Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (18 Viewers)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yep...Liverpool has now gone over the 100 mark...and it appears the whole of the north-west is there or thereabouts.

My kids school just sent home the whole of year 5 as one child had a positive test.......seems fucking barmy to me as year 5s have siblings across every year group.

A totally unworkable solution.

What a fucking mess.

Sky Blue Pete

Yep...Liverpool has now gone over the 100 mark...and it appears the whole of the north-west is there or thereabouts.

My kids school just sent home the whole of year 5 as one child had a positive test.......seems fucking barmy to me as year 5s have siblings across every year group.

A totally unworkable solution.

What a fucking mess.
That’s the process though isn’t it? What would be the alternative?

Only those with positive test or symptoms? It’s an idea but that would just lead to huge increase in infections wouldn’t it?

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I've always struggled to understand how you can contain something that is invisible in 60+% of people.

Another national lockdown won't happen (even if it was enforced, plenty would rebel now), we're left with either waiting for a vaccine (which plenty wouldn't take) or...herd immunity...

jimmyhillsfanclub

That’s the process though isn’t it? What would be the alternative?

Only those with positive test or symptoms? It’s an idea but that would just lead to huge increase in infections wouldn’t it?

Surely just isolate the kid who is positive. But sending 60+ kids home on short notice is just dumb. It fucks up childcare arrangements, work schedules & inevitably means more kids are looked after by vulnerable grandparents etc. & is ultimately futile anyway as they have siblings in other years & the parents are out & about, working, shopping, boozing etc. in the community anyhow.

I've always struggled to understand how you can contain something that is invisible in 60+% of people.

Another national lockdown won't happen (even if it was enforced, plenty would rebel now), we're left with either waiting for a vaccine (which plenty wouldn't take) or...herd immunity...

Pretty much.

We're currently fucking up a generations life chances, killing the economy & dividing society all over a virus that is pretty harmless to most & can be killed with soap & water.

What a fucking mess.

CCFCSteve

How would you rebel, though? Demand to go and sit in an office? Illicit pints from the back of a transit?

I’m guessing that people will still meet up NW. I’ve got a fair few intelligent(ish) mates and people are done. They will still wear masks, wash hands etc but I don’t think many/any would adhere fully to another full lockdown lockdown measures

I know some on here prefer if I didn’t add data/info backed context to certain discussions but I have finally found testing per country info earlier (for those interested). Again, like anything Covid it’s probably a little questionable/inaccurate, however, we are currently (as of a week ago - I think our tests have actually increased by 50k per day in the last 7-10 days from around 170k to 220k) testing more per 1000 than anywhere in Europe.

This by no means excuses the testing mess. I can’t understand why we haven’t increased capacity over the summer and would like to hear the reasonings/justifications (the lady in charge is speaking to the MP committee today so hopefully they’ll be some answers), however, this is not a UK based issue

NorthernWisdom

I’m guessing that people will still meet up NW. I’ve got a fair few intelligent(ish) mates and people are done. They will still wear masks, wash hands etc but I don’t think many/any would adhere fully to another full lockdown lockdown measures
But what extra could they do to rebel?

At the moment, you can't meet up beyond a group of six, so you'd be rebelling anyway.

What a fuller lockdown would do is stop as many people being compelled to be placed in a position alongside people who didn't obey. That at least brings it back to personal responsibility, rather than spreading to the unsuspecting.

CCFCSteve

But what extra could they do to rebel?

At the moment, you can't meet up beyond a group of six, so you'd be rebelling anyway.

What a fuller lockdown would do is stop as many people being compelled to be placed in a position alongside people who didn't obey. That at least brings it back to personal responsibility, rather than spreading to the unsuspecting.

Fair point, I’m just saying that during the original lockdown most people obeyed the not meeting/mixing households rule, I don’t see it happening again

chiefdave

I know some on here prefer if I didn’t add data/info backed context to certain discussions but I have finally found testing per country info earlier (for those interested). Again, like anything Covid it’s probably a little questionable/inaccurate, however, we are currently (as of a week ago - I think our tests have actually increased by 50k per day in the last 7-10 days from around 170k to 220k) testing more per 1000 than anywhere in Europe.

