Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Not sure it’s a U turn Sick Boy. We knew these types of measures were going to come in, it was just when and to what extent. Every country is updating and ramping up their responses (pretty much on a daily basis) dependent on their own data, requirements etc

What I was shocked at is the encouragement to avoid any unnecessary social contact (avoiding bars, restaurants etc) with immediate effect. I was hoping this could be avoided with the exception of elderly and those with pre- existing conditions. The impact of this is huge !
It is a u turn, it isn't that long ago he was saying "take it on the chin"

Sick Boy

It seems like the government there have fucked up big time, unfortunately I think it’s heading the same way as here.

Gazolba

I'm amazed to hear that things are so chaotic in the UK.
I would have thought with everyone over there constantly criticizing Donald Trump's handling of the situation in the US that everything would be proceeding perfectly smoothly over there.

lifeskyblue

I'm amazed to hear that things are so chaotic in the UK.
I would have thought with everyone over there constantly criticizing Donald Trump's handling of the situation in the US that everything would be proceeding perfectly smoothly over there.

Just as chaotic...we have mini Trump aka Boris and his closest adviser Cummings. Dither delay and out of step with most of the world in an attempt to flatten the rate of infection (or at least that’s what we are told. On Sunday a public appeal to car manufacturers et al to make ventilators for hospitals....the health secretary had just realised that, despite warnings for years, we were chronically short. Thank goodness our life is in their hands...not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyblue1991

7a626116aaf54957375ebe2676538362.gif

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

I really think the schools will be shut by the end of the week .
In my opinion those doing Gcses should have the mock results and course work grades evaluated to give them their grades , it’s stressful enough but with this added into the mix it can’t be doing much for their mental health . If adults don’t know what to do how can kids

LastGarrison

Fifth year medical students at UK universities are now effectively being asked to become doctors. The situation is spiralling out of control. There is a serious shortage of doctors and nurses in the NHS but more worryingly, if this virus does become a recurring phenomenon, then the NHS may not be able to cope.
Going into Uni’s to try and get not only doctors but also nurses pushed through ASAP so they can go straight onto wards.

No physio/OT being done in most hospitals and they’re being asked to work on wards instead.

My Missus and her team have been moved out of OD and redistributed into other areas of the NHS where they can be more effective in the current climate. She found out yesterday and starts her new role today.

Basically all hands on deck.

CCFCSteve

They won't even requisition private hospitals, they're in thrall to the market at the cost of everybody

see attached - NHS in talks with private sector for coronavirus help
(Date of article - 10
March - before labour/unions started mentioning it, by then it was pretty much agreed as shown below)

The government will rent 8000 private beds - 8,000 private hospital beds to be rented to NHS for £2.4million per day

It is a u turn, it isn't that long ago he was saying "take it on the chin"

I think you are talking about the fake video circulated on social media. See attached which details that he didn’t say we should ‘take it on the chin’ at all. He said some would suggest we do that but his/our aim is to soften the peak.
Here is the transcript of what Boris Johnson said on This Morning about the new coronavirusHere is the transcript of what Boris Johnson said on This Morning about the new coronavirus

(Also note date of interview ie 5 March which goes against all the ‘take it on the chin’/herd immunity/let everyone get it theorists - yes as part of softening the peak many would get herd immunity but that wasn’t the primary aim until the last 48 hours as some are suggesting. The government has just ramped up its response/measures (which it always said it would do) after remodelled numbers show the peak is coming sooner.

On Friday night (albeit after a couple of beers) I had to call out ROS, not because of his views on the governments actions/inactions (that’s each to their own) but because he said Cummings was behind the government strategy. I said this couldn’t be the case as I’d listened to an interview with Mayor Khan earlier last week when he said (live on LBC) that he was taking the same advice from the same medical/scientific advisors (directly and undiluted). I was then told I was deflecting.

I’ve said numerous times that these are worrying time’s for all. You and others may disagree with the timing of the government implementation of certain measures, their preparedness or not, but let’s cut out the lies and political bullshit on social media as all they do is cause more panic/worry.

CCFCSteve

Going into Uni’s to try and get not only doctors but also nurses pushed through ASAP so they can go straight onto wards.

No physio/OT being done in most hospitals and they’re being asked to work on wards instead.

My Missus and her team have been moved out of OD and redistributed into other areas of the NHS where they can be more effective in the current climate. She found out yesterday and starts her new role today.

