Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (10 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Didnt think this would still be going. As it is, question.

Anyone eligible for jab 3, are you doing it?

As it stands for me, i wont. On the basis of

A) Its the same jab I've had 2 of. If it was this modified jab to protect more from the delta variant then maybe, but why do i need 3 of the same jab within 9 months? If I'm not protected enough by 2 then you've got to ask really whats the fucking point surely?

B) strangely, i know of 3 people who have been double jabbed and have recently been ill as fuck with COVID,not hospitalised but bedridden for a week. Yet the other 2 i know who caught it that hadnt been jabbed, had nothing more than a sniffle and snore throat for 2 or 3 days.

Im snookered as to what apparent benefit there is. Am i a moron?

Grendel

A) Its the same jab I've had 2 of. If it was this modified jab to protect more from the delta variant then maybe, but why do i need 3 of the same jab within 9 months? If I'm not protected enough by 2 then you've got to ask really whats the fucking point surely?

B) strangely, i know of 3 people who have been double jabbed and have recently been ill as fuck with COVID,not hospitalised but bedridden for a week. Yet the other 2 i know who caught it that hadnt been jabbed, had nothing more than a sniffle and snore throat for 2 or 3 days.

I will have a booster jab without question

Sky Blue Pete

Absolutely not!!! It’s called something in science where your personal experience is outside of the facts presented more widely. That’s not moronic. A moron decides based on 4 examples to ignore the facts and posts moronic posts claiming those public health experts who live their lives to improve public health have an ulterior motive

NorthernWisdom

but why do i need 3 of the same jab within 9 months?
It's to top up your immune system. The vaccine will naturally wane in its effectiveness. That won't be instant, so if you don't hit up a third jab straight away, it won't be much of an issue, but there will be a time when it doesn't really have any effect.

Much like the flu jab, that's administered annually.

wingy

It's to top up your immune system. The vaccine will naturally wane in its effectiveness. That won't be instant, so if you don't hit up a third jab straight away, it won't be much of an issue, but there will be a time when it doesn't really have any effect.

Yet the scientific who developed AZ and Pascal Soirot said that they thought it unnecessary after the antibody study.
Think there is some data suggesting mixing AZ and Pfizer.

skybluetony176

I thought the booster is a different jab to what you had the first time? All the vaccines work slightly different from each other so it’s not just increasing the quantity of what you already have in your armoury it’s about increasing the amount of tools in your armoury.

I think we all know people who have caught it after being vaccinated, I actually know someone who just caught it for the second time having caught it right at the start and have since been double jabbed. Shit happens and like all vaccines none of them have guaranteed 100% efficacy and some people’s immune systems don’t hold on the cells from the vaccine as well as others. The latter being reason enough to get the booster.

There’s also the seatbelt analogy. Just because people are getting injured or killed while wearing a seatbelt in a car crash it doesn’t mean seatbelts don’t work. The fact is only about 10% of the population aren’t seatbelt compliant but the account for about a third of all RTA deaths. Same principle for the vaccine. The majority of the adult population is now vaccinated so it stands to reason that the majority of people catching it are vaccinated. I haven’t seen the data but I’d be willing to bet that the majority of people getting seriously ill or dying are unvaccinated.

NorthernWisdom

Yet the scientific who developed AZ and Pascal Soirot said that they thought it unnecessary after the antibody study.
Well... AZ's position was they wanted to hold off, to gather data as to when and if, exactly, a booster would be needed, as we don't have any data on that as it hasn't been tested in the real world.

It's not unreasonable, tbf. Politically, that's a tough sell however, as whenever you get the data, by definition you're late!

Saddlebrains

Fair shout. Im due the flu jab, will take that one, earliest I'd be eligible for jab 3 would be end of Nov start of Dec so spose il see the lay of the land then and how we are

NorthernWisdom

Fair shout. Im due the flu jab, will take that one, earliest I'd be eligible for jab 3 would be end of Nov start of Dec so spose il see the lay of the land then and how we are
I'm back in the position I was June time of being in limbo land where I've enough wrong with me to concern, but not enough to be on the list for a booster. Not worried this year tbh, as *my* vaccine will take me into spring easy enough, but I'd quite like to know what their long term plan is before it becomes an issue for me

LastGarrison

My Old Man got a phone call today and his booster jab is booked for Saturday afternoon. He had Pfizer previously as well back in Feb.

Randomly is happy to have this but won’t have the flu jab. Which is annoying.

jimmyhillsfanclub

See now I've had 2 x AZ, but I'll be honest....I've currently got a few reservations about getting either of the RNA type vaccines purely cos they're a new technology.....

...think I'd prefer the choice of a 3rd AZ top up if deemed necessary & when the time comes......

EDIT: I should add that if the pfizer/moderna was the only option back before I'd had any jabs, I'd be rolling my sleeve up....

fernandopartridge

Had a conservation with a colleague today whose daughter (age My colleague was saying that she "couldn't hug" her daughter who was upset about the +ve test and was isolating her in a spare room, with the daughter eating separately etc.

Anyone else find this reaction rather over the top?

wingy

Had a conservation with a colleague today whose daughter (age My colleague was saying that she "couldn't hug" her daughter who was upset about the +ve test and was isolating her in a spare room, with the daughter eating separately etc.

Not especially.

chiefdave

Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

Hertsccfc

Not at all

Grendel

If one of my children was ill with covid I wouldn't lock them away in a spare room making them eat separately and treating them like a leper whilst I was fully vaccinated and a full time home worker.

Nor would any normal parent

shmmeee

My ex quarantined our 11 year old in her room. The 11 year old loved it. I wasn’t sure but I never an with my ex. Luckily I’ve not had to make the choice as whenever she’s been isolating with me I have been too.

chiefdave

Meanwhile... antivirals on their way!

*This* is the path to true freedom.

Read earlier in the week that there's 3 different anti-virals in trial in the US, assume this is one of them. Brilliant news if those sort of results hold up. With this sort of thing on top of vaccination we are getting to a point where this will be manageable long term.

NorthernWisdom

It isn't really, vaccines are. These are the path to reducing deaths but without wide vaccine coverage there is still a risk of significant burden on health systems.
It's the path to a genuine normality and, dare I say it, treating it like flu. Vunerable get vaccinated every year, and there are drugs that mean catching Covid is far less likely to have an effect on others, and will allow for treating it as we do other viruses.

Users who are viewing this thread