Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The approach we are taking is literally the keep calm and carry on, we know it’s gonna spread and we’re gonna have to power through it with up to 80% having some type of it...

Very risky from Boris compared to say China and the way they have dealt with it

Bloody hell - that's almost criticism of Johnson from Dom there!

TBH we can't deal with it the way China have - the state has so much control they can pretty much do as they please. Try that here and you'd probably have a riot on your hands.

Ring Of Steel

Not understanding how you plan for pandemics and running around telling everyone that 48 million people in the uk will get the virus is both bad and morally bankrupt.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
So you are saying that Angela Merkel is morally bankrupt? (And the other leaders who gave the facts out)

David O'Day

So you are saying that Angela Merkel is morally bankrupt? (And the other leaders who gave the facts out)
She to didn't say it was a definite amount. The people who claim she did are morally bankrupt

Sky Blue Pete

Not understanding how you plan for pandemics and running around telling everyone that 48 million people in the uk will get the virus is both bad and morally bankrupt.

You’re such an arse or are being one. I put figures to his percentage that is all

Grendel

“He says his top planning assumption is 80% of people getting the illness.”

That’s from the Guardian live blog. He being Chris Whitty.

But you then have to factor in a death rate of 10 against the 10,000 infected you can’t equate the death rate against reported cases

Ring Of Steel

She to didn't say it was a definite amount. The people who claim she did are morally bankrupt

Splitting hairs and playing semantics doesn’t get you out of the mess you’ve created for yourself.

Merkel said that 70% of the population could get coronavirus, similarly Varadkar told his country that up to 80% could contract the illness. Straight talking, factual.

You are saying that for doing this they are “morally bankrupt”, and you are completely wrong- I suspect you know it, but this weird crusade you’re on to disprove everything that the whole world is saying apart from Trump & Johnson means you cannot just let it go- I get that, no problem- however it’s a serious credibility issue for you when you’re saying that people are morally bankrupt for telling the truth to their people.

Grendel

Splitting hairs and playing semantics doesn’t get you out of the mess you’ve created for yourself.

Merkel said that 70% of the population could get coronavirus, similarly Varadkar told his country that up to 80% could contract the illness. Straight talking, factual.

You are saying that for doing this they are “morally bankrupt”, and you are completely wrong- I suspect you know it, but this weird crusade you’re on to disprove everything that the whole world is saying apart from Trump & Johnson means you cannot just let it go- I get that, no problem- however it’s a serious credibility issue for you when you’re saying that people are morally bankrupt for telling the truth to their people.

johnson has said it

shmmeee

But you then have to factor in a death rate of 10 against the 10,000 infected you can’t equate the death rate against reported cases

You’re mixing up the estimated total cases (10k) with the number of known cases and the concluded cases. If everyone stopped contracting it tomorrow you’d still have to wait for all those live cases to be resolved before you could state the death rate. It could be a month or more for that to happen.

The current resolves death rate is 30-odd percent (obviously massively inflated due to only severe cases being the only ones that get admitted). Better to look at China as its further along and currently about 4% if confirmed cases, again high due to undiagnosed cases, but 1% doesn’t sound impossible if you assume a 25% detection rate.

CCFCSteve

Incase people missed the news conference and have an hour to kill. I found it quite interesting (geek !) and a little alarming. Key message I took (other than the new advice) is that this is going to go on for 3-4 months minimum

Sky Blue Pete

Scary thought. 80% will be infected 48000000

1% mortality is 480000

Pm not wrong many of us will lose loved ones early

So where did I say this is definite and scaremonger??

actually I could have said may!!!

Last edited:

Grendel

You’re mixing up the estimated total cases (10k) with the number of known cases and the concluded cases. If everyone stopped contracting it tomorrow you’d still have to wait for all those live cases to be resolved before you could state the death rate. It could be a month or more for that to happen.

