? How many families are now in the same situation as us because this information came in the evening of the working day of the week? I know 2 other families personally who are also scratching their heads.

skybluetony176

Even my 12 year old has just said “wait, you can’t go to work if you can help it but you have to go to school? What planet is he on?”

Otis

Yes but we know that this could otherwise bring the economy to a halt, as well as seriously impact family incomes. Oldies isolate whereas the younger and their offspring are far less vulnerable.
Get that, but I could catch it from my daughter and I have no choice but to go and see my dad, who will be in isolation.

He is 90 and I will have to do his shopping for him etc.

If I have to isolate, he is buggered.

D

Deleted member 4439

Even my 12 year old has just said “wait, you can’t go to work if you can help it but you have to go to school? What planet is he on?”

So how is a family who depend on low income from non-office jobs supposed to survive a school shutdown?

Sky_Blue_Daz

To be fair schools should be shut down now in my opinion.
They could email lessons or even in theory bring the Easter holidays forward and add on the whitsun half term and giving 3 weeks holidays

Otis

So how is a family who depend on low income from non-office jobs supposed to survive a school shutdown?
People will already not be surviving though. So many work in retail and then pubs and cafes, theatres and cinemas and restaurants etc.

shmmeee

I dunno avoiding social contact is my main aim at the school gates.

shmmeee

Get that, but I could catch it from my daughter and I have no choice but to go and see my dad, who will be in isolation.

He is 90 and I will have to do his shopping for him etc.

If I have to isolate, he is buggered.

Tough but official advice is you shouldn’t be in contact with your dad and should be leaving his shopping outside the door.

I’m just glad my parents don’t need daily care. God knows what I’d do otherwise.

Otis

Tough but official advice is you shouldn’t be in contact with your dad and should be leaving his shopping outside the door.

I’m just glad my parents don’t need daily care. God knows what I’d do otherwise.
So how does he know when the shopping is there? He is all but deaf.

D

Deleted member 4439

So how does he know when the shopping is there? He is all but deaf.

That's so incredibly difficult for you Otis. Myself I'd take all the precautions, do that visit, do that shopping. But only you know how you and your Dad feel about it.

Ian1779

This is where the government need to intervene. Is the notion of an universal basic income that ludicrous in such unprecedented times?

Ian1779

From what I can tell they are 'advising' people to stop, but they aren't 'telling' people not to.
Avoids having to compensate/support etc.

Protect the money first... the Tory way. Even half the Tories are scratching their heads at it.

Grendel

This is where the government need to intervene. Is the notion of an universal basic income that ludicrous in such unprecedented times?

No government has across the globe has it?

Grendel

Avoids having to compensate/support etc.

Protect the money first... the Tory way. Even half the Tories are scratching their heads at it.

Fake news Ian only 5% would ever take out such indemnity anyway

CCFCSteve

So there has been a complete u-turn in 48 hours then??

Not sure it’s a U turn Sick Boy. We knew these types of measures were going to come in, it was just when and to what extent. Every country is updating and ramping up their responses (pretty much on a daily basis) dependent on their own data, requirements etc

What I was shocked at is the encouragement to avoid any unnecessary social contact (avoiding bars, restaurants etc) with immediate effect. I was hoping this could be avoided with the exception of elderly and those with pre- existing conditions. The impact of this is huge !

Otis

I’ll help
No need, Pete. Thanks so much for the offer. I will keep going over until I can no longer do so, i.e., until/if I have to self-isolate.

I am fine at the mo, though my daughter has a cough. She has had it now for three weeks solid though. Certain it is not related.

Users who are viewing this thread