Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (20 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Agree BSB. Interesting when you see it (albeit best estimates) broken down into age ranges though

I'm not convinced by 95% survival for 70+ based on the proportion of deaths in that group but I'm willing to have a deeper look. I can very much believe the figures at the younger end of the spectrum though. For comparison influenza has about 0.1% death rate so COVID is worse, but then again I've never heard of people with 'asymptomatic flu' whereas every time you hear of football clubs with cases they never seem to have symptoms

CCFCSteve

Come on Steve. It isn't just the survival rate that needs to be considered. Of those who survive how many will require ICU, be hospitalised etc. It is utterly stupid to be blasé about any outcomes just because they're not death. I see the tweeter you've quoted has got the KBF hashtag, ie the crank badge. There were 3300 on ventilators in March, that just doesn't happen at any other time, no flu season would even get near it. This is a very serious disease with serious consequences, not for everybody but for enough people that a certain level of restriction is necessary

As I mentioned to ROS never seen the feed before or read it. Just clicked the link. My comment was tying it back into the exchange i had with NW last night about trying to get students to follow lockdown measures (Edit - not being blasé at all as I’ve mentioned numerous times I’ve been doing my best to ensure my mum (asthma) and step dad (heart condition) both in 70s, shield during this nightmare !)

Last edited:

CCFCSteve

I'm not convinced by 95% survival for 70+ based on the proportion of deaths in that group but I'm willing to have a deeper look. I can very much believe the figures at the younger end of the spectrum though. For comparison influenza has about 0.1% death rate so COVID is worse, but then again I've never heard of people with 'asymptomatic flu' whereas every time you hear of football clubs with cases they never seem to have symptoms

cheers BSB. As I said in the post, wouldn’t mind a scientists view on the numbers

CCFCSteve

This type of irresponsible crap just makes it likely to be even longer before any kind of normality can return.

Hows it irresponsible ?! (ignore the idiot who’s feed it’s from, I’m talking about the data from CDC)

ps my mate said he’d seen the figures mentioned on sky news yesterday. The data is the data (as long as its not flawed). I hope the numbers are as stated or better as it means anyone catching it has a better chance of survival, that’s not irresponsible it’s trying to live with some optimism

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

cheers BSB. As I said in the post, wouldn’t mind a scientists view on the numbers

What we really need is a reliable test for who has had it before, just relying on PCR for who has it isn't the most trustworthy for a variety of reasons. It just detects the presence of viral DNA even if the virus is inactive in the body

fernandopartridge

As I mentioned to ROS never seen the feed before or read it. Just clicked the link. My comment was tying it back into the exchange i had with NW last night about trying to get students to follow lockdown measures (Edit - not being blasé at all as I’ve mentioned numerous times I’ve been doing my best to ensure my mum (asthma) and step dad (heart condition) both in 70s, shield during this nightmare !)
OK, it wasn't so much you being blasé more the tweeter. I'm worried about parents of a similar age with underlying health problems (as most people in their 70s have got).

CCFCSteve

OK, it wasn't so much you being blasé more the tweeter. I'm worried about parents of a similar age with underlying health problems (as most people in their 70s have got).

yeah, should’ve checked the tweeter, didn’t even look, just clicked through to the site to see if the numbers were on there/accurate (as in check he wasnt picking up incorrect numbers from site - I haven’t hit a clue if site is correct but appears genuine/numbers justified to an extent)

got to go...usual last minute ifollow scramble !!! (Where I usually struggle to remember how to find to watch the match after paying)

Ring Of Steel

Hows it irresponsible ?! (ignore the idiot who’s feed it’s from, I’m talking about the data from CDC)

ps my mate said he’d seen the figures mentioned on sky news yesterday. The data is the data (as long as its not flawed). I hope the numbers are as stated or better as it means anyone catching it has a better chance of survival, that’s not irresponsible it’s trying to live with some optimism

I’m on about the guy who tweeted it

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Even though we so far know that it's less likely to be serious to younger people, we've no idea what the effects may be in the years to come on them.

Could have other long term effects on things like strokes/heart attack risk due to affecting ability to absorb oxygen. For all we know in 20 years time we could end up with a massive spate of people being chronically ill or dying from the after effects of this. Nobody knows.

Sky Blue Pete

Professor Sir Jonathan Montgomery, former chair of the ethics advisory board for the first edition of the app, said: "This is clearly a glitch. I imagine it won't be that difficult to sort out, and the focus is on making sure the system is integrated.
"If they book the tests with the system they can feed them back into the app, clearly we haven't yet got it right in terms of the other parts of the testing system being able to feed in and we would expect that to be sorted pretty quickly."

