Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (13 Viewers)

Philosorapter

Yeah that wasn't what I was getting at though really. More his showing off that we are doing better like he was a few weeks ago.

I can see us getting more locked into the EU when we do have a Labour Government. The Social Chapter will need to be replaced with something closer to the original.

I wouldn't trust these clowns at the moment to have workers' rights at the centre of anything they do.

Then again, I wouldn't trust Labour to have individual rights at the heart of anything they do.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The EU's behaviour is indefensible on what has broken out today.

I must say I am amazed the usual suspects have gone quiet, along with a lot of major news sources who don't seem to want to report the truth.

Anyway, great news on the number vaccinated so far.

Sky Blue Pete

I must say I am amazed the usual suspects have gone quiet, along with a lot of major news sources who don't seem to want to report the truth.

The Eu or a paper and one leader in Germany?

D

Deleted member 11652

If the Westminster parliament had behaved like a lot of eu leaders you’d be over it like a rash

Deathly silence as expected

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

well it isn’t or every leader in Europe will be in the Hague - it will be a big courtroom

Really? So if a company had made the decisions and shown the H&S breaches and corruption this govt has there wouldn't be a massive case of corporate negligence to be answered?

Mistakes I can handle. This was always going to be a very difficult task given our global reach. But it WHY those mistakes are made that's key.

Ours were mostly made because Johnson and his cronies totally underestimated the severity of the problem and decided it was worthwhile letting a few people die in exchange for stealing a march on others in economic terms. That despite them getting a heads up from Europe and time to prepare or shut things down to give us more time and allow us to keep it under control for longer and they didn't. They could've closed the borders or at least put in quarantine restrictions to reduce chances for the virus to get in or slow down the spread. They could've added in some of lockdown measures or added in mask wearing and distancing much earlier. They didn't. Those decisions has resulted in over 100k+ people dying. And what's worse their utter incompetence meant that desired boost for the economy actually resulted in one of the worst economic performances in the world. So they died for literally less than nothing.

At best that is complete and utter incompetence at every level. For me it's wilfully and knowingly negligent of their duties.

Then to compound that when we had a need for stuff like PPE rather than looking at it as a public health emergency they took it as a chance to give their mates, who had no experience in this field, massive contracts on equipment that was either not up to the required standard (because these contractors had no idea what it was they actually needed) or just never appeared at all. THAT is criminal and more akin to the actions of a mafia than a responsible govt.

David O'Day

Incredible isn't it. People who voted out of the EU complaining that the EU are looking after their own and not for the people who voted out.

If anyone is to blame it's AZ and them seemingly overselling way above their capacity to produce.

If you are angry at the EU ask yourself this, if we didn't have enough vaccines but were exporting loads of vaccines to the EU how angry would you be if we didn't threaten to stop the exports if we didn't get what we needed?

Brighton Sky Blue

If anyone is to blame it's AZ and them seemingly overselling way above their capacity to produce.

If you are angry at the EU ask yourself this, if we didn't have enough vaccines but were exporting loads of vaccines to the EU how angry would you be if we didn't threaten to stop the exports if we didn't get what we needed?

Yes and no. Contracts were signed and paid for which should be honoured. I do see the other side of it though

CCFCSteve

Its not as straight forward as that though. The EU was slow to order and slower to sign off/authorise the vaccines. It appears they are upset that some AZ vaccines they feel shouldve been earmarked for the EU have been delivered to the UK. The fact is the EU haven’t signed off the AZ vaccine yet. So, in response the question should be, would you be happy if AZ stockpiling vaccines for a country who haven’t authorised the vaccine or would you supply it to those that can administer it immediately, potentially saving lives ?

The EU is now alluding to withholding Pfizer jabs which from memory the UK pre ordered 3-4 months before them (I don’t think the EU ordered any until November even though it was developed by a German coming BioNTech !), because they aren’t going to receive their quota of the AZ vaccines on time. Again, if correct, this just feels wrong

AZ may have estimated EU quantities for first quarter based on an earlier sign off (remember the uproar by some about why AZ didn’t just deliver up our hundreds of millions of doses as soon as we signed off ?). They may have supplied more to UK thinking they could restock supplies but there are supply chain issues. Who knows. I also don't know what AZ committed to the UK either ? Have we been receiving our full commitments ?! Maybe not. All I do know is there isn’t just a vaccine tap these companies turn on

This feels like a smoke screen to deflect from poor purchasing/ordering from EU and then slow sign off (which may prove to be correct - it wasn’t for Pfizer jab though) therefore a slower roll out. Then trying to keep 27 members happy as you divi up what you do have fairly. Messy

Ps also threats of action against AZ, who don’t forget are doing this for minimal/no profit (certainly compared to the others), does not reflect well.

Edit - The above is obviously based on various media reports today. Who knows how correct/accurate they are. Sure it will settle down in a few days

Last edited:

clint van damme

wat has the EU done today?

Brighton Sky Blue

True. These people have been crying about foreign aid for years, imagine how upset they'd be if we were sending our vaccines abroad

Except they aren't 'our' vaccines are they, they're made by a private company. They do have to be made within someone's set of map lines though.

Sky Blue Pete

Pete, you are a great guy, but I'm not having that!
Which bit my friend? The paper made a right mistake. The German health ministry put it right. It appears that the Eu health minister is unhappy that contracts with az are unlikely to be met and so they are looking to maximise the amount of the pfeizer vaccine made in Belgium to ensure they have enough in the Eu.
That sounds quite understandable

what have I got wrong ?

PVA

Except they aren't 'our' vaccines are they, they're made by a private company. They do have to be made within someone's set of map lines though.

Exactly, they don't belong to anyone. The EU want vaccines made in the EU to be prioritised for those in the EU. What's wrong with that?

Brighton Sky Blue

Exactly, they don't belong to anyone. The EU want vaccines made in the EU to be prioritised for those in the EU. What's wrong with that?

They put the orders and approval in later. It would be the same story if they had put in 100 million orders of the AZ vaccine months before we did.

clint van damme

They still haven't even given the AZ vaccine the green light, but they are threatening to jump the queue and cut supplies off.

have they threatened to cut off supply? That's not how it was being reported earlier before I left for work and it's not how Zahawi seemed to interpret events either.
As for them not giving the Oxford vaccine the green light that's there issue, more for us in the mean time hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread