Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (12 Viewers)

David O'Day

what a pile of shite

better get Farage down to that beach pointing at some boats just in case the British public wake up and realise how much of their money's been spunked on this waste of time.

It makes no sense as most people will book the test via the website and won't have the code needed.

It's a very, very expensive way of checking into venues

Brighton Sky Blue

They're already digitising them. Estimate is it'd be about, oh, 25 years plus to digitise everything. And that's before they're added to. You can also tell more from the original document - paper, tears, things that can't be picked up, things that are missed by the camera (the binding etc.). There'll always be a place for the original.

Yeah, though my guess is that most undergrads won’t need access to originals to observe things like that. Science courses will need to though, even in first year I had 2-3 a week. Further up they’d need to be in every day.

Sky Blue Pete

Use it! It works guys ignore the Twitter cowboys and experts who aren’t the experts. The more of us use it the more of the epidemic we stop

Last edited:

David O'Day

Use it works guys ignore the Twitter cowboys and experts who aren’t the experts. The more of us use it the more of the epidemic we stop

The App? I've got it but how is an app that is meant to track and trace contacts that can't accept a large number of the test results going to help?

Kieranp96

So the 'NHS' covid app actually has no link with NHS testing for covid? What the fuck is this country
"yet" there has to be some sort of backend system in place so you can get access to your test results if they just release it willy nilly, some brainiact who can reverse engineer will take a look through the code find a issue hack the NHS like they did with visa few years back. It's not as simple as clicking your fingers

David O'Day

"yet" there has to be some sort of backend system in place so you can get access to your test results if they just release it willy nilly, some brainiact who can reverse engineer will take a look through the code find a issue hack the NHS like they did with visa few years back. It's not as simple as clicking your fingers

So it's fine to have a contact tracing app that doesn't properly contact trace.

You need to upload the NHS and PHE test results so the app can tell people if they have been in contact with someone who has tested positive.

Kieranp96

So it's fine to have a contact tracing app that doesn't properly contact trace.

You need to upload the NHS and PHE test results so the app can tell people if they have been in contact with someone who has tested positive.
just have to wait for it to work fully, can you not just click a box that says you do or do not have the virus? I don't have the app as no need.

skybluetony176

just have to wait for it to work fully, can you not just click a box that says you do or do not have the virus? I don't have the app as no need.
No, there isn’t that feature. I guess because any idiot can press a button to say they have it even if they don’t and that would corrupt the data and make the app worthless. Equally though if you can’t log all test results from all testers it has the same effect. Yet again a lack of joined up thinking from the government. A shame really because the app is really simple to use and should be a simple effective tool in combatting Covid and getting closer to the old norm from the new norm.

shmmeee

What?

CCFCSteve

No, there isn’t that feature. I guess because any idiot can press a button to say they have it even if they don’t and that would corrupt the data and make the app worthless. Equally though if you can’t log all test results from all testers it has the same effect. Yet again a lack of joined up thinking from the government. A shame really because the app is really simple to use and should be a simple effective tool in combatting Covid and getting closer to the old norm from the new norm.

Think you’re spot on Tony. The concern around the app has always been around data corruption/maintaining its accuracy and also providing the data centrally so it can be analysed (I might be wrong but I think that was the problem with the standard ‘off the shelf’ tracing app - data retained on phones, which is good for data protection but doesn’t assist with wider analysis)

It sounds like it leaves the responsibility to the individual which is potentially dangerous, if people don’t bother, but hopefully they will. Not sure if they are working it so in future test results get uploaded. Also don’t know if this is a data protection issue in terms of the test results (doubt it)

Sky Blue Pete

Allegedly?

You can't verify NHS, PHE or ONS test results. This has been confirmed by the official app twitter account.
I saw that and I want to know the implications of that. It’s a great story to prove how shit the app is if that’s what you want to prove.

However what if 95% of tests are being done through the app? What if this is something that they are aware of and it makes little difference to the overall success of the Isle of Wight tests and subsequently its use in the wider population?

The modelling is clear this will save lives and infections

Last edited:

David O'Day

I saw that and I want to know the implications of that. It’s a great story to prove how shit the app is if that’s what you want to prove.

However what if 95% of tests are being done through the app? What if this is something that they are aware of and it makes little difference to the overall success of the Isle of Wight tests no subsequently its use in the wider population?

The NHS and PHE testing is the Pillar 1 testing that is reported everyday. The last daily figures for pillar 1 testing were 73,243. This is compared to the 172,120 pillar 2 tests (the commercial labs that this can accept). This means in 1 day almost a 1/3 of all tests could not be entered.

Data taken from Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK

Sky Blue Pete

The NHS and PHE testing is the Pillar 1 testing that is reported everyday. The last daily figures for pillar 1 testing were 73,243. This is compared to the 172,120 pillar 2 tests (the commercial labs that this can accept). This means in 1 day almost a 1/3 of all tests could not be entered.

Data taken from Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK
If I was to guess pillar 1 is mostly hospital, care homes and nhs and care workers. Pillar 2 community but I’ll try and confirm definitively why this shouldn’t be seen as a grave mistake

David O'Day

If I was to guess pillar 1 is mostly hospital, care homes and nhs and care workers. Pillar 2 community but I’ll try and confirm definitively why this shouldn’t be seen as a grave mistake

Pillar 1 is any testing done in an PHE or NHS lab

As per the same document

1601115912408.png

Ring Of Steel

However what if 95% of tests are being done through the app? What if this is something that they are aware of and it makes little difference to the overall success of the Isle of Wight tests and subsequently its use in the wider population?

Why are they calling it an NHS app when it can’t accept test data from the NHS?

David O'Day

Looking at the data as well you can enter pillar 4 (ONS) results and there were 23,000 of those reported in yesterdays daily figures.

Sky Blue Pete

skybluetony176

He’s more of an expert than you and he says it will make a difference. I’m following him not uou
I’ve downloaded it and will be using it wherever I can. My only real concern was my own data protection but the way the app works the people who will have your information already (ie Apple etc) from downloading the app already have it so there’s no further risk.

David O'Day

He’s more of an expert than you and he says it will make a difference. I’m following him not uou

WTF are you talking about? No one has said it won't help, please are rightly saying that it should not be set up so it can't not accept around a 3rd of the daily test results.

What part of that are you not getting?

Users who are viewing this thread