The current resolves death rate is 30-odd percent (obviously massively inflated due to only severe cases being the only ones that get admitted). Better to look at China as its further along and currently about 4% if confirmed cases, again high due to undiagnosed cases, but 1% doesn’t sound impossible if you assume a 25% detection rate.

You are mixing confirmed and tested with reported I’m staggered that I’m agreeing with David - the hysteria is becoming ridiculous

Ring Of Steel

johnson has said it
I am aware of that. My issue is the flippancy being displayed by saying thing like that, that’s all. It’s not ‘morally bankrupt’ to give out info like this, I’d say it’s pretty responsible- not something I normally associate with our esteemed leader.

Grendel

1% mortality is 480000

His comment was Ill advised there will not be 80% reported and confirmed incidents so the real death rate will be very much lower

Ring Of Steel

Just in case things hadn’t got quite fucked up enough, I get home to discover that a man has been arrested for running amok in the local Lidl with a hurley trying to fight people for the last few bog rolls & kitchen roll

ccfc92

What the hell has that got to do with anything? People are dying and hundreds are being tested positive every day, and all these fucking Quincy wannabes are saying it’s just “fake news”, which is pretty disgusting.

But it took someone calling you out on it to confirm didn’t it, until that point these people were just tools for you to make some stupid point.

Calm down you hysterical wetwipe.

I just said, were the deaths preventable? I don't think so personally. Doesn't make them any less sad, but when facing a difficult situation, you have to look at facts and science.

I don't think it is fake news, I am mildy concerned about this Pandemic, but the hysteria is frankly ridiculous and doesn't help anyone.

CCFCSteve

1% mortality is 480000

Frightening worst case scenario. Let’s hope it doesn’t get to this. A lot is coming down to personal responsibility ie people now keeping themselves at home for seven days if they have any type of symptoms. Some people can’t do that as they live alone but hopefully those that can, will do

fernandopartridge

To suggest the government is sitting on their hands is crazy.

Do I think they and all other countries are struggling to know what’s best to do, yes (these are unprecedented times), But I also listened to GPs yesterday saying that they were receiving regular updates, had all received additional protective supplies and that they are receiving bulletins from NHS England as to what to do next. The government has also taken several steps to try to mitigate the risk/impact on people and businesses as I detailed earlier.

As Ive said, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but I’ll follow government/medical advice and then also make my own decisions.

Based on what you’re saying i trust you won’t be going on Saturday. I’d also expect you will be telling everyone on the forum not to attend the match either
In fairness I do know that preparation is being made to allow for remote GP consultations to take place but not sure if there is some additional money pledged, been quite busy with that over the last couple of days.

Marty

Trump currently getting crucified by the media for doing exactly that.
No mention of India though who have done exactly the same thing.

Hes hated by the left wing media over there, they would rather run a smear campaign then deliver news.

Currently watching Johnson's speech outlining the plan, have to admit he looks a worried man. No checks at the borders and no travel bans have fucked us. Far too late to implement any of those measures now. Stay safe everyone!

I can't see anything other than a recession now. We'll feel the pain of this virus for years to come.

Sky Blue Harry H

People going to supermarkets - buy handwash/loo rolls/cleaning products/wipes/pasta/rice then when they all run out people start thinking 'what else will run out' buy biscuits/crisps/meat etc etc. Madness - it's supposed to peak in 14 weeks ? (people/families will have a spare room full of stuff apiece). God help those who have to wait for a pay day to afford stuff (which then won't be there) Hopefully after the initial 'panic' a bit of sanity may return.

Sky Blue Harry H

I can't see anything other than a recession now. We'll feel the pain of this virus for years to come.

My brother (2 types of cancer) half jokingly said he thinks that the govt are secretly happy that they'll save a load of money through not having to pay state pensions to those that don't survive it, plus a lot of future saved NHS costs that the departed won't incur. Partly tongue in cheek (but not fully)

Marty

My brother (2 types of cancer) half jokingly said he thinks that the govt are secretly happy that they'll save a load of money through not having to pay state pensions to those that don't survive it, plus a lot of future saved NHS costs that the departed won't incur. Partly tongue in cheek (but not fully)

It really wouldn't surprise me if someone somewhere in government had these thoughts.

