Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (15 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I've read some reports that you need to complete the form (PLF) when you come back as well, and the gov.uk website does seem to confirm that, have you seen anything about this? I'd have thought it would be more of a news story if the form did need completing for the return, and that's making me doubt it.

Yeah I’ve seen a separate one for returning to the UK though a bit confused about why I need to if I’m coming from a country on the no quarantine list.

Saddlebrains

Tbf it says 'signs of'. There's 'signs of' me getting noshed off by the new bird at work but until it's happening i wouldnt worry

fernandopartridge

Tbf it says 'signs of'. There's 'signs of' me getting noshed off by the new bird at work but until it's happening i wouldnt worry
Sorry but that is a stupid statement. There were 'signs of' a global pandemic at the end of January and we ignored them to the cost of 60k + lives. Let's not make the same mistake twice. If this spikes again in the autumn it'll be disastrous.

NorthernWisdom

Sorry but that is a stupid statement. There were 'signs of' a global pandemic at the end of January and we ignored them to the cost of 60k + lives. Let's not make the same mistake twice. If this spikes again in the autumn it'll be disastrous.
tbf, Johnson's used it as justification for the Spain action. You could argue it's him actually taking it seriously. Overkill? Probably, but after his words about all being back to normal by Christmas, I'd rather see that than the alternative, tbh!

shmmeee

Saddlebrains

Maybe give the Asian bird in the other office a go? ;)

Hahaha,

Tbf it doesnt change anything. We cant go into lockdown again. No country can. Everyones stated that and understands why. So we have to learn to live with it best we can. Its endemic now, just like colds and flu.

Oh and yes, cases are going up and places seeing spikes. But its not giving anywhere near the death numbers it was

CCFCSteve

No wonder Spain pm is pissed

Spain - 2 deaths
Uk - 100+

And we have temerity to say they’re high risk

A majority of deaths will usually take place days or even weeks after someone has tested positive so deaths are irrelevant in relation to the decision. Spain is running at approx three times our daily confirmed case rate (which has been bouncing around 600-700 per day for a couple of weeks or so). I think Spain’s spiked from a lower figure to over 2k relatively quickly ie within a few days which I presume leads to concerns that there could be exponential grown (and a second spike). We also all know that the real number is likely to be several times the daily confirmed cases due to many carriers being asymptomatic and/or not having been tested.

Hopefully with regional lockdown measures put in place things will get back under control. Unfortunately though this is likely to continue happening in the UK and around the world until a vaccine is found (unless lockdowns remain in place constantly - which is impossible) so we may as well get used to it.

shmmeee

Has anyone got a graph showing mortality rate anywhere? I’m assuming we’ve spent four months or more with medicines top minds working on making this more treatable, are we seeing that in the data?

Seems that (or a milder strain of the virus emerging) are our best bets for some level of normality. Been reading LongCovid cases today and scaring myself, need a tonic.

Brighton Sky Blue

Has anyone got a graph showing mortality rate anywhere? I’m assuming we’ve spent four months or more with medicines top minds working on making this more treatable, are we seeing that in the data?

Seems that (or a milder strain of the virus emerging) are our best bets for some level of normality. Been reading LongCovid cases today and scaring myself, need a tonic.

Sky Blue Pete

Me too. Family around the world and friends. And other parts of my family supposed to be shielding going out more and more and taking bigger risks

shmmeee

I assume you could do a quick case:death ratio from the rolling averages

Yeah that’s what I did. Just eyeballed the two. Not as reassuring as I’d hoped TBH. But then testing strategy has been all over the place so hard to assume a certain baseline (I.e. if we’re doing more speculative tests we’ll find more mild cases that don’t die)

fernandopartridge

Yeah that’s what I did. Just eyeballed the two. Not as reassuring as I’d hoped TBH. But then testing strategy has been all over the place so hard to assume a certain baseline (I.e. if we’re doing more speculative tests we’ll find more mild cases that don’t die)

Pillar 1 (people in hospital and healthcare workers) is a decent proportion of total testing. Yesterday only 99k tests were processed which is 48k people max over half of which was Pillar 1.

fernandopartridge

It is odd though, because the number of people both in hospital and on ventilators generally continues to fall in spite of the increase in infections.

chiefdave

Infections is a tricky one to use as an indicator of anything as they aren’t even saying how many people are being tested.

Users who are viewing this thread