Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (34 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

Great news that the lockdown is being safely eased today! Got a feeling things are going to get a lot better this month

Or the start of operation kill off the ones ones that have been in isolation.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Genuine question then, is it worth the entire effort to find a vaccine, if the probability is it blows itself out about as quickly as properly testing the vaccine will take?

I honestly don't know. But I guess it would be remiss not to try.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I posted up the legislation which was really permissive and basically unenforceable. There was nothing in there about one form of exercise.

I did wonder that as they were 'guidelines' how could the police issue fines? If it's a guideline it's not law, it's just a suggestion of something they think it would be advisable to do. It was the one part of Cumming's farce that I actually agreed with - he hadn't done anything illegal because it had no legal authority.

shmmeee

Genuine question then, is it worth the entire effort to find a vaccine, if the probability is it blows itself out about as quickly as properly testing the vaccine will take?

Better to have a vaccine and not need it than need one and not have it I guess.

Don’t know if the relatively long incubation period affects mutation though. If you’re going around passing it on asymptomatically for a while, what difference if you die or not? Interesting question.

I’d guess you look at hospitalisation rates (hard to do without knowing who has had it) and then survival rates in hospital to see if more people are surviving. Data will be messy though as we’ve been making rapid progress on treating it since day one, so how much any improvement in survival is down to our advances and how much is mutation would be hard to disentangle I guess.

PVA

Hardly releasing us back into the wild is it, it’s slow and safe measures to get the country moving again

It's not slow and safe.

It's making things up as they go along.

It's ignoring the science that they were apparently being led by, just to get Dominic Cummings off the front page.

They value one man's job over public health guidance.

fernandopartridge

I did wonder that as they were 'guidelines' how could the police issue fines? If it's a guideline it's not law, it's just a suggestion of something they think it would be advisable to do. It was the one part of Cumming's farce that I actually agreed with - he hadn't done anything illegal because it had no legal authority.

No, it was legislated it wasn't guidelines. I was responding to the specific point about exercise.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No, it was legislated it wasn't guidelines. I was responding to the specific point about exercise.

So why did they keep saying 'follow the guidelines' rather than 'follow the law'?

EDIT: Can probably answer than myself. Johnson not wanting to seem unpopular and telling people what to do.

Grendel

So why did they keep saying 'follow the guidelines' rather than 'follow the law'?

EDIT: Can probably answer than myself. Johnson not wanting to seem unpopular and telling people what to do.

France has a strict lockdown and despite Astute droning on I know a couple of people on France and its been ignored by a large percentage of People

Poland has a 2 week quarantine - I know a polish national whose gone back for a bit and had to take a photograph of his isolated flat - he has then proceeded to go to his parents house and bring his mates round and get pisssed - now he’s on the way back - he ignored all the rules

chiefdave

The fuck are you talking about? They have reopened most things and haven’t seen a surge
Question for you Dom. There's 2 rooms, both with 100 people in. In the first room is 1 person with Covid-19, in the second room there's 10 people with Covid-19.

Which room do you think is safer for you to enter?

fernandopartridge

France has a strict lockdown and despite Astute droning on I know a couple of people on France and its been ignored by a large percentage of People

Poland has a 2 week quarantine - I know a polish national whose gone back for a bit and had to take a photograph of his isolated flat - he has then proceeded to go to his parents house and bring his mates round and get pisssed - now he’s on the way back - he ignored all the rules

Bloody hell G, that's Astute level evidence there. Poland has had 22k cases in total so I highly doubt that your friend's experience is necessarily reflective. That said, they seized on the early cases and took decisive action, traced where they'd come from (one of their first cases was from a person returning from that dreadful european hotspot Italy the UK)

The coventrian

I’m more disappointed that people will never be able to see some of their friends and family again due to the 'Chinese' government totally incompetent handling of this pandemic. At least some people can now go have a piss up in the park with their mates though, not like we’re still recording higher daily numbers than anyone else in Europe or anything like that.

Edited that for you.

NorthernWisdom

There'll be bellends in every country, a government is judged on how it manages the bellends.

Now I am sympathetic to the non-draconian approach, and overall I'd say this country started off lockdown pretty well. But it's got more and more muddled.

The coventrian

Never your fault on the right is it?

Always Europe, or Muslims, or refugees, or single mothers, or the Chinese.

Party of personal responsibility my arse.
The right? What are you on about?
This started in china. They tried to cover it up and its spread throughout the world. The Chinese government are guilty of mass murder.

shmmeee

The right? What are you on about?
This started in china. They tried to cover it up and its spread throughout the world. The Chinese government are guilty of mass murder.

So our handling of the pandemic is the fault of the Chinese? That’s why we’re so much worse than comparable nations? Nothing to do with us?

Loads of countries have handled this without killing tens of thousands of their own citizens. The spread may have come from Chinese obscurity at the start, but once the cats out the bag every country had a chance to react appropriately and we fluffed it.

And yes, the right. You know how you waffle on about lefties? That’s because you’re a rightie. The right are supposed to be the party of personal responsibility yet spend all their time excusing their failures as the fault of refugees/Muslims/foreigners.

Brighton Sky Blue

So our handling of the pandemic is the fault of the Chinese? That’s why we’re so much worse than comparable nations? Nothing to do with us?

Loads of countries have handled this without killing tens of thousands of their own citizens. The spread may have come from Chinese obscurity at the start, but once the cats out the bag every country had a chance to react appropriately and we fluffed it.

And yes, the right. You know how you waffle on about lefties? That’s because you’re a rightie. The right are supposed to be the party of personal responsibility yet spend all their time excusing their failures as the fault of refugees/Muslims/foreigners.

And pearl clutching if the country is ever criticised while calling everyone else a snowflake

The coventrian

Did the Chinese start this? Yes or no?
The Chinese are guilty of mass murder. What is it about criticism of another country you hate? Weird as fuck.

Grendel

Bloody hell G, that's Astute level evidence there. Poland has had 22k cases in total so I highly doubt that your friend's experience is necessarily reflective. That said, they seized on the early cases and took decisive action, traced where they'd come from (one of their first cases was from a person returning from that dreadful european hotspot Italy the UK)

You only have to look at the stops and fines in France to show it’s been ignored by a significant minority - Italy seemed to stop publishing fines in March - a percentage will
Always ignore - I think we’ve been pretty disciplined

Users who are viewing this thread