Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (24 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

DeAnna is particulary great. She ran against Nancy Pelosi this year and got about 1,8% of the vote

Alex Jones has been on recently saying that RBG died as part of a 'blood sacrifice' and was being sustained by 'satanic energy'. No point trying to persuade these people, just outnumber them at the polls

NorthernWisdom

Not sure about this amendment to give parliament more say on coronavirus measures. Ultimately, government has access to the scientific advice, and quick decisions are needed. Plus, Johnson's moderate compared to some of the loons in his party!

I understand the need for democratic scrutiny, but not to castrate givernment's ability to act.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not sure about this amendment to give parliament more say on coronavirus measures. Ultimately, government has access to the scientific advice, and quick decisions are needed. Plus, Johnson's moderate compared to some of the loons in his party!

How about they let those with some actual scientific credentials take Johnson's place in some of these decisions? Assuming any exist.

Grendel

How about they let those with some actual scientific credentials take Johnson's place in some of these decisions? Assuming any exist.

If only Thatcher was still here and in charge

Grendel

Late to the party, I've already said that a few times ;)

Don’t think you’d like what I suspect she’d do other than the public sacking and humiliation of Matt Hancock

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

By that logic it may have been the perfect place to let it rip entirety on campus , vulnerable poeple aside , maybe a couple of weeks before term .
Something that could have been considered for schools as well . through the summer .

Freshers week but adding Covid to the usual chlamydia and gonorrhea

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is at least positive.

Do wish the world had bought as a block though, rather than it being a competitive market.

Why the fuck would they want that? No money to be made without competition and the loudest voices internationally have big links to private business.

Should be WHO given the funds, buys the lot and gets it distributed.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No, there isn’t that feature. I guess because any idiot can press a button to say they have it even if they don’t and that would corrupt the data and make the app worthless. Equally though if you can’t log all test results from all testers it has the same effect. Yet again a lack of joined up thinking from the government. A shame really because the app is really simple to use and should be a simple effective tool in combatting Covid and getting closer to the old norm from the new norm.

One thing you can be sure of. If it works well they'll be quick to highlight and thank the private partners involved in it. Fail and it'll just be 'the NHS'

Sky Blue Pete

WTF are you talking about? No one has said it won't help, please are rightly saying that it should not be set up so it can't not accept around a 3rd of the daily test results.

What part of that are you not getting?
I’m getting it all completely. You are intelligent others aren’t and by saying it’s not able to upload this and that others won’t try and it won’t be as effective.

CCFCSteve

Didn’t quite believe this when I was sent it yesterday but seeing as the WHO are suggesting overall fatality rate is between 0.5 and 1, would makes sense (will leave to the science bods to comment)

ps guessing this will probably be why it will be tricky to get students to tow the lockdown line

Brighton Sky Blue

Didn’t quite believe this when I was sent it yesterday but seeing as the WHO are suggesting overall fatality rate is between 0.5 and 1, would makes sense (will leave to the science bods to comment)

ps guessing this will probably be why it will be tricky to get students to tow the lockdown line

Without knowing the true number of cases it is hard to put a definitive % on fatality. The most credible study I have seen estimates about 0.7% factoring in asymptomatic cases but it can again only be an estimate when so many are asymptomatic. Though that fact in itself should be telling us something.

Ring Of Steel

He seems like a nice guy- retweeting Toby Young, Allison Pearson & all excited about Andrew Neil’s new ‘fox’ style news channel

David O'Day

He seems like a nice guy- retweeting Toby Young, Allison Pearson & all excited about Andrew Neil’s new ‘fox’ style news channel

That CDC clearly says

"

The parameters in the scenarios:

• Are estimates intended to support public health preparedness and planning.
  • Are not predictions of the expected effects of COVID-19.
  • Do not reflect the impact of any behavioral changes, social distancing, or other interventions.
"

CCFCSteve

That CDC clearly says

"

The parameters in the scenarios:

• Are estimates intended to support public health preparedness and planning.
  • Are not predictions of the expected effects of COVID-19.
  • Do not reflect the impact of any behavioral changes, social distancing, or other interventions.
"

yeah, I read that as not predictions of what will happen in future. For all we know people who’ve had it might be impacted long into the future. I think it’s based on current data though

CCFCSteve

Without knowing the true number of cases it is hard to put a definitive % on fatality. The most credible study I have seen estimates about 0.7% factoring in asymptomatic cases but it can again only be an estimate when so many are asymptomatic. Though that fact in itself should be telling us something.

Agree BSB. Interesting when you see it (albeit best estimates) broken down into age ranges though

fernandopartridge

Come on Steve. It isn't just the survival rate that needs to be considered. Of those who survive how many will require ICU, be hospitalised etc. It is utterly stupid to be blasé about any outcomes just because they're not death. I see the tweeter you've quoted has got the KBF hashtag, ie the crank badge. There were 3300 on ventilators in March, that just doesn't happen at any other time, no flu season would even get near it. This is a very serious disease with serious consequences, not for everybody but for enough people that a certain level of restriction is necessary

Users who are viewing this thread