Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (56 Viewers)

djr8369

Companies have to promote WFH where possible, it is now illegal for them to maintain a full workplace. I was going to the office as normal last but am now working from home. Italy is majorly behind to attitudes towards WFH though.
I think takeaways count as an essential service, as do supermarkets, so both are open.

I think they’ll be more push back here. Speaking to friends most in big companies already WFH but lots saying they’ve been told they need to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djr8369

Coronavirus: No 10’s strategy switch may save 250,000 lives — The Times and The Sunday Times

ab6e375a4d42f850b8b8249223595e67.jpg

shmmeee

You know data and it’s wonderful ability and it’s flaws. It’s not one or the other. It’s both. It’s not they fucked up and everyone else did things great and even if it was to be the case it is way too soon to call it. It is also not based on numbers infected it’s number of deaths. The estimate that doing nothing would wipe out 5000000 people down to a figure of tens of thousands following the path we are now on seems to be a performance indicator that the government and experts should be judged on

Sorry Pete but everyone could see the data and was screaming at them to change course. The idea we wouldn’t be affected like every other country in the world was just ridiculous.

tisza

The real worry is if a lot of people are sick or just on lockdown the supply chains start to struggle. Does anyone know if the countries in full lock down let jobs like this continue? What about power stations? Data centres?

We're getting towards a full lockdown here in Hungary. Reduced opening hours, schools closed, self-quaranting, borders closed to all non-citizens etc.
A lot of those that can are working from home.
Supply chain has been struggling on some items for 10-14 days. People abusing the panic buying rules by sending in several people from same household to buy same items.
Irregular supplies of meat, some veg, paper products, household cleaning goods (disinfectants), vitamins and supplements. (these non-food items in particular have largely been absent for 2 weeks). We're told that stocks are available in Hungarian depots and neighbouring country depots but transport can't keep up with the demand.
We're told power stations etc. can manage demand as heating requirements in particular are falling week by week as weather warms up.
But it's blatantly obvious health system won't be able to cope if it gets more "lively". also Hungary is way behind on testing due to lack of facilities

PVA

I still can't get my head around it. The entire world puts in measures to flatten the curve, yet our government thought we could do the same by… just letting it run. It's incredible. At least they have finally seen sense, some consolation I suppose.

SkyBlueDom26

Government changed it strategy to save lives and the same people still moaning and bitching, need to have a good look at yourselves

Lets leave it to the experts yeah?

PVA

People making it about political point scoring are getting tiresome.

Just as if it's a stick to beat either party with.

Sorry Nick but it is political. Our government made a catastrophic error of judgement that will cost lives and they should be properly scrutinised for it.

PVA

Government changed it strategy to save lives and the same people still moaning and bitching, need to have a good look at yourselves

Haha you don't get it do you. You need to have a look at yourself for defending them to the hilt when the rest of the world was telling them they were doing it wrong.

SkyBlueDom26

Haha you don't get it do you. You need to have a look at yourself for defending them to the hilt when the rest of the world was telling them they were doing it wrong.

Stop making it political, you just can't help yourself can you when we should all be sticking together? Embarrassing mate

BornSlippySkyBlue

Whoever was in power at the moment would be under the same intense scrutiny though. However you look at it there is a political element to this because it is the politicians making the decisions about how we get through it. And yes, it really is the politicians making the decisions.

It is also a fact that we have the most libertarian government of recent times, when perhaps the polar opposite would have been better?

It’s also a fact that the NHS has been chronically underfunded over the last ten years or more, and now it isn’t fit for this purpose. How can there not be a political angle? It’s a great opportunity to reinforce why having a well-funded, equipped and staffed health system is so important even when we think nothing drastic is happening. If there was a bit more slack in the system it wouldn’t be getting overwhelmed so easily.

Political points everywhere, hard to ignore them.

PVA

Whoever was in power at the moment would be under the same intense scrutiny though. However you look at it there is a political element to this because it is the politicians making the decisions about how we get through it. And yes, it really is the politicians making the decisions.

It is also a fact that we have the most libertarian government of recent times, when perhaps the polar opposite would have been better?

