Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Is this enough? Maybe at this stage but when does that change?

We were told at school today that it is 95% likely we will be shut down within 2 weeks and to prepare for Y11 to have access to everything online.

Yeah the ex was saying either before Easter or just after so there’s a 4 week period with no school. Got to have enough work prepped. Glad I’m not in the game any more I tell ya. Well until I remember the sick pay.

ccfc92

Is this enough? Maybe at this stage but when does that change?

We were told at school today that it is 95% likely we will be shut down within 2 weeks and to prepare for Y11 to have access to everything online.

I'd assume if you had a cough or fever, symptoms would develop within that 7 days?

Has anyone actually advised what happens if you have it? I've seen symptoms, but not details of the actual illness if it happens to you.

mrtrench

Just caught 5 minutes of a report on Radio 4 with a guy explaining the announcements today. What I found interesting (not reporting verbatim and adding my impressions):

1. The panel assembled includes multi-disciplinary experts from historians to mathematicians. The correct approach IMO.

2. Lots of people in an open-air location not such a great risk as you would imagine due to ultra-violet light. The guy said that thousands watching a sporting event in the open air maybe not as great a risk as 200 in a pub watching the event on TV.

3. No point in putting vulnerable people together in a care home as carers have to come and go. A care home could become a death camp if the virus were introduced to all those people enclosed together.

4. No point in denying the spread by everyone isolating themselves now only to let it pick up again later when we emerge. Would have to close schools for 13 weeks to be effective.

NorthernWisdom

I'd assume if you had a cough or fever, symptoms would develop within that 7 days?

Has anyone actually advised what happens if you have it? I've seen symptoms, but not details of the actual illness if it happens to you.
Like most things, if it's serious, you'll know! I went to the doctor about something else, to be told I had swine flu and to go home instantly. First week I wondered what the fuss was about. The second week...

ccfc92

Like most things, if it's serious, you'll know! I went to the doctor about something else, to be told I had swine flu and to go home instantly. First week I wondered what the fuss was about. The second week...

Extra spicy food and plenty of spirits for the next few weeks for me then.

Gazolba

<snip>

It's a tough call, but imo we should have banned all travel from infected countries immediately.
Trump currently getting crucified by the media for doing exactly that.
No mention of India though who have done exactly the same thing.

Sky Blue Pete

No he did not say that. The 80% infection rate is the very very worse case unrestricted infection scenario they have war gamed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Specifically that many families will lose loved ones early word for word. Stop arguing for the sake of it

David O'Day

Specifically that many families will lose loved ones early word for word. Stop arguing for the sake of it
Boris said that not Chris Whitty and there was no figures mentioned. You didn't watch it did you?

Ian1779

Scary thought. 80% will be infected 48000000

1% mortality is 480000

Pm not wrong many of us will lose loved ones early
This is what I don’t get - this phrase is giving it an incredibly serious nature.

Then the response ‘appears’ to not be in sync. They made a point of saying schools should not be closed at this stage... but kids are the most likely age group to SPREAD the virus. They are the most tactile (touching faces, touching each other) even if they are the least at risk. Also the least likely to follow the health advice about sanitation just because they are kids.

These kids are looked after by grandparents, taken to and from school by nan and grandad.

And I don’t get why our approach so far is different to nearly every other country.

Maybe things will change in 1/2 weeks time...

David O'Day

90-95% of population was mentioned too.
Basically you are taking the worst case scenario the have planned for and stating it as an definite. I'm not arguing, I'm pointing out you are spreading fake news.

Sky Blue Pete

Basically you are taking the worst case scenario the have planned for and stating it as an definite. I'm not arguing, I'm pointing out you are spreading fake news.

I’ve answered what I was saying was word for word and I’ve now put the full press conference on. It was for making the point my friend.

Ring Of Steel

Fake news, huh? Tell that to the relatives of the people who’ve died

Sky Blue Pete

Boris said that not Chris Whitty and there was no figures mentioned. You didn't watch it did you?

Yep Boris did say that correct. I listened to it. Who said the 80% and what were the words around it? I’ve tried to find it but it’s about 40 mins

SkyBlueDom26

It won't happen. It will level out, as it has in China. My opinion of course.

Whether it mutates and becomes more deadly/infectious is a different story.
Hopefully it levels out but China have been doing drastic measures whereas we have accepted it now and are gonna wait it out!

There is a L and S strain of it apparently where it has mutated

CCFCSteve

This is what I don’t get - this phrase is giving it an incredibly serious nature.

Then the response ‘appears’ to not be in sync. They made a point of saying schools should not be closed at this stage... but kids are the most likely age group to SPREAD the virus. They are the most tactile (touching faces, touching each other) even if they are the least at risk. Also the least likely to follow the health advice about sanitation just because they are kids.

These kids are looked after by grandparents, taken to and from school by nan and grandad.

And I don’t get why our approach so far is different to nearly every other country.

Maybe things will change in 1/2 weeks time...

I was watching the whole press conference but then missed the bit where they were going into a bit of detail about why the response differs from Italy’s. Going to search on the net.

It is unnerving that we appear to be taking a different approach currently. Basically the message I got was that these measures would be better served when the infections are peaking ie you go into lock down now, you could be in that position for three months and that’s when people will change their behaviours (and I’m guessing many people/businesses would need to for various reasons)

let’s be honest the easiest thing for them to do would be to follow everyone else to cover their arses (tens of thousands of lives are on the line which will ultimately be blamed on them if they get this wrong). But bizarrely you’ve getting some complaining we aren’t doing enough and then in the same breath questioning trumps travel bans as not making sense. What we don’t know is how many world leaders are potentially making statement decisions rather than decisions backed up by science and even evidence ? We will never know I guess as we don’t know enough about the virus and the spread. I’m sure ultimately all governments are trying to do their best whichever route they are taking (even if they are also trying to protect themselves in the process)...I certainly don’t envy them

Ps One comment that I recall was that the airport screening actually missed the first US person infected ie they are of little/no use.

Ring Of Steel

Do you think those who have died, were preventable?
What the hell has that got to do with anything? People are dying and hundreds are being tested positive every day, and all these fucking Quincy wannabes are saying it’s just “fake news”, which is pretty disgusting.

SkyBlueDom26

The approach we are taking is literally the keep calm and carry on, we know it’s gonna spread and we’re gonna have to power through it with up to 80% having some type of it...

Very risky from Boris compared to say China and the way they have dealt with it

David O'Day

“He says his top planning assumption is 80% of people getting the illness.”

That’s from the Guardian live blog. He being Chris Whitty.
Yes top level planning nowhere does it say the think that many people will get it.

David O'Day

Users who are viewing this thread