Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I've just read on the red button that Austria are going to ban crowds bigger that 5.
You'd be pissed off if you were 6th at the local bus queue.

Last edited:

Grendel

I've just read on the red button that Austria are going to ban crowds bigger that 5.
You'd be pissed off if you were 6th at the local bus queue.

Tudor Rose can stay open then at least

Ian1779

I think the biggest question arising from Coronavirus is will we actually learn anything about the delicate balance of life. Look at the immediate response to the virus compared to something like global warming. Still, as long as we have people like Trump in charge who’s currently wanking himself of on twitter because the stock markets have seen recovery so Coronavirus looses, Trump wins I’m guessing not.

This is the same Trump that tried to buy/bribe exclusive rights for a vaccine from Germany.

He truly is a c**t.

Otis

Newspapers today are just jam-packed of doom mongering, apololyptic horror stories.

That's not going to make people panic is it.

Screenshot_20200316-050739.png

Screenshot_20200316-050752.png

Screenshot_20200316-050830.png
Screenshot_20200316-050839.png Screenshot_20200316-050918.png

skyblue1991

No one has said 4months isolation for the elderly.

The health exec on the Andrew Marr show said 'weeks or possibly months' which isn't an official guideline.

Still, it doesn't sell papers or generic Internet traffic otherwise...

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Otis

Nope, hasn't been said yet, but seemingly it is on the cards

Could do without these scaremongering headlines though.

We are trying to discourage panic bulk-buying aren't we?

Headlines like this are just going to make it more widespread.

Marty

Nope, hasn't been said yet, but seemingly it is on the cards

Could do without these scaremongering headlines though.

We are trying to discourage panic bulk-buying aren't we?

Headlines like this are just going to make it more widespread.

Headlines like that and the public panic are exactly the reason we're not told about things (aliens).

CCFCSteve

Headlines like that and the public panic are exactly the reason we're not told about things (aliens).

Spot on, the misinformation and panic encouraging headlines in media and on social media is a joke.

That’s why I’m trying to reduce reading about it and coming on certain threads as people just trot the same arguments (some prejudiced, some not)/same stories.

We know the governments strategy, it’s complex (not just herd immunity, it’s still softening the curve as well - main aim). We know some experts and non experts agree with it, others don’t. We know the government is going to ban social gatherings, close schools and request self isolation for the elderly, it’s just when and for how long.

Ps other ‘experts’ only have a fraction of the info, data and understanding of the plan of the government and their advisors

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

It is definitely getting a bit wearing waking up & checking phone only to find a wall to wall avalanche of stories about how everyone over 60 or with a medical condition is going to die & how the world is about to crumble. At work, saw about 5 cars during a 1 hr journey- very surreal.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I heard on GMB this morning that the Republic of Ireland doesn't have a NHS.
Now that I didn't know.

Ring Of Steel

I heard on GMB this morning that the Republic of Ireland doesn't have a NHS.
Now that I didn't know.

There is no "NHS", thats right, but you will get care just the same as you do in England, for free apart from some basic charges for things like GP visits. Its paid for through taxes- so so its not right to say that there is no free healthcare even though its not 'called' anything. Health insurance is huge though, its a two tier system with Public & Private and as I have kids and- rightly or wrongly- I wanted peace of mind, I went with the private. I have often wondered why I bother but there you go. I pay €196 per month and that pays for 50% cost of all GPs, dentists fees (€60) and if god forbid anyone got hospitalised then we'd be whisked straight into a 'private room' with no delays at all. But 9/10 months its money spent for zilch. Thats not a lot to pay comparatively- you can pay thousands per month if you want 24/7 readiness for anything that could ever possibly happen and round the clock access to a doctor- we're talking silly money, I've seen €3,000 per month quotes before.

At the same time, a lot of people don't have any insurance at all because they believe the care you get in the Public Health system is no different to the care you get with, and see it as a huge scam. They may well be right, the insurance companies sell fear, and we have the same issues here as there with overcrowding, waiting lists etc, so like I say, rightly or wrongly I went with it.

tisza

as I have kids and- rightly or wrongly- I wanted peace of mind, I went with the private. I have often wondered why I bother but there you go.
I did the same here in Hungary for the same reasons but also the "national health service" here is poor. Best doctors either private or emigrated, facilities are poor,e.g. atm don't even have correct facemasks for doctors & nurses treating coronavirus patients.
When my father-in-law got cancer I was shocked by the hospital conditions etc. so took the whole family private.

shmmeee

I did the same here in Hungary for the same reasons but also the "national health service" here is poor. Best doctors either private or emigrated, facilities are poor,e.g. atm don't even have correct facemasks for doctors & nurses treating coronavirus patients.
When my father-in-law got cancer I was shocked by the hospital conditions etc. so took the whole family private.

Funny you should use that example, I was just reading a thread from a GP saying we’ve got the same problem here!

tisza

Funny you should use that example, I was just reading a thread from a GP saying we’ve got the same problem here!
shocking isn't it. There's a case here of some doctors and nurses being quarantined in a hospital as they treated a patient with the virus without having the proper protective equipment available.

CCFCSteve

Fair play, there will be some comforting acts of kindness/generosity in these difficult times

ps certainly better than the Chinese government response, considering they initially suppressed the release of info about the virus which impacted their own/others ability to contain it.

I don’t blame them for the virus itself but they could/should have been open about it earlier. Interesting (and brutal) article on the regime and their response....

Xi Jinping has buried the truth about coronavirus | Ma Jian

Gazolba

You either take action before it gets bad or wait until it gets bad before you take action.
I know which way governments operate and I know which way I operate.

Users who are viewing this thread