Gazolba

Scientifically doesn’t it’s not even a debate
The very first cases identified in the USA were all traced to people newly arrived on flights from China.
I believe that's how it got to Italy also.

CCFCSteve

Hes hated by the left wing media over there, they would rather run a smear campaign then deliver news.

Currently watching Johnson's speech outlining the plan, have to admit he looks a worried man. No checks at the borders and no travel bans have fucked us. Far too late to implement any of those measures now. Stay safe everyone!

I’d imagine that the stress in relation to something like this is is horrific. Especially when you are following a path that’s counter intuitive (but based on medical advice).

As I mentioned earlier, the easiest thing would be to follow everyone else at least then you can say ‘we just did what everyone else did’

shmmeee

I’d imagine that the stress in relation to something like this is is horrific. Especially when you are following a path that’s counter intuitive (but based on medical advice).

As I mentioned earlier, the easiest thing would be to follow everyone else at least then you can say ‘we just did what everyone else did’

My concern is hes surrounded himself with “freaks and weirdos” that have a pathological desire to take the road less trodden and IMO the typical layman’s overestimation of the power of data. The reliance on near quackery like the nudge unit rather than medical opinion is a symptom of that. Sometimes the easy option is the right one when you’re playing with lives.

CCFCSteve

My concern is hes surrounded himself with “freaks and weirdos” that have a pathological desire to take the road less trodden and IMO the typical layman’s overestimation of the power of data. The reliance on near quackery like the nudge unit rather than medical opinion is a symptom of that. Sometimes the easy option is the right one when you’re playing with lives.

It might well be, however, as long he’s talking the best medical advice, questioning it and being guided it, I can’t really argue with what he is doing

Sky Blue Harry H

I thought the two 'experts' came across really well - whether they are right or wrong I don't know, but I followed their arguments and they gave me confidence (misplaced or not) as to the rationale. Slight concern over keeping schools open - as my wife is a TA working with 'snotty' kids (no offence intended) and a son at Secondary school (travels on bus). So a feeling of inevitability that they are likely to encounter it - and then the concern of shielding anything from our 3 elderly parents (all 3 in the medical issue category, and who rely on us for support/food etc)

Marty

I thought the two 'experts' came across really well - whether they are right or wrong I don't know, but I followed their arguments and they gave me confidence (misplaced or not) as to the rationale. Slight concern over keeping schools open - as my wife is a TA working with 'snotty' kids (no offence intended) and a son at Secondary school (travels on bus). So a feeling of inevitability that they are likely to encounter it - and then the concern of shielding anything from our 3 elderly parents (all 3 in the medical issue category, and who rely on us for support/food etc)

I agree with this, I thought all 3 of them came across well, I do have one issue though (and I will repeat myself), both Singapore and Hong Kong immediately closed their borders and bought in border checks, We've seen little growth in their cases, I can't help but think we should have done the same, those experts stated it would have only slowed the virus down for a few days at most, I disagree, but it's too late.

I hope the local big manufactures and the supply chains can keep their heads above water, otherwise it could get very messy.

Gazolba

The latest is Mikel Arteta (the Arsenal manager) has tested positive, so the entire Arsenal team has to be isolated.

wingy

Plenty of big hitters both politically and scientifically understanding and questioning the UK approach .
As suspected it is to gain herd Immunity pretty much in one swoop rather than two or three seasons .
So vulnerable really must isolate minimum 3months maybe six .
Personally I struggle to understand the weight of the social science advice and the gov'ts acceptance of it .

Edit:- After all Gov'ts are there to govern democracy or not.
If the death toll is 50-60 thousand they most likely will have been proved right anything over 200,000 and they will have to fall on their sword

Last edited:

wingy

Somehow I have to seperate my daughter and her fella from the kids while they sit in school to catch it.

Users who are viewing this thread