Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (37 Viewers)

David O'Day

Schools are reopening
Herd immunity
Dominic Cummings didn't break any laws
Robert Jenrick was completely above board in okaying a development plan against planning board wishes

David O'Day

France has apart from 2 outlier days been at less than an a thousand new cases since the start of May

Spain apart from 1 day has had less than 1000 new cases a day for a month

Italy last recorded over 1000 new cases on the 12th of May

Germany last recorded a 4 figure new cases figure on the 9th of May

This is what people are trying to say Domald, these countries were in much better positions before they even looked at starting to reopen.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Schools are reopening
Herd immunity
Dominic Cummings didn't break any laws
Robert Jenrick was completely above board in okaying a development plan against planning board wishes

My favourite was Hancock last week.
Guy from independent SAGE said on national TV that not locking down earlier cost live.
On Monday Hancock said he hasdn't said it.

David O'Day

My favourite was Hancock last week.
Guy from independent SAGE said on national TV that not locking down earlier cost live.
On Monday Hancock said he hasdn't said it.

Even better wasn't that Professor Ferguson who was a member of the official SAGE group until he got caught having his misses round that said that?

skybluetony176

Well they don’t though do they, it’s just you lot thinking they do
Really? So how’s the world beating track and trace system going? You believe Dominic Cummings tests his eyes by taking his family for a joy ride? You believe that the government was prepared for any eventuality on coronavirus like they claimed at the start of this? You believe they’ve delivered on PPE? You believe they’ve delivered on testing? That’s just the things of the top of my head regarding coronavirus. They said that they would release the Russian report after the election, to my knowledge that’s yet to happen, in the election campaign the Tories were caught out bang to rights on lying over 60 times. Shall I go on?

PVA

Scathing attack on the government from the editor of The Lancet (medical journal)

Lancet editor attacks UK government for 'catastrophic' handling of Covid-19 pandemic

"Missed opportunities and appalling misjudgments by the government over its handing of the Covid-19 pandemic have led to the avoidable deaths of thousands of people. That is the stark view of Lancet editor Richard Horton in an interview in the Observer’s New Review this week.

Horton – whose book, The Covid-19 Catastrophe: What’s Gone Wrong and How to Stop It Happening Again – lambasts the UK management of the outbreak, describing it as the greatest science policy failure of a generation.

For good measure, Horton, who has been editor-in-chief of the Lancet for 25 years, also attacks the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) for becoming “the public relations wing of a government that had failed its people” and denounces Public Health England (PHE) for not taking proper note of the World Health Organization’s public health emergency warning about the disease. He also dismisses the UK’s response to the emergence of the Covid-19 virus as “slow, complacent and flat-footed”, a reaction that show the government was “glaringly unprepared” for the pandemic."

PVA

It’s time to start reopening we can’t live like this forever, if some people still don’t want to go out then that’s fine stay at home but let the rest of us get back to normality

Bloody hell.

How many times.

NO ONE IS SUGGESTING WE SHOULD LIVE LIKE THIS FOREVER

David O'Day

Bloody hell.

How many times.

NO ONE IS SUGGESTING WE SHOULD LIVE LIKE THIS FOREVER
I've tried to say this many times to him.

I'd just prefer it to be as safe as it can be before we reopen

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

Haha you actually rate the WHO? The same organisation that bullshited about coronavirus being transmitted in the first place

Surely more a case of them still learning about this new virus that didn't exist a year ago and that we're still finding out about

Ring Of Steel

Some good news.
One of the most dangerous symptoms of corona is blood clotting and they've thing they've found a drug that prevents it in corona patients.

Yes I saw that- alongside an article about the problems that people who have COVID experience after "recovering", which was a very timely reminder that this thing is vicious in amongst all the hoohaa about shops reopening. People have needed oxygen for mths, ongoing nausea & breathing problems, ongoing blood clot problems (which hopefully we have a cure for), and an irregular heartbeat.

The article finished up by saying "this is an intelligent killer, it is so efficient that it can render the patient unable to lead a normal life for many months (if at all) after recovery from ICU"- I wouldn't be one of the people manically queuing to go buy some tat just yet .

shmmeee

If he's right about unemployment that is frightening.

Got Brexit on top of that as well. We’re lucky to have Johnson in many ways because he’s far less averse to large spending than some Tories and that’s what will be needed.

We should decarbonise our entire energy system, expand the rail network, build schools and hospitals, all of it. I’d be building social housing too.

NorthernWisdom

We’re lucky to have Johnson in many ways because he’s far less averse to large spending than some Tories and that’s what will be needed.
Yeah, he's not overly Tory in that respect. A George Osborne led response to this would have been truly terrifying.

The issue as ever is what Faustian pact he's made with who to take power, and how much influence they have on him to change his instincts and run with the hardcore cost cutting.

shmmeee

Yeah, he's not overly Tory in that respect. A George Osborne led response to this would have been truly terrifying.

The issue as ever is what Faustian pact he's made with who to take power, and how much influence they have on him to change his instincts and run with the hardcore cost cutting.

Yeah. The problem is it’s still Tories all the way down, the backbenchers and donors will get twitchy. Also Sunak seems quite the deficit hawk.

clint van damme

Got Brexit on top of that as well. We’re lucky to have Johnson in many ways because he’s far less averse to large spending than some Tories and that’s what will be needed.

We should decarbonise our entire energy system, expand the rail network, build schools and hospitals, all of it. I’d be building social housing too.

I can't see Johnson been around for long once we officially leave the EU.

chiefdave

Oh ffs Dave, have you not looked at the numbers now compared to when we were at the peak

It’s time to start reopening we can’t live like this forever, if some people still don’t want to go out then that’s fine stay at home but let the rest of us get back to normality
Declines in COVID-19 cases not due to herd immunity, says analysis | Imperial News | Imperial College London
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31357-X/fulltext
researchers found little evidence for herd immunity and concluded that the decline in cases and deaths was a result of lockdowns, behavioural shifts, social distancing and other interventions. This means that the epidemic is still at a relatively early stage and that a large proportion of the population in these areas remain susceptible to the virus. The authors suggest that no country has yet seen infection rates sufficient to prevent a second wave of transmission if lockdowns and social distancing measures were relaxed without other measures in place.

skybluetony176

Some good news.
One of the most dangerous symptoms of corona is blood clotting and they've thing they've found a drug that prevents it in corona patients.
Sounds promising. I suspect that this is the way we will learn to live with this virus, treatment. If you read anything about historical research into finding a vaccination for any coronavirus ever it seems a difficult ask given it’s never been done before despite decades of research. We live in hope but I think effective treatments are more likely especially in the immediate future.

Blood clots targeted in Covid-19 treatment trial

RegTheDonk

Why did they not just shut it down then?
Seems to me the public were being good in the majority bar a few breaking the social distancing, but since Cummings and the protesters getting away with vandalism, its virtucally becoming we'll do what we like thanks and fuck you too.
Old bill need to step it up a gear but we don't want to upset everyone do we?

Users who are viewing this thread