Seems like it should be sorted pretty soon

David O'Day

Professor Sir Jonathan Montgomery, former chair of the ethics advisory board for the first edition of the app, said: "This is clearly a glitch. I imagine it won't be that difficult to sort out, and the focus is on making sure the system is integrated.
"If they book the tests with the system they can feed them back into the app, clearly we haven't yet got it right in terms of the other parts of the testing system being able to feed in and we would expect that to be sorted pretty quickly."

Seems like it should be sorted pretty soon

The issue is the app asks for a code to validate your results as you enter them yourself, the NHS and PHE test results do not have a validation code for the app.

I do wish people including so call experts would actually take 5 fucking minutes to actual find out what the problem is. It's in teh fucking original thread on twitter.

Sky Blue Pete

The issue is the app asks for a code to validate your results as you enter them yourself, the NHS and PHE test results do not have a validation code for the app.

I do wish people including so call experts would actually take 5 fucking minutes to actual find out what the problem is. It's in teh fucking original thread on twitter.
Yep so it needs a validation code arrangement

David O'Day

Yep so it needs a validation code arrangement

Which is more than just feeding data into an app. Amazing that you are ok with the governments tracking and tracing app not being able to able to track and trace potentially a third of all cases and contacts.

Sky Blue Pete

Which is more than just feeding data into an app. Amazing that you are ok with the governments tracking and tracing app not being able to able to track and trace potentially a third of all cases and contacts.
I’m not I’m saying it will still help and these problems will be sorted very quickly

David O'Day

It's been a week already. In it's current form it is badly letting people down.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Grendel

The Marr show today and David Lammy refuses to answer if labour will back the Brady amendment which is rumoured to have the support of 40 to 50 Tory Mps - labour seem to be acting as Tory cabinet groupies

Brighton Sky Blue

The Marr show today and David Lammy refuses to answer if labour will back the Brady amendment which is rumoured to have the support of 40 to 50 Tory Mps - labour seem to be acting as Tory cabinet groupies

Matt Hancock’s groupies are his hands

Grendel

Locking kids up in University Halls and not allowing them home is a fresh kind of hell.

It’s akin to the type of approach a Russian Stalinist state would do

clint van damme

They're taking the never interrupt your enemy while they're making a mistake mantra to a whole new level.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s insane what has been done. Really crazy knowing what we did about the likelihood of more cases.
Should have seen the effect of schools and then started uni later. Also as Grendel and others have said on here. If it doesn’t cause issues with particular groups how can we allow them to carry on as normal and protect more vulnerable groups

fernandopartridge

They're taking the never interrupt your enemy while they're making a mistake mantra to a whole new level.
This is the same group of arse holes who wouldn't accept it when Corbyn did it over Brexit, which has put the car in the fast lane to no deal.

They have no ideology apart from what they think might win an election. To be perfectly honest that is much worse than the Tories as it is a huge betrayal of their voter base.

Brighton Sky Blue

Should have seen the effect of schools and then started uni later. Also as Grendel and others have said on here. If it doesn’t cause issues with particular groups how can we allow them to carry on as normal and protect more vulnerable groups

A start would be to allow schools and universities to teach normally with an opt out for those in vulnerable households.

clint van damme

This is the same group of arse holes who wouldn't accept it when Corbyn did it over Brexit, which has put the car in the fast lane to no deal.

They have no ideology apart from what they think might win an election. To be perfectly honest that is much worse than the Tories as it is a huge betrayal of their voter base.

I'll probably vote for them next time round because the NHS is the biggest issue for me and I feel it's safer (though not entirely safe) in Starmers hands but I'll do so with a heavy heart.

Grendel

It’s insane what has been done. Really crazy knowing what we did about the likelihood of more cases.

No it’s crazy we are just locking people up against their will

Brighton Sky Blue

They have also told the students to remove all notices in their windows, some had put things up saying “Boris Out”, “we want to go home” etc

I find it hard to accept that this is happening in the U.K. in 2020, these are very sinister times.

Be clear, it’s happening in the self proclaimed socially progressive paradise that is Scotland. At least Sturgeon has shown that bullshit up for what it is

Ring Of Steel

Be clear, it’s happening in the self proclaimed socially progressive paradise that is Scotland. At least Sturgeon has shown that bullshit up for what it is

Nope, Manchester from what I saw. Hang on I will find it, or at least debunk it.

Here- is this real? I hadn’t heard anything about Manchester to this point.

Users who are viewing this thread