Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (50 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Saying on the BBC now new modelling has changed the plan as 250,000 deaths were predicted. Apparently based on numbers of people needing intensive care in Italy. NHS would never have enough capacity. New data says previous strategy would not work and WHO advice turned out to be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is contemptible that they modelled demand on viral pneumonia and not the actual disease for which data existed. The question is why they did that and why the Secretary of State and SPADS didn't spot the flaw in the plan.

djr8369

It is contemptible that they modelled demand on viral pneumonia and not the actual disease for which data existed. The question is why they did that and why the Secretary of State and SPADS didn't spot the flaw in the plan.

Is that what it was based on? Where have you seen that?

fernandopartridge

In my school there are whispers of closures next week and senior management are ramping up making sure that all teachers are set up to deliver work by Teams/OneNote etc. If the exams indeed are cancelled then it would also make irrelevant all the work I have put in to help my exam classes and the work that these classes have put in over the years. A few seem delighted at the prospect-most are actually disheartened or pissed off. We might have to end up using predicted grades or mock exams and unit tests if the worst comes to it. Hoping it doesn't.
Teams crashed today with the surge in demand

Grendel

BBC disagreeing with you and saying chancellor will be announcing support tomorrow.

Which means insurance won’t be paying out

Brighton Sky Blue

Will be interesting to see if any of these things stick and make organisations more flexible. Useful way of combating climate change, pollution and reducing congestion on the roads.

As somebody else has said we’re witnessing the worlds largest remote working experiment.

Don't think it works for teaching, especially practical subjects. But it has been very useful for sharing resources and cutting down paper usage

Brighton Sky Blue

Part of that is its settings, it automatically puts my webcam on. It's really unstable, nearly as bad as Skype

I really don't like the idea of giving recorded lessons over the internet so may well reduce it to uploading lesson materials/videos/worksheets etc and directing students to return the work and pose questions. That and I have no way to make sure the work gets done

cc84cov

Yep that’s the assumption I made
I don’t see how they can keep them open much longer mate these fools don’t seem to have any idea wtf they are doing...how did a man with such a shit hair cut even manage to be a prime minister is my worry,Matty Godden hair is what the prime minister should have.

Ring Of Steel

Yeah, it was. Its only really in the last few weeks that China have released the information.

You know what the “19” means in the name I take it. I don’t know what rock you live under but this has been in the news, reported, very much not a secret for months. And if you have the role of “expert” in the medical field working for the government, I would have thought that it would have been of particular interest, no?

You’ve taken leave of your senses completely or been in a drunken stupor for 3 months if you think this is some new surprising development.

Sick Boy

The real worry is if a lot of people are sick or just on lockdown the supply chains start to struggle. Does anyone know if the countries in full lock down let jobs like this continue? What about power stations? Data centres?

Where I am there’s been no change whatsoever in the food situation and I’ve not seen any empty shelves or people panic buying.

The vast majority of food here is produced here, not sure if that’ll make a difference compared to the UK.

There are still people going to work here but a lot, lot less, so I imagine those jobs are still going on but with reduced staff.

Nick

Administrator
I wonder if takeaways have been hit.

I mean god knows who will have coughed in them or prepared them now?

Nick

Administrator
Business is booming for them here!

Really? In times like this you would think people would want to prepare their own food.

There's no point being on lockdown if somebody random could have been cooking your food without washing their hands and sloppy hygiene!

Sick Boy

Really? In times like this you would think people would want to prepare their own food.

There's no point being on lockdown if somebody random could have been cooking your food without washing their hands and sloppy hygiene!
Most takeaways open are pizzas and I think the stone oven probably kills anything off and no need to touch them after that.

shmmeee

You know what the “19” means in the name I take it. I don’t know what rock you live under but this has been in the news, reported, very much not a secret for months. And if you have the role of “expert” in the medical field working for the government, I would have thought that it would have been of particular interest, no?

You’ve taken leave of your senses completely or been in a drunken stupor for 3 months if you think this is some new surprising development.

It’s amazing how people jump from one implausible defence to another to avoid admitting the government fucked up.

We were a literal laughing stock to most of the world. Have a read of what other countries were saying about our strategy. The idea no one could see this coming is frankly hilarious.

Philosorapter

This is what the BBC is reporting the Public will be told in the next few days.

In risks groups I think by that they mean anyone who is advised to have the flu jab, or over 70, or pregnant, should stay at home for 12 weeks.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s amazing how people jump from one implausible defence to another to avoid admitting the government fucked up.

We were a literal laughing stock to most of the world. Have a read of what other countries were saying about our strategy. The idea no one could see this coming is frankly hilarious.
You know data and it’s wonderful ability and it’s flaws. It’s not one or the other. It’s both. It’s not they fucked up and everyone else did things great and even if it was to be the case it is way too soon to call it. It is also not based on numbers infected it’s number of deaths. The estimate that doing nothing would wipe out 5000000 people down to a figure of tens of thousands following the path we are now on seems to be a performance indicator that the government and experts should be judged on

Sky Blue Pete

This is what the BBC is reporting the Public will be told in the next few days.

In risks groups I think by that they mean anyone who is advised to have the flu jab, or over 70, or pregnant, should stay at home for 12 weeks.
um I think it’s already strongly advised. But they will be giving stronger advice. Mmmm not sure what stronger advice will be

djr8369

Don't think it works for teaching, especially practical subjects. But it has been very useful for sharing resources and cutting down paper usage

I’m sure you’re right (although it’s more useful at a higher level with motivated students, see Open Uni and various other providers) but plenty of jobs could have people working from home even if it was only part of the time or staggered.

djr8369

Where I am there’s been no change whatsoever in the food situation and I’ve not seen any empty shelves or people panic buying.

The vast majority of food here is produced here, not sure if that’ll make a difference compared to the UK.

There are still people going to work here but a lot, lot less, so I imagine those jobs are still going on but with reduced staff.

Yeah we’re importing a lot more here so there’s more risk in that sense. One benefit of this mess is we get to stress test a lot of systems and supply chains before Brexit kicks in next year.

djr8369

Business is booming for them here!

That’s odd I’d have thought they would be one job where you’d have to stay at home. How do you know if you can work or if you’re on lockdown?

I can see if it happens here virtually everyone will be thinking “well I need to go to work” and a lot of mangers will be saying “business as usual”.

On that note, JLR board meeting today in response to last nights press conferences but the line last night was WFH if you can but engineering and manufacturing carry as usual.

PVA

Good grief. This along with his 'squash the sombrero' joke in the press conference last night.

He's made a career out of acting the lovable daft buffoon with scruffy hair. Turns out that's not a good qualification to be prime minister.

Screenshot-20200317-080129.jpg

djr8369

Good grief. This along with his 'squash the sombrero' joke in the press conference last night.

He's made a career out of acting the lovable daft buffoon with scruffy hair. Turns out that's not a good qualification to be prime minister.

Screenshot-20200317-080129.jpg

Axios?

Sick Boy

That’s odd I’d have thought they would be one job where you’d have to stay at home. How do you know if you can work or if you’re on lockdown?

I can see if it happens here virtually everyone will be thinking “well I need to go to work” and a lot of mangers will be saying “business as usual”.

On that note, JLR board meeting today in response to last nights press conferences but the line last night was WFH if you can but engineering and manufacturing carry as usual.

Companies have to promote WFH where possible, it is now illegal for them to maintain a full workplace. I was going to the office as normal last but am now working from home. Italy is majorly behind to attitudes towards WFH though.
I think takeaways count as an essential service, as do supermarkets, so both are open.

Users who are viewing this thread