Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (39 Viewers)

ajsccfc

I've not delved too deeply so she might have some shithouse behaviour I'm not aware of, but I've been really impressed any time I've seen Jacinta Ardern do her job

PVA

Absolutely incredible response from New Zealand.

How anyone can look at what's happened there and still think Johnson has done a good job is utterly mind boggling.

Also, this is what happens when you open up too early

skybluetony176

I've not delved too deeply so she might have some shithouse behaviour I'm not aware of, but I've been really impressed any time I've seen Jacinta Ardern do her job
I’m sure she’s not infallible but from what I’ve seen of her she’s had two big tests to come through as PM. One being the Christchurch Mosque Shooting where through her leadership and the general decency of the NZ population it brought the country together, question itself on ideology and gun laws and collectively change to help stop something like that happening again. And then the Covid crisis where early intervention and making the tough decisions decisively has stopped the virus in its tracks and enabled them to come out the other side quicker. They’ll be 3 or 4 months into rebuilding their economy by the time we’re “scheduled” to have a track and trace system fully working. She comes through the big tests whereas Boris trips over his shoelaces before getting to the starting line.

Nick

Administrator
I’m sure she’s not infallible

giphy.gif

skybluetony176

Absolutely incredible response from New Zealand.

How anyone can look at what's happened there and still think Johnson has done a good job is utterly mind boggling.

Also, this is what happens when you open up too early

The next two weeks are worrying with the scenes at beaches and parks and now the mass gatherings for BLM protests. Just hope we don’t see similar trends to the above.

NorthernWisdom

The next two weeks are worrying with the scenes at beaches and parks and now the mass gatherings for BLM protests. Just hope we don’t see similar trends to the above.
Again, would be better to look at localised trends for those kinds of things. I suspect the national trends will be limited, as it's next to nobody went on those marches *really*. Same as looking at Cheltenham, and Atletico Madrid game, it's worth seeing if there has been any impact on the local level, any unusual disturbances.

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s plain crazy to think it’s lost it’s tenacity. It’s a virus it acts in certain ways. If you lockdown and stop infections then you can manage it’s access. If you don’t it keeps circulating. It’s not bloody rocket science

NZ basically allowing normality to return but still banning entry. Almost like being an island nation is an advantage with this sort of thing.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

In fairness Dom, there is a bit of a lag at weekend. That being said though, the fact this is the lowest reported deaths since the start of lockdown is a step in a positive direction for sure.

David O'Day

Yes look at the trend instead of fucking moaning all the time, also there is no weekend lag on the cases
The trend was almost flat last week and it always dips during a weekend

Theres a 2 fucking day lag on cases as well.

Ffs you are told this everytime.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Listening to More or Less there’s been some funny stuff going on with the daily figures. They used to be all reported deaths added and now they seem to be just recent ones with older ones added separately.

It looks like good news but annoyingly the only really reliable data is the weekly ONS updates which is obviously lagging a lot more.

Really hope it’s true but we’ve seen some very suspicious jumps in numbers. Think we may just have to wait and see where we are in a week.

chiefdave

Compare New Zealand and the UK (you can probably guess which one is which):
If you’re a resident or visitor you must:
  • provide your journey and contact details
  • not leave the place you’re staying for 14 days except in very limited situations (known as ‘self-isolating’)
Citizens and residents may return but will be subject to restrictions upon entry. No other foreign traveller can now enter unless they have been granted an exemption prior to travel.

To help stop the spread of Covid-19, all people arriving are required to undergo either quarantine or managed isolation for 14 days.

When you arrive government officials will explain what will be happening and answer any questions.

You will then be screened for COVID-19 symptoms such as a high temperature.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 or you are waiting for the results of a COVID-19 test, you will go to the quarantine hotel. Otherwise, you will go to one of the hotels being used for managed isolation.

While in quarantine or managed isolation, you will be tested for COVID-19.

At the hotel you will be assigned a room for your stay, taking into account how many people are with you. You will also get an information pack with more detail about your stay.

There will be staff from the quarantine and managed isolation programme at your hotel who will be in regular contact and can provide any support you need.

While in quarantine or managed isolation, you will be tested for COVID-19.

As all meals are provided, there is no need to bring food with you. Hotels being used for managed isolation or quarantine can’t store food. Let staff know as soon as possible if you have dietary requirements. Hotels will do their best to give you what you need.

You can drink alcohol in managed isolation, just remember to drink in moderation.

You won’t be able to go to the shops when you arrive, so bring everything you need for daily life.

You will be able to leave managed isolation after 14 days. You’ll be asked for details about your onward travel plans and where you will be staying. If you need help with accommodation, our team can support you with making arrangements.

You will be able to leave quarantine after you have spent at least 14 days in quarantine, and been free of COVID-19 symptoms for at least 48 hours. You will also need to have an onward travel plan and tell us about where you plan to be staying.

chiefdave

Listening to More or Less there’s been some funny stuff going on with the daily figures. They used to be all reported deaths added and now they seem to be just recent ones with older ones added separately.
Noticed that on one of the slides at the daily briefing last week. It looked like they were also giving the number of deaths they were adding to past days but it still gives an artificially low daily figure now and makes it meaningless to compare with previous figures. Sure its not a coincidence that the change came at a time they were getting questioned over relaxing restrictions when the numbers were high.

shmmeee

Noticed that on one of the slides at the daily briefing last week. It looked like they were also giving the number of deaths they were adding to past days but it still gives an artificially low daily figure now and makes it meaningless to compare with previous figures. Sure its not a coincidence that the change came at a time they were getting questioned over relaxing restrictions when the numbers were high.

Same with the testing figures. It’s annoying because surely everyone wants decent stats? What’s even the point of massaging them when we’ll find out in a week or two anyway?

Fucking idiots trying to play politics with a virus.

chiefdave

Same with the testing figures. It’s annoying because surely everyone wants decent stats? What’s even the point of massaging them when we’ll find out in a week or two anyway?
Its the Brexit bus trick. Majority of people will just see the figure given out at the briefing and look no further. Not many people paying attention to the ONS figures and with the lag they'll just get dismissed as out of date.

shmmeee

Wait, the figures are being manipulated?

giphy.gif

Sort of. The daily figures have always been A mix of all previous days, like there’d be a few that day, most over the last three or four days, then a load spread over the last week or two that have just been recorded. It seems like they’re now only counting those in the last few days. Not a massive change but all changes make it impossible to compare like with like.

The ONS stuff is still solid, but it takes a week to come out so you don’t get an idea straight away of how we’re doing.

Same with the testing. If they wanted to count each person three times fair enough, but switching halfway through makes it hard to tell if we’re getting better or worse and cases has always been a function of testing (more people tested = more cases basically).

So the numbers aren’t “wrong” they’re just “different” and it’s annoying and for political reasons rather than statistical ones.

The gold standard in all countries is still excess deaths which is pretty hard to massage. Unless you’re outright hiding deaths off the record which I doubt any civilised nation is.

Sky Blue Pete

Fucking idiots trying to play politics with a virus.
Well cause people will see 55 and think it’s gone

shmmeee

Well cause people will see 55 and think it’s gone

To what end though? All a gamble that the fringe views about it being “gone” are true? It’s not like we won’t notice if it shoots back up to the hundreds. Just seems so short term and silly.

Brighton Sky Blue

To what end though? All a gamble that the fringe views about it being “gone” are true? It’s not like we won’t notice if it shoots back up to the hundreds. Just seems so short term and silly.

It's in retreat. Matt has his anti-Covid rifle and is leading an assault on the South Downs at 0600 to drive it into the Channel

Users who are viewing this thread