Good to hear and good luck to her and her team mate.

shmmeee

In my opinion those doing Gcses should have the mock results and course work grades evaluated to give them their grades , it’s stressful enough but with this added into the mix it can’t be doing much for their mental health . If adults don’t know what to do how can kids

Shit. Just realised I’ve lost my second job. No way exams are going ahead.

Otis

Schools should be shut in my opinion.

Word has it that the virus doesn't hit children so hard and that they only get mild symptoms.

Fine, but these children catching the virus are then going home to adults who are much more likely to have health issues and be at risk, and who may well have been avoiding as much social contact as possible.

I don't see why we are sending children to school to bring the virus back home with them.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Schools shout be shut in my opinion.

Word has it that the virus doesn't hit children so hard and that they only get mild symptoms.

Fine, but these children catching the virus are then going home to adults who are much more likely to have health issues and be at risk, and who may well have been avoiding as much social contact as possible.

I don't see why we are sending children to school to bring the virus back home with them.

I think they’ll keep a skeleton staff in for key workers children and shut the rest by next week.

clint van damme

Schools shout be shut in my opinion.

They've stopped kids football. Seems strange to stop them running around with each other in the open air but OK to be cooped up in a classroom.
Of course there is the question of childcare if schools are shut. Lad I work with says he will have to go off if schools shut to watch his kids.

Nick

Administrator
They've stopped kids football. Seems strange to stop them running around with each other in the open air but OK to be cooped up in a classroom.
Of course there is the question of childcare if schools are shut. Lad I work with says he will have to go off if schools shut to watch his kids.
Millions of people won't be able to work and will need to look after their kids. Who's going to pay them?

Grendel

Millions of people won't be able to work and will need to look after their kids. Who's going to pay them?

No one but don’t worry just “stay safe”

CCFCSteve

Not just this either, it’s how many parents work in NHS and social care sectors (where people are desperately needed). It’s then weighing up the risk of those parents catching it (from their kids if they remain at school) V immediate benefits to the industries if they remain at work. All of this would have to be considered in the modelling I’m guessing

People aren’t looking at the detail behind most of these decisions and just shouting at social media (not you shmmeee/Clint, I’m thinking of others)

Walsgrave

People really could not make it up. For years students on healthcare/medical courses have had their support removed through for instance the cuts to the NHS bursary, though thankfully the latter has been partly reinstated. So basically, the UK has for the past 10 years been operating on the proviso that there would be no epidemics or pandemics, and is now paying the price.

chiefdave

With the schools can't they just shift the holidays around? Appreciate its inconvenient but isn't everything at the moment. If they took half term, easter and summer weeks off now you're pretty much up to the end of June.

Buys you a bit of time and if things are no better by July the school year is screwed anyway.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I work with children who are on ventilators , have tracheostomy’s and require suction and would consider then very very vulnerable

Fortunately I’m on annual leave for the next 2 weeks and would usually volunteer to cover shifts but feel if I had the slightest of symptoms I would be putting them at risk

So for me it’s a case of staying indoors , checking in on my parents and In laws and Occasional dog walking

Marty

I didn't bother to vote because of the choice but there was nothing standout about Johnson whatsoever. It was bad enough having him in charge during something as complex as Brexit, with this thrown into the mix there is reason to be seriously worried with him in charge.

Not the right time nor place to have this debate so I'll just leave it.

Are things as bad as they say over there?

Otis

Not just this either, it’s how many parents work in NHS and social care sectors (where people are desperately needed). It’s then weighing up the risk of those parents catching it (from their kids if they remain at school) V immediate benefits to the industries if they remain at work. All of this would have to be considered in the modelling I’m guessing

People aren’t looking at the detail behind most of these decisions and just shouting at social media (not you shmmeee/Clint, I’m thinking of others)
So, what is every other country that has shut its schools down doing?

85 countries have closed their schools. What about all the parents working there?

Ring Of Steel

So, what is every other country that has shut its schools down doing?

85 countries have closed their schools. What about all the parents working there?

mine are just about old enough to stay on their own if worst comes to worst. We have a couple of families we’re ‘child pooling’ with, there’s always at least one parent off- which obviously is a risk but what else can you do, contact is limited to 3 families, 3 houses and none of us are in the vulnerable category. Not sure we can do too much more. Work from home is very widespread here anyway, but my WiFi is shit.

Users who are viewing this thread