Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (4 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

to be honest I like the one near me, and I gave him a pass for using his pubs to push his leave agenda but when he started pontificating about Covid and telling his staff to go and work in Tecos enough was enough.
Same for me, nowhere else really where you can just go and get such a cheap pint and it's up to him to have his political opinions, I can just ignore them, but him trying to fuck his staff was too much. People now say "if you don't go to the pub the staff will have no jobs" as if different pubs getting more custom won't mean them needing more staff.

Gig tickets are for Lisbon not Germany as I first thought and for late June, just going to see how it goes.

Sky Blue Pete

The government should be commended on the vaccine rollout, but people shouldn't forget the amount of unnecessary suffering caused by illogical decision making earlier on

I won't forget when I vote again
Credit due also for the ordering of vaccines in the number and variety that they did. That was very wise indeed

Sky Blue Pete

Staggering the kids return would be sensible IMO. The holidays abroad one is the alarm bell for me after what happened last summer. If things continue the way they have been going people will be heading off to places that are way behind us with vaccinations. Surely not a great idea.
Yep got to be

Saddlebrains

I think the return of all schoolkids 8th March is a good acid test.

Cases will shoot up, think thats pretty clear. However if cases shoot up and 3 weeks later the hospitalisations are fuck all, due to the vaccine, which they should be, then hes proven right

RegTheDonk

Absolute clowns. Macron in particular, saying the AZ jab was quasi ineffective, when by all accounts the French public is already very vaccine sceptic !

ps if rumours about the release of restrictions are correct I think there’s going to be some mistakes. Do the scientists/government want people to meet in controlled Covidsafe(r) environments ie a beer garden or even indoors in hospitality in limited groups/tables....or everyone piling round someone’s house, which I can guarantee will start to happen (if it’s not happening already). I hope Johnson has held back some more optimistic/positive news for his formal announcement
The BBC journo at 7pm just before the press conference was laying it on thick, it's a massive slap to the French and Germans who virtually rubbished the Oxford jab's effects on the elderly.

No time though for points scoring and all that muck ... lets get back to normal asap and any surplus, spread the love. Feed the World so to speak.

fernandopartridge

UK data shows 70% decline in infections after first Pfizer shot
England’s coronavirus vaccine campaign is significantly reducing cases of Covid-19, with a drop of around 70% in infections among healthcare workers who have had a first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot, British health officials said on Monday.
Reuters reports:
Data analysed by Public Health England (PHE) showed the Pfizer provided high levels of protection against infection and symptomatic disease from a single dose, and that hospitalisation and death from Covid-19 will be reduced by more 75% in elderly people who have had a first dose.
“Overall, we’re seeing a really strong effect to reducing any infection, asymptomatic and symptomatic,” PHE’s strategic response director Susan Hopkins told a media briefing.
PHE’s head of immunisation Mary Ramsay described the data as “strong evidence that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is stopping people from getting infected, while also protecting cases against hospitalisation and death”.
“We should be very encouraged by these initial findings,” she said.
PHE’s findings came from two separate analyses - one is an ongoing study in healthcare workers, and the second is an assessment of testing data in people aged 80 and over.
Evidence from the elderly group showed that one dose of the Pfizer shot is 57% effective against symptomatic Covid-19 disease, PHE said, and early data suggest the second dose improves protection to more than 85%.
“Hospitalisation and deaths rates are falling in all age groups, but the oldest age groups are seeing the fastest decline since the peak in mid-January,” a PHE statement said.
The vaccine also provides protection against the so-called British variant of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, it added.

Philosorapter

I get my first jab on Wednesday.

I think transmission between people now is the next big thing when the most vulnerable of serious illness from this virus are protected.

If the jab leads to the virus being passed on less then there will be a point when enough people are vaccinated that transmitting the virus will become much harder.

I guess no one will really know for sure until the restrictions start to be relaxed.

Good news though all around.

CCFCSteve

Another slow day on the vaccine front (anticipated from what I’ve read/Shmmeee mentioned, expected to ramp up again in coming days). Around 200k yesterday

Good news on case numbers though, under 8.5k (off 670k tests). Keep it up UK !

shmmeee

Another slow day on the vaccine front (anticipated from what I’ve read/Shmmeee mentioned, expected to ramp up again in coming days). Around 200k yesterday

Good news on case numbers though, under 8.5k (off 670k tests). Keep it up UK !

8.5k on a weekday Is great. Might be around 5k when we open schools if we’re lucky.

hill83

I have my jab tommrow and I am in 30s

Assume it is due to asthma

81980547.jpg

shmmeee

They’ve got an algorithm for the expanded vulnerable list that takes into account things like postcode I think. Ethnicity too. I wonder if that’s how they’re prioritising all under 50s.

Ian1779

Sounds like mandatory masks in school including lessons and social time for all. That is at least sensible.
Secondary that is...

Ian1779

Most schools will take the first week to test upon return. It’s only going to be 2 weeks of learning before Easter.

Macca

They’ve got an algorithm for the expanded vulnerable list that takes into account things like postcode I think. Ethnicity too. I wonder if that’s how they’re prioritising all under 50s.

Its a mystery to me. Not BAME, can’t imagine my postcode screams deprived area. Part of me not comfortable with it the other half says take it

shmmeee

Its a mystery to me. Not BAME, can’t imagine my postcode screams deprived area. Part of me not comfortable with it the other half says take it

At this point I’d say take it. The really vulnerable have all been done. All about coverage really now IMO

Sbarcher

My wife had her 2nd Phizer jab yesterday and up most of the night feeling quite poorly. She is a bit better now but having a sofa day to get over it. She is an NHS worker and thought she might suffer a bit. Apparantly she tells me the 1st gives you the limited immunity and the 2nd then lets it fight it out with the virus for fuller immunity.

clint van damme

My wife had her 2nd Phizer jab yesterday and up most of the night feeling quite poorly. She is a bit better now but having a sofa day to get over it. She is an NHS worker and thought she might suffer a bit. Apparantly she tells me the 1st gives you the limited immunity and the 2nd then lets it fight it out with the virus for fuller immunity.

Hopefully she's back fighting fit tomorrow.
Must give you reassurance that she's fully vaccinated with her being on the frontline?

Sbarcher

Hopefully she's back fighting fit tomorrow.
Must give you reassurance that she's fully vaccinated with her being on the frontline?
Very much so. There's alot of Covid patients and staff around her so her main concern is bringing something home to me! Cheered her up a bit with a week booked in June to the IOW to visit friends.

Users who are viewing this thread