NorthernWisdom

Fair point, I’m just saying that original lockdown most people obeyed the not meeting/mixing households, I don’t see it happening again
I think the majoriy would. We hear the outliers, but if (yeah OK, my argument falls down here!) it's communicated well what the plan is, and why it's being done, you'd get all the more.

Some people just wouldn't follow, regardless. To a degree I'm not fussed what they do, as long as they don't then go and put themselves in positions to pass on to others, who haven't the same choice they do.

CCFCSteve

Either way it’s certainly not going to be hugely different. As I’ve said I think our number will increase again as last few days tests have picked up.

Doesn’t mean that this mess doesn’t need sorting out as capacity isn’t obviously enough for what we need (whatever other countries failings are)

ps also I’m guessing we are relying on people requesting tests when they need to. Surprised with the low percentages of positive tests still, however, saw yesterday that a professor commented around 500k people per day are likely to have similar to Covid symptoms so guessing capacity will remain an issue for foreseeable future

Edit - decent/useful article and agree with the guys matrix for testing comparisons but never going to happen

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Surely just isolate the kid who is positive. But sending 60+ kids home on short notice is just dumb. It fucks up childcare arrangements, work schedules & inevitably means more kids are looked after by vulnerable grandparents etc. & is ultimately futile anyway as they have siblings in other years & the parents are out & about, working, shopping, boozing etc. in the community anyhow.

Pretty much.

We're currently fucking up a generations life chances, killing the economy & dividing society all over a virus that is pretty harmless to most & can be killed with soap & water.

What a fucking mess.
That’s why there are bubbles though. All of those in the positive test kids class could have it but not yet be presenting. You can’t just let it run wildfire even test and trace tells close contact individuals to isolate for a period of time.

Grendel

That’s why there are bubbles though. All of those in the positive test kids class could have it but not yet be presenting. You can’t just let it run wildfire even test and trace tells close contact individuals to isolate for a period of time.

What other country adopts a close all policy?

clint van damme

Pretty much.

What a fucking mess.

imagine if we had a working track and trace system?

Grendel

It’s not a close all. Would you suggest just the person who’s positive should be off and any presenting symptoms until they get a negative test

Obviously and then regardless if the test the class carries on as normal and that person has two weeks off

Grendel

shmmeee

I’m not sure you can call something that’s killed more people than all Islamic terror combined “hysteria” TBH.

Herd immunity needs a vaccine. It’s never been a realistic “strategy”, it’s an outcome that comes when you have a vaccine. We don’t even know if a vaccine is possible yet.

We need fully grown adults to grow the fuck up and act normally instead of virtue signalling about how they won’t be told what to do like some teenager hitting puberty TBH. You can’t compare us to other normal countries because our population are fucking morons quite frankly. Desperate to be America Lite.

If people wore masks, isolated, and maintained social distancing we’d have a handle on this. Same with the ridiculous attempts from government to convince us all that a two hour daily commute and sitting in an office is the height of a full life and not something everyone’s been wanting shot of for years.

fernandopartridge

Every single plan is about a headline grabbing initiative which usually involves hoovering up a lot of government spending for no return. Instead of megalabs why not bolster the existing lab capacity in order to provide long term resilience?

djr8369

Every single plan is about a headline grabbing initiative which usually involves hoovering up a lot of government spending for no return. Instead of megalabs why not bolster the existing lab capacity in order to provide long term resilience?
Not true. It’s also about giving contracts to Tory party donors and family members.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The days up to the 13th in Cov is 33 per 100k which used to be considered high but is in fact fuck all compared to some places. Which tells you the shitshow the country is in right now.

That's the thing. They talk tough about reintroducing measures if cases get high again, then when they do redefine what high is. Always seems to be a number just above what the current rate is...

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Pretty much.

What a fucking mess.

But that entire generation are all in the same boat, so you're hardly fucking up their life chances. It's not killing the economy, it's proving we have an economy that's extremely fragile and not robust enough to cope with change. It somebody had the balls to use this as the catalyst for change it could make a generations life chances with a more diverse mix of industries including ones which are more robust and long term, improved environment/living conditions and fairer income and wealth distribution.

"Ask not what you do for the economy, but ask what the economy does for you"

As you say this is, on the whole, a relatively minor disease and look how much the world is struggling. Doesn't bear thinking about if a proper modern-day black death reared its head.

Users who are viewing this thread