It’s also a fact that the NHS has been chronically underfunded over the last ten years or more, and now it isn’t fit for this purpose. How can there not be a political angle? It’s a great opportunity to reinforce why having a well-funded, equipped and staffed health system is so important even when we think nothing drastic is happening. If there was a bit more slack in the system it wouldn’t be getting overwhelmed so easily.

Political points everywhere, hard to ignore them.

Exactly. The only people saying 'don't make this political' are the ones who vehemently support this government. Of course you're perfectly entitled to support any party and any government, but you also have to be able to criticise and scrutinise them when needed.

Like you say, it's pretty impossible for this not to become political.

Nick

Administrator
Exactly. The only people saying 'don't make this political' are the ones who vehemently support this government. Of course you're perfectly entitled to support any party and any government, but you also have to be able to criticise and scrutinise them when needed.

Like you say, it's pretty impossible for this not to become political.

Not at all. I couldn't give a shit about conservatives or labour.

People bursting a blood vessel just to point score is over the top.

Just saying the opposite of their opposition party and going with that.

Its probably why people are getting so worked up.

Rest in peace the economy and thousands of small businesses. Won't need long until there are people with pitchforks telling people they can't leave the house.

PVA

Rest in peace the economy and thousands of small businesses. Won't need long until there are people with pitchforks telling people they can't leave the house.

Well hopefully we will follow France's lead and look after the people AND the economy.

As Macron (pompous oaf according to Grendel) said yesterday 'No business will be allowed to go bankrupt'.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Whoever is responsible for procurement of ventilators in the NHS should be sacked also. Actually tweeting for manufacturers to call a hotline to discuss making them no with all of the pre-production setup and procurement of parts etc. Wonder what the lead-time is for a company to make medical-grade equipment in car-part factories...

fernandopartridge

Not at all. I couldn't give a shit about conservatives or labour.

People bursting a blood vessel just to point score is over the top.

Just saying the opposite of their opposition party and going with that.

Its probably why people are getting so worked up.

The government could have helped the economy by testing and tracking cases but hasn't bothered, the only option left now is social distancing so the economy is knackered.

Nick

Administrator
Well hopefully we will follow France's lead and look after the people AND the economy.

As Macron (pompous oaf according to Grendel) said yesterday 'No business will be allowed to go bankrupt'.
Its all well and good saying that but I'm pretty sure they will.

djr8369

Is it political point scoring or just analysing the situation? It’s not like labour get to have a go next or wouldn’t have listened to the same experts.

djr8369

Yeah it was bizarre and seen as arrogant here.

Was going to ask how the U.K. attitude, both governmental and public, is being perceived abroad?

Was talking to a friend in Ireland and he was aghast that we were living our lives as normal over the weekend and don’t seem to comprehend the situation.

Mcbean

Whoever is responsible for procurement of ventilators in the NHS should be sacked also. Actually tweeting for manufacturers to call a hotline to discuss making them no with all of the pre-production setup and procurement of parts etc. Wonder what the lead-time is for a company to make medical-grade equipment in car-part factories...
Quality assured ventilators on ebay from China !

Grendel

Macron says a lot of things - and usually delivers the opposite

fernandopartridge

It'll be on frameworks but at an individual trust level. There is no NHS purchasing at genuinely national level apart from pharmaceuticals.

Grendel

Sounds familiar.

Can you think of another pompous oaf who says a lot of things and delivers the opposite?

Yes sturgeon and that pipsqueak that runs Ireland

Sick Boy

Was going to ask how the U.K. attitude, both governmental and public, is being perceived abroad?

Was talking to a friend in Ireland and he was aghast that we were living our lives as normal over the weekend and don’t seem to comprehend the situation.

There was the same attitude here up until the start of the lockdown, I fully expect the UK to suffer the same fate as here because of it too.

clint van damme

Stop making it political, you just can't help yourself can you when we should all be sticking together? Embarrassing mate

everything is political, this situation s highly political. Ridiculous to pretend otherwise.
And if the government gets it right, you'll be shouting it from the rooftops, if you say otherwise you're lying.

Users who are viewing this thread