Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (41 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

We’ve been discussing having Y10 in for 2 hours 3 days a week on a 2 week cycle (we have 2 bands) but only about 80 kids out of 240 have signed up to come in. So they’ll have 6 hours of school every 2 weeks. We have to continue to provide online learning for all of them so any kids that come in will have to do something different and additional to plan.

With practical work actually not possible to implement I'm not sure what merit there is in bringing folk back for more theory. But our esteemed leaders have decided otherwise!

Ian1779

With practical work actually not possible to implement I'm not sure what merit there is in bringing folk back for more theory. But our esteemed leaders have decided otherwise!
They don’t appear to be that esteemed.... Outside of their own circle where they no doubt tell each other how amazing they are.

fernandopartridge

Well according to my wife's uncle (a police officer in Bedfordshire) back in March, he said his guidelines were;

1. Politely ask people to move on.
2. If they don't, take then home not to a cell.

He was having conversations with my wife and wished he had the power the Spanish police had, by fineing people on the spot.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t or wasn’t law. The law allows police to issue Fines if necessary but errs on the side of enforcing rather than punishing.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

fernandopartridge

They will likely be deaths retrospectively linked to Covid but no idea when from
The NHS England data will show it. Every daily count is a just the deaths reported that day that haven’t previously been reported that have occurred to date. The gov has misrepresented the data compared to how it is usually presented.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

That doesn’t mean it isn’t or wasn’t law. The law allows police to issue Fines if necessary but errs on the side of enforcing rather than punishing.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

Apparently fines issued were associated to existing, usually anti-social laws.
There has been reports anyone fined directly associated with covid-19 will be able to appeal. However my wife's uncle told us that some chavs who have been arrested may have been told (the only way they understand at the point of arrest) that they have been arrested for breaking the rules, but their paper work will give the actual law they have broken, otherwise a court will throw it out. So when 'said chavs' go on facebook to boast/moan* (*delete as appropriate) it's usually in the language they have had it explained to them, the only language they seem to understand.

Hence why there are some lawyers waiting to defend Dominic Cummings as he hasn't broken UK law. However they were looking to see if anything associated with Barnard Castle that he 'may' have broken the law.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There’s two things here:

- When precisely did the first case arrive in the U.K.?
- What is the shape and time scale of the first major outbreak here?

People are conflating the first with the second to give credence to their conspiracy theories.

A small outbreak a week or two before what we previously thought was the first case does not mean it’s been ripping through the population for months and it’s all overblown.

Wonder if they still have samples from autopsies etc from before Christmas that could be checked for the virus?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So Johnson knows lifting this won't make it go above one, despite not having any background or training in it compared to those who've spent years studying it. Hmmmm.

That's not leadership. Churchill was a leader but he almost never went against the advice given to him. Ask yourself this - if it was a Labour leader would you be calling it leadership, or would you be calling it ignoring and overruling the experts?

David O'Day

chiefdave

"Based on the scientific advice and having test and trace up and running, it's our position that if the public follow the social distancing guidance, the measures we have taken aren’t likely to push the R rate above one."
Presumably they have published this scientific advice so other scientists can evaluate it and confirm the government actions are correct?

Unfortunately its a bit hard to just trust Johnson with his history and given several members of SAGE have said the course of action the government is taking conflicts with the scientific advise I'd like to see the evidence they are referring to.

SkyBlueDom26

Hang out I thought Boris was guided by science but here he is saying the science is wrong.

We all want life to be more normal but not at the potential expense of peoples lives.

Also if we do have to tighten restrictions again it will hurt the economy even more.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
We won’t have to tighten again everywhere, with a now working track and trace it will only be in certain locations when we have a flair up

David O'Day

We won’t have to tighten again everywhere, with a now working track and trace it will only be in certain locations when we have a flair up
We don't have a working track and trace system.

Dido Harding said it will not be fully operational until the end of June

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

pipkin73

My apology from above. Not having kids at school anymore.
My wife just informed me we are in our final phase today, schools can go back today, however they breakup in 2 weeks time for summer holidays. Schools are reopening for administration purposes, to allow children and parents to go into school and sort out all their paper of administration for the next school year. The internet here is not set up the same as the UK and most paperwork can only be done face to face.
Very frustrating.
Thought you were at the same phase as us in GC? We are still in phase 2 with the 8th June Phase 3.
Canarias pide que el resto de las islas pasen el día 8 a la fase 3
Not sure where your wife got her info from mate.

fernandopartridge

Looking at this we’ve had a second peak already, when others have only had one (bar maybe France), the question now will we have a third?

I wonder if the second peak was care homes. Start sending people out of hospital and two weeks later we have a seemingly equal curve starting.
Look at how prolonged that spell at high altitude was, much longer than anybody else.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
People are queing for hours to get into IKEA just for day out to look around.

Reporter and camera man sent to interview people and all happy and cheerful.

Is lockdown over?

shmmeee

People are queing for hours to get into IKEA just for day out to look around.

Reporter and camera man sent to interview people and all happy and cheerful.

Is lockdown over?

Well we’re opening sport and letting vulnerable people out so according to the government system we’ve got a vaccine and it’s all over?

Nobody knows WTF is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread